Iray - sun and scene lighting?

BradCarstenBradCarsten Posts: 856
edited June 2017 in New Users

I'm using the sun setting, and would like to add some additional lights in the scene, but the only options I'm seeing are Dome and scene, dome only, sun only and scene only. is there really no way to use the sun with additional lights?

Post edited by BradCarsten on

Comments

• If you use Dome and Scene, then remove the map from Environment, you will have access to the Sun/Sky settings.

• BradCarstenBradCarsten Posts: 856

Aaaah, fantastic! Thank you so much.

• DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,384

I've actually always been sort of confused about the functions of Dome Only, Dome and Scene, Sun Only and Scene Only. These are lighting options? I know I've run into problems in the past and the solution was something like "Switch to Dome Only" but I didn't really know what that meant apart from it fixed my problem. I'd love a little background on this if anyone has the time. :)

• DDCreate said:

I've actually always been sort of confused about the functions of Dome Only, Dome and Scene, Sun Only and Scene Only. These are lighting options? I know I've run into problems in the past and the solution was something like "Switch to Dome Only" but I didn't really know what that meant apart from it fixed my problem. I'd love a little background on this if anyone has the time. :)

They are options controlling which lights are used: Scene lights are emissive surfaces and actual lights loaded into the scene; Sun and Sky is a daylight simulation which is given location and time to mimic; dome, when a map is assigned to the Environment, uses the map to light the scene (which can simulate an indoor or outdoor setting); dome without a map is the same as Sun and Sky.

• DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,384

Ahhhh, I see. Thanks Richard! I think I need to do some experimenting there! Especially for my outdoor scenes! Thanks for filling me in!

• That's brilliant, but how do I remove the map from the Environment?

• VargrVargr Posts: 22

@agenttygress:

Go to Render Settings. Go to Enviroment. About five fields down you find Environment Map.

In the left side of that "bar" there is a little picture. Left click the picture. A (normally) huge drop-down menu appears.

Somewhere near the top is a "None". Select that one.

Done.

• LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,118
    edited May 2019

I usually set "Environment Intensity" to 0.00000something with the Dome on :)

Post edited by LenioTG on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    LenioTG said:

What you are effectively doing is turning off the light from the dome doing that.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    LenioTG said:

Too many keystrokes! wink

I just change the value to 0. DS converts that to 0.00.

Regardless, setting either Environment Map or Environment Intensity to zero effectlvely removes the Environment from the light equation, as @Fishtales stated. Setting the Environment Map image to None does not. It will still add light to the scene. (It's fast and easy to test in the viewport with Nvidia Iray draw mode and an empty scene.)