May 2019 - Daz3D New User Challenge: Action & Props

1235»

Comments

• dtrscbrutaldtrscbrutal Posts: 463

@dragoneyes002 Thanks for the info!

• Sisyphus1977Sisyphus1977 Posts: 305
    edited May 2019

Well here are my final versions for this challenge.  I have attached the Windsurfer scene too, but as we are only allowed two scenes, it is not an entry.  I can say that the water and splashes in these scenes were more challenging that I originally anticipated.  Saw this product on the store today that looked like it might have been interesting to see what could be created with it (https://www.daz3d.com/jw-3d-water-props-vol-2).

Bigger Boat Full Shot Final.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Bigger Boat Wide Shot Final.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Windsurf Final.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by Sisyphus1977 on
  • Made some tweaks, and let it bake overnight. Woke to find DAZ crashing, but the new version was where I told it to put it.

19-05-Prone-Unsupported-Mk1

Changelog:

• Swapped the skysphere from FMEE AutumnHills to FMEE GreenHills. Much cheerier!
    • Tweaked the shooter's pose to try to get her head closer to the rear sight. This is about as close as I can get while keeping her eye aligned.
    • Dformed the blanket under the shooter.
    • Lowered the grass by 1.5 cm. The plane under the grass has way too few polys to dform.
    • Scattered brass. Most of it is off screen, because I forgot to check the camera angle while doing that.
    • Camera settings:
      • .5 vignetting
      • .5 crush blacks
      • 1.2 saturation
      • 2.4 gamma
    • Rotate dome 120 degrees to put the sun in the right place.
    • Added trees way behind (z = -16384) to break up the hill outline.

19-05-Prone-Unsupported-Mk1.jpg
    1920 x 1440 - 2M
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited May 2019

@rcbcgreenpanzer, That looks really good.

If you were inclined to tweak further, (not that the image really needs it, but for future ideas, perhaps,) you could move her and the blanket up a bit, to give yourself some room between the blanket the terrain to make more obvious indentations for her elbow and body.

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 4,980

Sisyphus, those renderings are really quite something. So dynamic, telling a story and gaining sympathy.

Rcbcgreenpanzer, you were so lucky. In 2006, I did a render that, due to a power blip 25 hours in, never finished. Just gave up on it.. The result is really good. I do like the pose. I can see how it must have taken absolutely ages to do.

Regards,

Richard.

• rcbcgreenpanzerrcbcgreenpanzer Posts: 99
    edited May 2019

Sisyphus, those renderings are really quite something. So dynamic, telling a story and gaining sympathy.

Rcbcgreenpanzer, you were so lucky. In 2006, I did a render that, due to a power blip 25 hours in, never finished. Just gave up on it.. The result is really good. I do like the pose. I can see how it must have taken absolutely ages to do.

Regards,

Richard.

@richardandtracy_e725004c1a: I had my share of misfortune happen earlier this month. I figured out how to use the Geometry editor tool, and painstakingly cleared the grass blades that were clipping through the blanket. Switch the viewport to Iray to get a glance at how it was shaping up, and boom! DAZ crashed. Load it back up, and the blanket is a pincushion of grass blades! >_< And that's not even getting into when I was wrestling with procedurally scattering lots of instances!

I'm really grateful for modern computing power, because I would not be able to stand locking down my computer for multiple full days while things cook!

If you were inclined to tweak further, (not that the image really needs it, but for future ideas, perhaps,) you could move her and the blanket up a bit, to give yourself some room between the blanket the terrain to make more obvious indentations for her elbow and body.

@L'Adair: I suspect I need to figure out how to make the indentations sharper, as there's currently one underneath her core, but I can't see it in the render. You're right that there should also be a one for each of her elbows; I had completely forgotten about those. I'm still floundering when it comes to applying dFormers.

By the way, the block in your signature reminds me of a bit of the philosophy behind Perl: TMTOWTDI (There's More Than One Way To Do It). EDIT: I don't think the forum software likes the apostraphe in your username.

Post edited by rcbcgreenpanzer on

@rcbcgreenpanzer You made some great improvements, nice work! Super job on the lighting and grass too. Where did you get the hearing protection?

edited June 2019

@L'Adair: I suspect I need to figure out how to make the indentations sharper, as there's currently one underneath her core, but I can't see it in the render. You're right that there should also be a one for each of her elbows; I had completely forgotten about those. I'm still floundering when it comes to applying dFormers.

By the way, the block in your signature reminds me of a bit of the philosophy behind Perl: TMTOWTDI (There's More Than One Way To Do It). EDIT: I don't think the forum software likes the apostraphe in your username.

