Trying to move My Daz 3D Library to larger hard drive - BIG Problem!

jukingeojukingeo Posts: 693

Hello All,

I am at the point where I have no more room on my C: Drive and I was tipped off on this procedure to move the content to another drive:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/293476/move-content-library-to-a-different-drive

I am following the procedure on the 3rd post down by IainW.

I did the first step and copied the  My Daz 3D Library folder to the larger hard drive.  When the operation was completed, I wanted to verify that everything moved over.   When I opened up the hard drive where I copied the contents too, I see now TWO Daz Studio Folders when there should be one.  Opening either one says the folder is empty.   However, the top one is actually empty, but the bottom one says it has 150gb of info in it.  Also right clicking on the drive shows that the files have been copied as the percentage shows 150gb used.  I went into the folder to check the permissions and I changed it to full access, that didn't work.  The box for hidden folders is NOT checked.

Pleaese see the attached file.  You see that it says the folder is empty, but it, in fact has 150gb of data on it.  So if that is the case, why is it coming up empty?  Also how is it that I have a second Daz Studio folder that was created and that one is actually empty?

I don't think I missed a step as I just did the first one and copied (not moved) the My Daz 3D Library folder on the new hard drive.  It seems as if the information is there, but it doesn't show up on the explorer when I click on that drive.

I went ahead to the second and third step by going into Daz Studio and using the Content Directory Manager.  When clicking on "Add" I navigated to where the folder is on the new drive and again, it says the folder is empty.  So I don't know what went wrong and why I can't see my folders.  They ARE there, but they are not showing up in the Windows Explorer, nor in the Daz Studio program.

Please help! Any assistance would be appreciated as that folder has my renders in it and I can't see that one either.

Thank you,

Comments

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

Okay, that is certainly odd behaviour, jukingeo. I don't use Windows 10, so hopefully the issue isn't some idiosyncrasy associated with that. Let us assume for the time being that it is not. A few questions, first.

How was your new drive physically connected to the PC? Was it installed in a spare drive bay and connected to a spare SATA port on the motherboard? Was it connected as an external drive?

How did you complete the transfer from your C: drive to your new drive? Drag and drop in explorer?

(the existence of that second content library folder on the new drive is troublesome, since Windows shouldn't even allow two folders to have the same name like that)

There are a couple of other things that I would like you to check, but I'd like to know exactly what was done (the devil is in the details) vis-a-vis my two questions prior to going further.

• jukingeojukingeo Posts: 693
    SixDs said:

Okay, that is certainly odd behaviour, jukingeo. I don't use Windows 10, so hopefully the issue isn't some idiosyncrasy associated with that. Let us assume for the time being that it is not. A few questions, first.

How was your new drive physically connected to the PC? Was it installed in a spare drive bay and connected to a spare SATA port on the motherboard? Was it connected as an external drive?

How did you complete the transfer from your C: drive to your new drive? Drag and drop in explorer?

(the existence of that second content library folder on the new drive is troublesome, since Windows shouldn't even allow two folders to have the same name like that)

There are a couple of other things that I would like you to check, but I'd like to know exactly what was done (the devil is in the details) vis-a-vis my two questions prior to going further.

Hello SixDs,

I am not using Windows 10 either.  I am on Windows 7 as that was the only decent release since Windows XP.  If I had my way, my box would have been totally Linux a long time ago.  However, certain things, such as Daz Studio, I still need Windows for.

Yes, I did the drag and drop method of which I do with everything for the computer and I never had a duplicate folder come up like that.  Worse, I dragged and dropped into a folder that had other data in it...Namely the finished renders of my Daz creations.

The drive itself is a third Sata drive that I added to my machine.  Hard drive 1, my main one, is divided into two partitions and one has Windows 7 on it and the other has Ubuntu Studio Linux 16.04 on it. 

From what I have been gathering on my own, this is a Windows gaff.  At any rate, I decided to boot my machine into Linux and low and behold I was able to see the contents of that folder again.  That was a was a sigh of relief for me, as I immediately created a new folder...this time named DazStudio without the space in it and then copied the contents over.  I then went back into Windows and thankfully I was able to see the contents of the newly created DazStudio folder.   I tried to delete the old folders, and one deleted, but Windows wouldn't let me delete the other one.  It came up with a message saying it at trouble finding it.

At any rate, I continued with the transfer procedure as outlined in the document and have successfully set up the new My Daz 3D Library on the new drive.  Naturally as the document said to do, I had to alter the installation location that the DM uses.   Since I had some content that I purchased but didn't download yet, I tried a few items first, not doing the whole batch.  I verified that the installation was on the new hard drive and not going on to the C drive.    I then went into Daz Studio to verify that the items have installed, which they did.   I then went to d a larger download and again checked everything.

So in a nutshell, I think I was lucky and didn't lose my data and I was able to fix the issue.  However, I don't know what to do with the one corrupt folder.   I am in Linux again right now and it looks like I am able to delete it there.  I just hope it doesn't take anything with it when I do that.  But now the question comes up to why it happened in the first place.  I never had something like that happen...ever.   I was even surprised when I went to the file system and saw the two folder of the same name.   Thankfully I am on a dual boot machine and sometimes when issues crop up in Windows, particularly hard drive issues, I can potentiall fix them in Linux.

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

As long as you are choosing the right folder to delete from Linux, deleting it should not be an issue. It sounds like some sort of glitch in the MFT (Master File Table) which is showing a folder that doesn't really exist insofar as Windows is concerned. Just remember, Windows is dumb as a post. Glad that you have it sorted out. (Oh, and it would bug me in principle, too, to have that non-existent folder showing up every time I opened explorer smiley).

• jukingeojukingeo Posts: 693
    SixDs said:

As long as you are choosing the right folder to delete from Linux, deleting it should not be an issue. It sounds like some sort of glitch in the MFT (Master File Table) which is showing a folder that doesn't really exist insofar as Windows is concerned. Just remember, Windows is dumb as a post. Glad that you have it sorted out. (Oh, and it would bug me in principle, too, to have that non-existent folder showing up every time I opened explorer smiley).

Hello SixD's

Yes, it seems to be that my relocation project is working and that anything new is being downloaded and installed to the new hard drive.  It is not going to the old location on the C: drive, which I put the word "Old" after the folder title.  I am just going through the motions to make sure everything has been copied over properly.  Since I started in December, I amassed quite a bit AND been spending too much money.   I actually set a limit for myself.   Not only has Daz become a financial issue, but also a hard drive real estate issue as well.   But I already outgrew the C: drive and need to free that space back up.   And yes, you hit the nail on the head in regards to that folder that I can't access, nor delete in Windows.   I CAN delete it in Ubuntu, but  I just have to make sure deleting it isn't going to cause me to lose data.  Ubuntu is Linux and that was based on the Unix operating system.  From what I gather, it is structured better than Windows.