Using Extra Mouse Buttons

LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,118
edited May 2019 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hi :D

Almost every modern mouse has two buttons on its left side: one to go back, and the other to go forward.
They work basically in every software, for example in your browser or in explorer (windows folders).

It would be nice to see this function implemented in the next version of Daz, in order to make the product navigation more smooth! :)

It would be also nice to have more control on the mouse wheel: instead of going down of three products once in a while, I'd like a continue scroll!

Post edited by LenioTG on

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited May 2019
    TGFan4 said:

Almost every modern mouse has two buttons on its left side: one to go back, and the other to go forward.

Really?

most mouses have two buttons and a wheel. Some modified mouses for things like gaming may have extra buttons for special functions

Post edited by Chohole on
  • LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,118
    Chohole said:
    TGFan4 said:

Really?

most mouses have two buttons and a wheel. Some modified mouses for things like gaming may have extra buttons for special functions

I'm not talking about gaming mouses. Those have even more buttons. Even if I don't game with it, I have a logitech gaming mouse, and I set those extra buttons to control the volume etc.

But almost every mouse nowadays has those buttons: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mouse

In the last years between family and friends we've bought 8 mouses, of all different kinds and not for gaming, and just one of them didn't have those 2 buttons (but it cost 5€).

edited May 2019

in the same time I have probably bought as many (due to having twin mischevious indoor cats) and the only one that has extra buttons is the gaming mouse I bought simply because I liked the fact that it had a face. I sometime use the back button, never use the forward button 

On the otherhand the mouse I would really like is an ergonomic one that costs £50+   and only has 2 buttons and a scroll wheel.

I'm sorry, but what is the purpose of this discussion? :O

Most mouses have those buttons, as you can see browsing Amazon as I've linked, or every website that sells them nowadays, and even if you don't have those buttons, or if you don't use it, I'm not understanding why you wouldn't like for people who have and use them to have this simple feature! :O

edited May 2019

I am sorry I just don't think that you are correct in saying that most mouses have the extra buttons. I buy all my mice from Amazon nowadays, and frequently browse to see iof they hadve added anything interesting.  I cannot see Daz wanting to spend time (and money) adding features that possibly less than half the users would use.

edited May 2019
    Chohole said:

I am sorry I just don't think that you are correct in saying that most mouses have the extra buttons. I cannot see Daz wanting to spend time (and money) adding features that possibly less than half the users would use.

I see...I didn't think it was that big feature, but I know nothing about coding. I thought that since most software for Windows has it, it was kinda an industry standard.

I think that less than half is much higher than the userbase that uses a random feature of Daz xD

About time and money, I think that when things go more smoothly, in the long run, everyone has a better experience using the software! I thought this simply was never addressed but that it was an easy addition.

If I've taken the time to write this proposal, it means that I've spent even more time than this browsing my library and having to navigate half the screen for that "back" icon instead of just moving my thumb a few millimeters, so I think it would be worth it!

EDIT: PS: I don't really care about what most mouses have, but, just out of curiosity, searching 'mouse' on Amazon.com, on the first page there are 31 mouses, and 17 of them (55%) have them. Furthermore, almost the totality of the ones that don't have them, are under 10$, and since Daz is very expensive and it requires a powerful PC, I think the average Daz users spends more than the average person for his peripherals.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,808

TGFan4 where are these mice?

they are not everywhere in Australia 

I bought yet another mouse recently after stepping on one and still have not gotten one of these most mouses

but then surprise I walk into shops because I need it immediately not order on Amazon  

edited May 2019

TGFan4 where are these mice?

they are not everywhere in Australia 

I bought yet another mouse recently after stepping on one and still have not gotten one of these most mouses

but then surprise I walk into shops because I need it immediately not order on Amazon  

I really don't know what to say...I live in Italy, and we always think we are "technologically behind", but the mouse of almost everyone I know, and NOT A SINGLE MOUSE in the building I study and work misses those 2 buttons :O

I'm 26, and the last time I've bought something technological not-from-the-internet was...when I was 12? I can't recall xD

So, the first thing that comes to my mind when I want to buy a mouse is Amazon. I don't know if there actually still are physical shops in my town that sell that kind of stuff :O

But, again...what's the point of this discussion???? xD

Trust me, get a mouse with those buttons if you don't have it, and use them: it's very comfortable and it works on almost every software.

Then, if the userbase wouldn't find this helpful...too bad, I'll deal with it, even if Daz is basically the only software I use that doesn't have this simple feature.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,809

In any event, if you want to make a feature request to Daz - perhaps omitting the "most" - the way to do it is via a Technical Support ticket https://www.daz3d.com/help/help-contact-us

In any event, if you want to make a feature request to Daz - perhaps omitting the "most" - the way to do it is via a Technical Support ticket https://www.daz3d.com/help/help-contact-us

Thank you Richard :)

I wanted to see what other people had to say about this, maybe this was already possible setting a shortcut or something like that, and so it woulnd't have made sense to disturb Daz busy staff :)

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,699

One of my mice has too many buttons.  I wanted to return it but I could not for some reason.  It seems I am stuck with this stupid mouse with too many buttons.  Wonder if there is a way I can set up this mouse with too many buttons to make those too many buttons useful?

