No one asked me - Diomede screenshots on whatever - Warning AI Discussion OK

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    Selinita said:

Yes Ted, so it seems - to stop the movement of hotpoint - disable autoposition - that's what I did with the sphere - but if you've got a different hotpoint setting to the center of the object it might not preserve it when exported, I don't know - an experiment for another day!

You are correct again. yes

Disabling autoposition places object back in same posiiton, but does not prevent the hot point from being moved.  I had to hit caps lock and adjust hot point by hand.

Aaaargh.

Somewhere along the export/import trail I forgot to turn off smoothing.  The newly imported model has many more polygons now.  sad

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Odd I work in centimetres in Carrara and 2400 has always been the number for importing  into DAZ studio 

Carrara still works in inches internally, regardless of what you set the UI units to.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

Here it is with checker texture applied.

wow thats a 'wow'. nice work

edited May 2019

Thanks, here is an update.  Unfortunately, I unintentionally converted the smoothed mesh to quadruple the number of polygons.  However, I did rearrange the UV islands to create 4 different maps.  The face and ears are on one map, the arms/legs/feet/hands are on another, a third has the torso/head, and the fourth has the eyes and mouth/teeth/tongue.  Get greater potential detail this way.  I've placed the same number in front of shader domains that share the sameUVMap like was done for V4.

bb01 textures labeled by map.JPG
    420 x 849 - 54K
    bb02 face map.JPG
    1293 x 716 - 112K
    bb03 adjust uvmap ans chcker texture.jpg
    700 x 817 - 33K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,811
    edited May 2019

That’s something program’s logically should be able to do but not many can do so,

reverse subdivision of quads

I can understand how decimation destroys UV mapping and topology but if something is subdivided it basically has 4 squares for every one each level of subdivision so polyreducing it should be the same as subdividing it yet not too many programs do this, AFAIK Blender is the only thing that might be able to, I mean UUW3D can polyreduce as can DAZ decimator keeping UV but it ends up a triangulated mess.

only way might be painful ring or loop selection and dissolve 

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
    edited May 2019

Yes but Ted accidentally exported his mesh from Carrara with skinning and subdivision and overwrote or lost his original.

I can apparently fix this in Zbrush but for those without there is this

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/modeling/modifiers/generate/decimate.html

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited March 2021

edited March 2021

Selinita said:

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/modeling/modifiers/generate/decimate.html

You can use 3D-Coat's retop(ology) room to create a new mesh too!

Yeah he didn’t want a new mesh though just his lost one back, the frustration is real and depending on if you closed Carrara or not, exported rather than saved or edit removed unused objects etc

edited May 2019
    Selinita said:

You can use 3D-Coat's retop(ology) room to create a new mesh too!

Yup - experimenting with retopology is next.  Then sculpting.  Then baking displacement and normal maps from hi poly meshes on low poly meshes.  I guess I'm doing it backwards.  

Eventually, look forward to using some of Philemo's phong and HD plugins to spruce up my low poly models.

edited March 2021

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,689
    Selinita said:

I can't wait to see your progress Ted.

I think 3D-Coat is a wonderful program and will hold fantastic capabilities for Carrara. It doesn't seem to preserve bones so this will have to be done elsewhere. I think you can copy weightmapping and bones from one mesh to another in Nukeygara's Akeytsu - so maybe that's something else to have a go at ;)

Watching with interest as well. Finish watching the tutes this weekend, then next week join in the fun with 3D-Coat !!!

edited March 2021

edited March 2021

edited May 2019

Excellent caustics.  I really like that underwater effect.  May have to try myself.

Here is how I made a hexagon hive lattice, which is a free zip file on the first page of the June 2016 Challenge (Structure/Unstructure).

I started in the vertex modeler by constructing an oval and choosing 6 sides.  I then duplicated, translated, and welded to get 2 joined hexagons on one side.  Repeated for 4, 8, 16, etc.  When satisfied with size, I extruded once holding shift and once holding control to get the recessed hexagons.  Made sure that the box for linking extrude was unchecked.  I created separate shader domains for the front edges and back faces (easy selections from side view).  I then selected texture zero to create the interior walls shader domain.  For UVMapping, I started with the interior walls selected.  I detached polygons and used the planar preset, Z axis, split by orientation.  I then selected the back faces and the front edges.  I detached polygons and applied a planar preset, no split, Y axis.  I then scaled and placed the UVs.

