dForce Lacey Dress won't AutoFit to G3F

Ran into a strange problem with this new product: https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-lacey-dress-for-genesis-8-females . The slip and panty autofit OK, but the outer dress assumes the G8 default pose and doesn't adjust to fit the character. Clicking "Fit to" makes no difference, and the usual AutoFit dialogue doesn't appear.

The outfit works as expected on G8F characters, but I noticed another oddity when I applied the foot pose to an already posed character: the entire figure returns to the default 'A' pose, except for the feet.

I haven't submitted a support ticket yet, but maybe I should (?).

Comments

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,249

There needs to be a Genesis 8 Female clone on the Genesis 3 figure for autofit to work with Genesis 8 clothing. Don't forget that when Genesis 3 was developed, it knew nothing about Genesis 8, whereas Genesis 8 knows all about Genesis 3. There's a product for the clone (SY Genesis 8 Clones for Genesis 3), or follow the manual prcedure to fit it (there are discussions about that, no time to search right now...)

• Blind OwlBlind Owl Posts: 501

Can't see needing a G8 clone. I've used any number of G8 outfits (dresses, shirts, pants, etc.) on G3 characters without a problem, and AutoFit has always done its thing. As I said, the slip and panty autofit to the G3 figure, but the outer dress doesn't. The problem seems unique to this dress.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116

Try Sickleyield's method, which avoids autofit. The two figures are basically identical.
    https://www.deviantart.com/sickleyield/journal/Tutorial-Convert-Clothing-G3-to-G8-G8-to-G3-686682065

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813
    Blind Owl said:

Ran into a strange problem with this new product: https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-lacey-dress-for-genesis-8-females . The slip and panty autofit OK, but the outer dress assumes the G8 default pose and doesn't adjust to fit the character. Clicking "Fit to" makes no difference, and the usual AutoFit dialogue doesn't appear.

The outfit works as expected on G8F characters, but I noticed another oddity when I applied the foot pose to an already posed character: the entire figure returns to the default 'A' pose, except for the feet.

I haven't submitted a support ticket yet, but maybe I should (?).

You should submit a support ticket for the pose, if nothing else. That absolutely should not be happening.

Does the autofit dialog appear when you fit the G8 slip and panty to G3?

vwrangler said:
    Blind Owl said:

Does the autofit dialog appear when you fit the G8 slip and panty to G3?

Yes. As far as I can recall, the dialogue box has appoeared for every G8 clothing item I've tried to fit to a G3 figure…except this one. Guess I'll submit a support ticket since there's no apparent reason the outer dress shoulc be any different. And, as you say, the foot pose is hooped.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

@Blind Owl

I get the same behavior. I also notice that when the Autofit dialog appears for the other pieces, it doesn't list Genesis 3 Female.

edited May 2019
    fastbike1 said:

@Blind Owl

I get the same behavior. I also notice that when the Autofit dialog appears for the other pieces, it doesn't list Genesis 3 Female.

Why, so it doesn't. I've submitted a support ticket but didn't mention that peculiarity. I'll be sure to add that to the bug list when I get a reply from Tech Support. It seems an update is in order!

[ edit/update: just got a prompt reply from Tech Support saying that autofit isn't guaranteed to work and therefore the product is OK. I insisted that it isn't OK, pointing out the missing G3F compatibility for the slip and panty, and the G8F foot pose problem (again). If others chimed in and submitted support tickets, maybe we'd get a fix. ]

Post edited by Blind Owl on
    edited May 2019

As I mentioned earlier, to use autofit properly, you need a clone of the source figure on the target figure to get the proper projection templates. Close-fitting items will probably work okay using "Unsupported" as the figure it was made for, but your results may vary. There is no automatic built-in* Genesis 3 support for Genesis 8 clothing, even if the figures have the same basic topography. The opposite is true, there is Genesis 8 support for Genesis 3 (and Genesis 2, and Genesis) clothing through the built-in clones. You can add more functionality by purchasing more clones for the various generations, investing in the clothing converters, or doing it yourself using the tutorials that describe how to do it.

(*Edit: "built-in" is more accurate, it can be "automatic" with the proper support)

Post edited by NorthOf45 on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,026
    fastbike1 said:

I also notice that when the Autofit dialog appears for the other pieces, it doesn't list Genesis 3 Female.

The list if for selecting the source figure, not the target figure, so if you're autofitting an item to G3F it's normal not to see G3F in the list.

fastbike1 said:

@Blind Owl

And it never will. Look carefully at what is being asked. "What figure was the item originally designed for?" That would be Genesis 8 Female. You are trying to fit to Genesis 3 Female. Since you don't have the clone, Genesis 8 Female will not be in the list.

edited May 2019
    NorthOf45 said:
    fastbike1 said:

@Blind Owl

And it never will. Look carefully at what is being asked. "What figure was the item originally designed for?" That would be Genesis 8 Female. You are trying to fit to Genesis 3 Female. Since you don't have the clone, Genesis 8 Female will not be in the list.

You're right, NorthOf45 [edit: and Leanasmiley], of course it never will. What were we thinking???

Just the same, every other G8 clothing item I've applied to a G3 character has invoked the autofit script (or whatever it is), including the first ever introduced: the Bardot outfit that comes with dForce Essentials. I see no reason why this one item should be an exception, or any reason why we should need a clone to make it work with other figures when the rest of the outfit doesn't.

Post edited by Blind Owl on

And you are right, Autofit should start for any incompatible clothing (or conforming item) for any figure. Maybe there's something buried (or missing) in the metadata?

How other source figures are supported by the target figure will determine the success. There are clones, and there are alternate projection templates (notably from Sickleyield). Autofit can do a lot on its own without them, but there's always something that's not quite right. Clones and templates help with that a lot, but sometimes they make a mess. Those add-on products usually also have corrective morphs to help with distortion that might happen during the conversion process. Between those, clothing converters and manual fitting, there's more than one way to do it.

Pixolygon said:

Try Sickleyield's method, which avoids autofit. The two figures are basically identical.
    https://www.deviantart.com/sickleyield/journal/Tutorial-Convert-Clothing-G3-to-G8-G8-to-G3-686682065

Thanks, Pixolygon, I finally got around to trying your suggestion. Like pretty much every other SickleYield how-to it's extremely useful, clever, and not obvious to the uninitiated. It worked on the Lacey Dress, though I still think the product is defective and needs an update.

I can see SickleYield's method coming in handy even on clothes that do trigger the AutoFit script (or whatever it is). For one thing, the resulting file size is a lot smaller.