New Users Contest *October 2013* ►►► WIP THREAD ◄◄◄

Comments

• TeofaTeofa Posts: 823
    edited October 2013

Ok, good timing. SickleYield has offered up this entire set on Share CG. The thread is here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/31058/

it is not textured at all. It includes all of the Templates needed to make mapped textures, which is next month. Even if not into fantasy, the boots alone are worth the download, they could be steampunk or goth.. or a lot of things.

I threw some shaders on the set. (not a wip or entry)

the only things not part of the set are the Breastplate and quiver.

sytest.png
    757 x 1000 - 774K
    Post edited by Teofa on
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

My first thought when I saw this outfit was it is perfect for the texture contest next month.

I wonder how many versions we will see?

• Mcjam24Mcjam24 Posts: 115
    edited December 1969

I call dibs on the making the orange peel suit :-)

edited December 1969

mcjam24 said:
    I call dibs on the making the orange peel suit :-)

I am looking forward to seeing that...and with that statement you just opened all kinds of possibilities for me.

Not the orange peel of course. I will leave that to you.

• TeofaTeofa Posts: 823
    edited December 1969

ha haahaa. I so want to see the Orange peel suit

goofingoff.png
    530 x 700 - 464K
    edited December 1969

Latest version.

Adjusted the forelock and made adjustments to the spot light illuminating the base.

ONUC_TWO_45.jpg
    800 x 640 - 265K
    edited December 1969

And for the environmentally concerned thief comes Wuzzles Sneaksuit mark VII, it also has the added benefit of changing its colour over time, provided you can stomach the smell

Just_for_fun.jpg
    800 x 800 - 268K
    edited October 2013

And on a serious note, here's my attempt at turning the bowl into glass

OctoberContest8.jpg
    800 x 800 - 362K
    Post edited by Mcjam24 on
  • DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,783
    edited December 1969

mcjam24 said:

Very nice job! Glass is actually one of the harder things to get right (glass and metal and liquids IMHO) and you did a very nice job :) You could maybe add a touch of specular to it )or add a bit more if you have some on the part the oranges are sitting it) but even without it you did a very nice job :)

edited December 1969

spmwc said:
    Just a simple blue shader on the body of the car along with a slightly darker blue shader on the girl's bikini. This is the first time I have ever used a shader. Thank you Jaderail for the Tutorial.

You're doing very well :) Keep playing! You'll find as you play you will learn more and more and what you can do with shaders honestly is almost limitless to a degree and the learning process on it seems kinda never ending. I've been messing with Poser shaders for like 10 years now and I still am constantly like oh neat look what this did or playing around and finding new effects etc :)

edited December 1969

Added a, hopefully, subtle spotlight to light up the top of the base and the hooves of DAZ Horse 2.

Very pretty! :)

Honestly I've been following and all of you are just doing really really great! Can't wait to see how it goes when you all combine this with texturing next month...that is when the fun really really begins hehe :) Next thing you know, you all will be texturing and shader addicts ROFL :)

edited December 1969

A little OT but I think the winners this month should get their very own Orange Shader by mcjam24 hehe :) All the orange peel jokes have been making me chuckle. Hmm maybe we can give out a special orange award...you know trophy with an orange on it or something to most creative use of Orange Peel :)

edited December 1969

mcjam24 said:
    And for the environmentally concerned thief comes Wuzzles Sneaksuit mark VII, it also has the added benefit of changing its colour over time, provided you can stomach the smell

Love it.

You might want to consider posting this in SY's thread in the General Freepository. But only if you are not going to use it in next month's Texture Contest.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/31058/

edited December 1969

A little OT but I think the winners this month should get their very own Orange Shader by mcjam24 hehe :) All the orange peel jokes have been making me chuckle. Hmm maybe we can give out a special orange award...you know trophy with an orange on it or something to most creative use of Orange Peel :)

LOL....works for me....or even better, if I can figure out how to take screenshots in Daz Studio, I can show people how I made it.

edited December 1969

Love it.

You might want to consider posting this in SY's thread in the General Freepository. But only if you are not going to use it in next month's Texture Contest.

Thank you. And I'll think I'll do that, thanks for the idea

edited December 1969

mcjam24 said:

LOL....works for me....or even better, if I can figure out how to take screenshots in Daz Studio, I can show people how I made it.