Freebie found in challenge thread - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4626586/#Comment_4626586

aa01 model Hexagon hive from 6 sided oval duplicate and weld.JPG
    1081 x 772 - 94K
    aa02 extrude tool no link polygon but yes hold shift.JPG
    1199 x 812 - 175K
    aa03 rpeat extrude but hold control key.JPG
    1261 x 816 - 223K
    aa04 shading domain backs.JPG
    1372 x 782 - 196K
    aa05 Front Edges shading domain.JPG
    1323 x 774 - 213K
    aa06 uvmap inside walls detach polygons use planar preset spliit orientation Z direction.JPG
    1490 x 754 - 164K
    aa07 Final UVMap.JPG
    1573 x 771 - 211K
    edited March 2021

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,800
    edited June 2019

thought I'd try as well...

used a replicator 

Honeycomb replicator.png
    640 x 480 - 584K
    Post edited by Stezza on

Looking great, Selina and Dave.  

RE: welding.  For the first duplication, I welded the two points individually.  After that, I translated the new duplicate to overlap one jagged row of edges, and clicked "use custom tolerance" in the weld dialogue to weld the row of verteces all at once.

RE: replication.  Looks great.  I had thought the jagged edges would have presented more of a challenge to get the cell size correct in replication.

edited March 2021

edited March 2021

almost looks like bubble wrap

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    Selinita said:

Yep, a breeze - internal tube done!

DON'T YOU JUST LOVE CARRARA !!!

What I love is how you are exposing the near-infinite capabilities of Carrara in such beautiful and elegant ways.

I hope that you enter the current Challenge.  The theme this month is made for you!

And thanks to Diomede for starting this thread.  It is one eye-opener after another.

edited March 2021

edited March 2021

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234
    Selinita said:

Using Water:Waves to create an interesting caustic pattern...

FishFACEcaustic by Selinita

This 'fish face' has bones for the eyes and morphed lips (so far)

I love that! Not only is it a beautiful use of Waves to create the caustic pattern - it's adorable!!

thought I'd try as well...

used a replicator 

So very clever! I love how there are many ways to accomplish things in Carrara.

Excellent caustics.  I really like that underwater effect.  May have to try myself.

Here is how I made a hexagon hive lattice, which is a free zip file on the first page of the June 2016 Challenge (Structure/Unstructure).

I started in the vertex modeler by constructing an oval and choosing 6 sides.  I then duplicated, translated, and welded to get 2 joined hexagons on one side.  Repeated for 4, 8, 16, etc.  When satisfied with size, I extruded once holding shift and once holding control to get the recessed hexagons.  Made sure that the box for linking extrude was unchecked.  I created separate shader domains for the front edges and back faces (easy selections from side view).  I then selected texture zero to create the interior walls shader domain.  For UVMapping, I started with the interior walls selected.  I detached polygons and used the planar preset, Z axis, split by orientation.  I then selected the back faces and the front edges.  I detached polygons and applied a planar preset, no split, Y axis.  I then scaled and placed the UVs.

Freebie found in challenge thread - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4626586/#Comment_4626586

Thanks Diomede for the freebie and the modeling tips. You rock! I mucked around with the model and posted in the results over in the current challenge. 

Thanks, here is an update.  Unfortunately, I unintentionally converted the smoothed mesh to quadruple the number of polygons.  However, I did rearrange the UV islands to create 4 different maps.  The face and ears are on one map, the arms/legs/feet/hands are on another, a third has the torso/head, and the fourth has the eyes and mouth/teeth/tongue.  Get greater potential detail this way.  I've placed the same number in front of shader domains that share the sameUVMap like was done for V4.

Oh no! This may be a dumb question, but do you make incremental saves, like Figure_001, Figure_002 etc.? Once I get to a certain point I make those types of saves, especially if I'm going to do something that might drastically alter the model. I've had many "Argh!!" moments before, and sure to have many more.

Anyways, thanks for detailed explanations as usual. I have looked at 3D coat over the past years, usually around the holiday season when it goes on sale - not the full blown pro version. But I still haven't made the purchase. Maybe this year...