No. It really doesn't. Doesn't like spaces or dots either. Basically any puncutation is "read" as a stop character.
    sad

You will find you can do some really nice morphs once you start painting in the weights, instead of depending on the sphere. I don't know when that became possible, but it's been a real boon to my workflow.

Post edited by L'Adair on

This challenge is now closed.

Thanks to everyone for participating!

L'Adair said:

You will find you can do some really nice morphs once you start painting in the weights, instead of depending on the sphere. I don't know when that became possible, but it's been a real boon to my workflow.

THANK YOU!!  I can't tell you how much time and effort I have put in trying to get Dformers to work the way I want in my scenes using that sphere and field.  I will now go back and see what I can do with this new knowledge.

• WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893

This was a fun month!

I agree, it was fun. I learnt a lot. I suspect the thing I learnt most is the importance of details. And lighting and pose and.. I'll avoid going on. Just about everything, really.

Regards,

Richard.

L'Adair said:

THANK YOU!!  I can't tell you how much time and effort I have put in trying to get Dformers to work the way I want in my scenes using that sphere and field.  I will now go back and see what I can do with this new knowledge.

You're welcome. laugh

• Great participation, wonderful ideas and creativity.  A really great challenge this month.

@rcbcgreenpanzer - I really like your image and appreciate the heck out of you sharing some of your process.  I've been wanting to fool around with some of the camera settings so it was nice to see how you used them.  I also have never thought of using the geometry editor to get rid of pesky poke through grass.

• @rcbcgreenpanzer You made some great improvements, nice work! Super job on the lighting and grass too. Where did you get the hearing protection?

@dtrscbrutal: Headphones ON from hypnagogia's Retro Surveillance Equipment.

@rcbcgreenpanzer - I really like your image and appreciate the heck out of you sharing some of your process.  I've been wanting to fool around with some of the camera settings so it was nice to see how you used them.  I also have never thought of using the geometry editor to get rid of pesky poke through grass.

@ariochsnowpaw: The camera settings are a real hidden gem. I flounder at them, and somehow it makes the image astoundingly better. I'm starting to wonder if the defaults are garbage, because even just bumping up the saturation seems to bring things closer to pictures my cellphone can take. (It is not an expensive phone.)

Hiding/deleting polys is about all I've managed to figure out how to do with the geometry tool. Even that was somewhat painful, as everything is through the right-click menu, rather than in panes (even the tool settings pane has very little for it).

@rcbcgreenpanzer Thank you!

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,783

Sorry for the slight delay in posting the results of the challenge this month. They should be posted here in a few days smiley Thanks for your patience smiley

May 2019

Showcased Participants for the May Action and Props Render Challenge

Lights, Camera, Action!

Given to the person who created a scene or scenes that make you feel as if you are in the center of all the action.

The New User we felt best showed that this month was sisyphus1977xx

The images have been resized to fit in the page. Click to enlarge.

It's in the Details
    Given to the person who created a complex scene with multiple prop elements that added to the telling of the story..

The New User we felt best showed that this month was TigerAnne

The image has been resized to fit in the page. Click to enlarge.

Once Upon a Time
    Given to the person who created an image that pulled all elements together into one cohesive tale.

The New Users we felt best showcased that this month were marjoemartino

This image has been resized to fit in the page. Click to enlarge.

and ariochsnowpaw

New User Welcome

Kimonolady

Congratulations to all the winners! Of note, this had to be the hardest month of judging I think we ever had. The tally's were very close. To every single person who participated, please know you ALL did an EXCELLENT job! heartheartheart

• WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893

OMGOSH I'm so happy! laugh Congratulations to everyone! We had so much fun, didn't we?

• Amazing work everyone!

Congrats to all the winners and my thanks to everyone that helped me with your suggestions!

@TigerAnne - I totally agree...these challenges really are fun!

Worthy winners. Congratulations.

Richard.

• TigerAnne said:

OMGOSH I'm so happy! laugh Congratulations to everyone! We had so much fun, didn't we?

Same here as well and I learned a lot too, thanks too everyone that participated in this challenge as well as those that gave us advice along the way.

This was a fun challenge to see what everyone was able to create.  I look at everyone's efforts as an inspiration to improve my art.  Cheers and congratulations to everyone and thank you.

• CoryllonCoryllon Posts: 276
    Grats to everyone. I may not have won, but I learned things so, I still win and those winners were hard competition anyway, it was loosing a shooting match to Wild Bill. I just am glad I got to compete.

Belated congratulations to the showcased! Some great work, and many wonderful images in last months challenge!