If you do that then maybe we should have a special rule in November that all renders have to include an orange peel shader somewhere in the render. :lol:

• SiscaSisca Posts: 875
    edited December 1969

mcjam24 said:

What OS are you using?

For Windows there are several methods.

The simplest is to hit the Print Screen key (sometimes labeled as Prnt Scrn or Prt Scn) which will copy an image of your current desktop to the clipboard. You can then open up any graphics program and paste it then save it.

If you're using Windows 8 you can also hit the Windows Key + Print Screen and it will automatically save a .PNG image of your desktop in your Screenshots directory.

If you just want to capture 1 window on your desktop you can use Alt+Print Screen to capture the active window to the clipboard then paste that into your graphics app to save.

If you're using Windows Vista, 7 or 8 you should also have the Snipping Tool (you should be able to hit the windows key and start typing Snipping to have it find it for you) that will allow you to do all of the above as well as grab just a section of your screen and even add notes to the image before saving it.

• firefly43firefly43 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Been down for a few days (health issues) but I'm back part of the time now.

Though I have been having fun learning to make shaders, I still am still unfamiliar with the basics needed to even start a scene. I can load a figure, but can't make the clothes fit right.

Apparently I need to go through my library and find out what was made for who. A dialogue comes up sometimes to assist with fitting (not sure what that is about) but it always wants to know who the original figure for the clothes is, and of course I have no clue ... LOL.

So I doubt I will have time to actually make a scene and enter, but I am still playing to learn. Eventually I will learn the basics of using Daz ... then there will be no stopping me ... :cheese:

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,188
    edited December 1969

As long as your having fun that is all that matters

edited December 1969

@Sisca...thank you, I'm feeling a little sheepish now, since I've used the sniping tool a few times just never made the connection...sigh...:-)

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited October 2013

spmwc said:
    Just a simple blue shader on the body of the car along with a slightly darker blue shader on the girl's bikini. This is the first time I have ever used a shader. Thank you Jaderail for the Tutorial.

That is a very cool-looking shader. It doesn't exactly look like car paint to me* but I'd like to see it applied to clothing.

*That's okay...I think it gives the car a unique appearance. I like it. Though if you want to go for a more realistic shiny paint effect, maybe concentrate on the highlights (spec/glossiness/reflection).

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
    edited December 1969

mcjam24 said:

:lol: Very cool! Is that orange juice on his skin??
    edited December 1969

mcjam24 said:

Very nice job! Glass is actually one of the harder things to get right (glass and metal and liquids IMHO) and you did a very nice job :) You could maybe add a touch of specular to it )or add a bit more if you have some on the part the oranges are sitting it) but even without it you did a very nice job :)
    I second this... :)

edited December 1969

mcjam24 said:

:lol: Very cool! Is that orange juice on his skin??

Well...an attempt at it anyway :-)

edited December 1969

Ok, lets see if I can do this right.....ahem....

let's see how well I can explain things shall we....
    This is how I made the orange shader, its not the only way to get to the end result, just the way I went with, and yes for those more experienced I'm always wanting to learn better ways so feel free to critique, suggest improvements, throw money.... :-)

1. This first thing I did is the same thing as all the other mini tutorials here, I created a primitive, in this case a sphere.

2. Then, making sure that I had the sphere selected in the scene tab and the surfaces tab I loaded up the Shader Mixer by going to Windows->Tabs->Shader Mixer.

3. This is a personal preference, (and where having a large monitor helps out...remind me to get one) but I like to dock it to the top of my screen and make it as wide as I can.

4. Again personal preference, but in the Shader Mixer window, I go to Edit->Preferences and then make sure that I have a check mark in
    Brick Flow : From Right to Left.

5. Ok, now what we see is like my first image I've attached, we have two bricks connected by some lines. There is a Surface brick, and a DS Default Material brick. The Material brick you'll notice gives us a lot of the same options (Diffuse, Specular, Opacity, etc) that we're used too, and if you click on one of the sideways arrows, you'll get a drop down allowing you to change the setting, like I've done in the second image with the diffuse. And because I'm looking to make an orange shader, I'm picking an orange value.

