3ds files

dholmdholm Posts: 115

I just downloaded some fish. Will 3ds files work in Studio 4.6 and where should I put the files.

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,361
    edited December 1969

dholm said:
    I just downloaded some fish. Will 3ds files work in Studio 4.6 and where should I put the files.

No, DS doesn't support 3DS files

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited October 2013

You can use the following to convert 3DS files

3D Studio Max (30 day trial)
    Deep Exploration (30 day trial)
    PoseRay (free)

I have a PDF tutorial on 3d file conversions if you need it. Click on the link in my sig for my free stuff. You will find it there.

Post edited by Mattymanx on
  • DogzDogz Posts: 896
    edited December 1969

dholm said:
    and where should I put the files.

You will need to do as Matty suggested to export them out to.OBJ with another program, once done you don't need to 'put' the files anywhere, rather, you must import them to Daz studio file > import.
    You can then save them as a prop (.Duf) -or just save it as a scene.
  • dholmdholm Posts: 115
    edited December 1969

Thank Matt and Dogz I need all the help I can get. I will look at the three files and see which one would be best for me.
    So If I find an item like from the NASA web site that has .OBJ files that I just need import them then save as a prop or a scene. I think I can mange that.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Note that it is possible to save a perfectly working .3ds file out of 3DSMAX that loads into other programs (e.g. PoseRay) looking as if it's exploded. It seems to be a weirdness with the way 3DSMAX handles reshaped objects made from basic primitive shapes — some of the behind-the-scenes processing is done by the program and can't be done by another program converting the file. Just something to watch out for; the majority of .3ds files I have convert with no major problems.