5455E4CB-9A94-4A8A-840F-02174FF9B40D.jpeg
    3264 x 2448 - 1M
    CA34EE1F-2A5E-4409-BED5-20020C3B5661.jpeg
    3264 x 2448 - 1M
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,809

One of my mice has too many buttons.  I wanted to return it but I could not for some reason.  It seems I am stuck with this stupid mouse with too many buttons.  Wonder if there is a way I can set up this mouse with too many buttons to make those too many buttons useful?

Look to see if there's a utility to map key combinations to the extra buttons (which should work in DS, and may be how the back/forward buttons work)

Look to see if there's a utility to map key combinations to the extra buttons (which should work in DS, and may be how the back/forward buttons work)

You're overestimating my computer knowledge, but thank you for the suggestions! :D

Ahahah!

Maybe some shortcuts? Still I wouldn have some difficulties finding the right button!

This is my mouse, and it's wonderful: https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G402-Hyperion-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B00LZVNWIA/

• johngjohng Posts: 25

I don't have exactly the same Logitech mouse but I use Logitech Gaming Software to map my extra buttons into keyboard presses:-

https://support.logitech.com/en_gb/software/lgs

johng said:

I don't have exactly the same Logitech mouse but I use Logitech Gaming Software to map my extra buttons into keyboard presses:-

https://support.logitech.com/en_gb/software/lgs

Me too ^^
    Sadly Daz just doesn't consider that option as shortcut in general!

• BratpiperBratpiper Posts: 47

X-MouseButton Control is a free mouse utility that works well within Windows (fine with Studio). It generally is able to program most spare mouse buttons for various tasks. I use it to program double click on spare side buttons amongst other things, saves wear on my main finger & left Mouse button! It is a set up and forget utility if you let it load on windows start-up.  Free from here:

https://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/XMouseButtonControl.htm

I only buy mice with extra side buttons!

Bratpiper said:

X-MouseButton Control is a free mouse utility that works well within Windows (fine with Studio). It generally is able to program most spare mouse buttons for various tasks. I use it to program double click on spare side buttons amongst other things, saves wear on my main finger & left Mouse button! It is a set up and forget utility if you let it load on windows start-up.  Free from here:

https://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/XMouseButtonControl.htm

I only buy mice with extra side buttons!

Thank you, it's nice to see that someone reasons like I do! :D

The problem with that specific task is that it's not possible at all to set the shortcut!

But it's not a big deal in the end, I just like to contribute to the overall project when I can.

FYI X-MouseButton can do more than program buttons, it can also alter mouse translation speed and wheel control. I have no affiliation to this program, just a grateful user. I have a cherry 4000 mouse that has a two speed contol (movement), problem with it is the speed is still too fast for 3d work even on slow setting. X-Button allows me to actually slow the speed / pointer resolution to my ideal. If you haven't actually checked it out, suggest you look at the excellent documentation to see its capabilities, you can use as little or as much of the settings as you need.  Happy mousing.

Bratpiper said:

FYI X-MouseButton can do more than program buttons, it can also alter mouse translation speed and wheel control. I have no affiliation to this program, just a grateful user. I have a cherry 4000 mouse that has a two speed contol (movement), problem with it is the speed is still too fast for 3d work even on slow setting. X-Button allows me to actually slow the speed / pointer resolution to my ideal. If you haven't actually checked it out, suggest you look at the excellent documentation to see its capabilities, you can use as little or as much of the settings as you need.  Happy mousing.

Thanks for all the info! :D

Further thought.... Not sure what you mean about going forward  / back in studio? Meaning Ctrl-z / Ctrl-Y (do/undo?). If Sstudio has a hotkey for these actions then it can be programmed in X-mouse!

Bratpiper said:

Further thought.... Not sure what you mean about going forward  / back in studio? Meaning Ctrl-z / Ctrl-Y (do/undo?). If Sstudio has a hotkey for these actions then it can be programmed in X-mouse!

I meant in the menu, when you're navigating your library in Smart Content

Thanks for the explanation. Ex-poser user... Don't use smart content. Total control freak :D

Bratpiper said:

Thanks for the explanation. Ex-poser user... Don't use smart content. Total control freak :D

I have OCD too, but the thing is that if you don't support it, at least it diminishes! Otherwise there's no limit to organization :(

• surrealsurreal Posts: 155

Check with the mouse's manufacturer they probably have a utility that can be downloaded for free to program the extra keys.

I use elecom trackballs and their mouse assistant program to map the keys to different hot-key combinations. 3Dconnexion mouse works the same way to map all its keys.

surreal said:

Check with the mouse's manufacturer they probably have a utility that can be downloaded for free to program the extra keys.

I use elecom trackballs and their mouse assistant program to map the keys to different hot-key combinations. 3Dconnexion mouse works the same way to map all its keys.

Thank you surreal, but I already map my mouse buttons :)

This was not about my mouse, but about Daz Studio! ^^