6. See that sphere displayed in the top left corner? If you click on it, you'll get a preview render of your current shader build, but until you click on the green Apply button on the lower right corner your working surface doesn't get updated...something to keep in mind, you can play without borking your scene.

7. So now, I wanted to get something to work as a bump map, and since I'm too lazy to google one, I thought I'd make one. I did this by right clicking on an empty part of the shader mixer window, when the context menu appeared I selected Insert->Bricks (default)->Functions->Textures->Clouds and got the Cloud Brick as a result.

8. Notice the word Preview on the top corner of the brick? If you click on it, you'll get a mini render of that brick's output like in image 4.

9. Yep, we got clouds...but not really anything related to an orange now is it? So I changed the Lacunarity value to something like 4.25 and looked at the preview again by clicking on the rendered sphere one more time....and got image 5.

Image_2.png
    1244 x 536 - 105K
    Image_5.png
    237 x 392 - 19K
    Image_4.png
    276 x 388 - 19K
    Image_3.png
    349 x 338 - 6K
    Image_1.PNG
    768 x 576 - 140K
    edited December 1969

10. Ok, so now is where it gets into the nitty gritty, I'm going to right click anywhere in the window, making sure my cursor isn't on any of the bricks, to bring up the context menu, then I'm going to select Insert->Bricks (Default)->Root->Displacement. Much like the Surface brick, we need to connect other bricks to drive it, so i'm going to insert the DS Default Displacement found under Insert->Bricks (Default)->Functions->Geometric->Special->Ds Default Displacement.

11. I've moved the surface and material bricks down to make things easier to see in image 8, so now we want to connect up these bricks to make things happen, so here's the basics of how the displacement is going to work, if I connect the two N connections (New N on the Displacement Brick, and Displaced Normal on the DS Default Displacement Brick) we'll end up with a bump effect, if we connect the two P connections we'll get an actual displacement effect. But only if we provide a map, which is what our cloud brick will do for us.

12. So lets connect the cloud pattern output to the Displace input, and then connect the Displaced Normal to the New N input like in Image 9.

13. Once again I'm going to preview my overall shader at this point just to see how it looks...looks like image 10.

Image_10.png
    240 x 229 - 40K
    Image_9.png
    747 x 305 - 23K
    Image_8.png
    764 x 294 - 22K
    Image_7.png
    753 x 337 - 27K
    Image_6.png
    511 x 398 - 26K
    edited December 1969

its a little too subtle, so lets try tweaking the min and max values of the default displacement brick, for now, well okay because I spent a lot of time in October playing I know that if I change the Max to 0.30 and check the shader preview again....looks a little better now(image 12) but lets see how it really renders...

14. I'm going to apply the shader by clicking on the green apply button in the lower right corner of the screen, and then hide the shader mixer window and render (Image 13).....not too shabby...but there is a catch....try changing to scale of the sphere to something like 10% which would be closer to the size of an orange compared to a person and render again (Image 14)....yikes....but fear not there is a way to fix it.

15. Go back to the surfaces tab with the sphere still selected, you'll notice that the options you have available have changed to that of the shader mixer, and if you scroll down you'll see sliders for Min and Max values. These correspond to the min and max values on the DS Default Displacement brick, so if you decrease the difference between these two...I ended up with 0 for my min and 0.15 for my max and tried again

16. I added some lights to get some better shadow effects and render again gives me....the last image. Image 15.

Image_15.jpg
    800 x 800 - 18K
    Image_14.jpg
    800 x 800 - 14K
    Image_13.jpg
    800 x 800 - 78K
    Image_12.png
    225 x 234 - 43K
    Image_11.png
    713 x 363 - 27K
    edited December 1969

I know, a lot of effort when I could have used the daz default shader and just applied a decent bump map, but it was playing with different texture bricks, playing with mixing things that led me to my leather shader, and to my velvet shader....

I'm just hoping I explained things well enough

• firefly43firefly43 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

okay .... might not be the best ever done, but I found a video that showed me how to do more then I knew how to do an hour ago. So here is my first full scene render. I changed the outfit and the arm bracelet using my created shaders.

Is it passable?

Lost3.jpg
    750 x 673 - 455K
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

firefly43 said:
    Is it passable?
    The only one that needs to decide that is YOU. To me I see it as a well done render and ready for the contest if you say it is. Everything the contest is about is here. I even like the composition.