How Do I Get Rid of Washed Out Look

I have tried about everything I can think of to get rid of the washed out look on the Clydesdale's mane and tale and body in general.  It was a lot worse than it is but I don't know what to try next.  I have a Distant light on and there is an environment on that comes with the Tangy Apple Orchard scene.  I turned the Uber off that comes with the scene because that really washed everything out.  All items are in 3Delight and I am rendering in 3Delight.  Not sure what else you might need to know.  Thank you.

RiverMissy

Comments

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

I have tried about everything I can think of to get rid of the washed out look on the Clydesdale's mane and tale and body in general.  It was a lot worse than it is but I don't know what to try next.  I have a Distant light on and there is an environment on that comes with the Tangy Apple Orchard scene.  I turned the Uber off that comes with the scene because that really washed everything out.  All items are in 3Delight and I am rendering in 3Delight.  Not sure what else you might need to know.  Thank you.

RiverMissy

I think it looks quite nice, actually. Check the ambient channel in the surface settings for the horse mats, maybe amb strength is active and color too bright?

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

Is it a plain vanilla 3Delight shader, or a custom setup giving that velvety effect? Look at the top of the Surfaces pane with the horse skin selected, and if it says anything other than "Shader: DAZ Default", then it's custom.

• rrwardrrward Posts: 556

Looks like a texture issue with the mane (and to a lesser degree the fur). I'm also not seeing any shadows. Shadows would help.

• RiverMissyRiverMissy Posts: 292

Looks like a texture issue with the mane (and to a lesser degree the fur). I'm also not seeing any shadows. Shadows would help.

Did you mean to turn on the shadow feature on the DistantLight?  I did that and it locked up the program.  I use cpu processing.  I don't have a separate video card.  That is why I have been sticking to 3Delight like others.  Not sure if it is not compatible or what.  Thanks though.

Is it a plain vanilla 3Delight shader, or a custom setup giving that velvety effect? Look at the top of the Surfaces pane with the horse skin selected, and if it says anything other than "Shader: DAZ Default", then it's custom.

It could say UberSurface or AoA, and they are certainly not custom shaders. There are also a couple of other ones that are not custom. To me it looks like the UberSurface with a lot of velvet, could be wrong though;) If that's the case one could turn off everything except diffuse, if the surfaces still look washed out, either they have baked in highlights or it could be that gamma is incorrectly set to 1. To set gamma for the diffuse texture, open the image editor, set gamma to 0.

Did you mean to turn on the shadow feature on the DistantLight?  I did that and it locked up the program.  I use cpu processing.  I don't have a separate video card.  That is why I have been sticking to 3Delight like others.  Not sure if it is not compatible or what.  Thanks though.

Shadows are in no way related to the textures, it's more an artistic choice;) If you want to use shadows, select raytraced shadows, not deep shadow maps! I've never had any problems with shadows causing lockups, it was probably a coincidence, or caused by something else. 3Delight only uses CPU for rendering FYI;)

On a sidenote, I still don't see the problem, you wnat those surfaces to be darker or something else?

Hello,

Thank you all for your suggestions.  Yes, there is a custom shader applied.  And thank you for clarifying the 3Delight only uses CPU for rendering.   I did use the raytraced shadows and that worked ok.  I put the final below.

After 4 more hours of trials I got what I wanted.  I turned velvet off, ssf off and I transluscent off.  Yay!!!  So Sven you nailed it.  I hope everything I do isn't this hard :).

Thanks again.

RiverMissy

0521-Lil-Final-1.png
    500 x 500 - 508K

Any idea why it is optimizing before it renders?  It started after it's hick-up this morning.  It wasn't doing that before.  Thank you again.

RiverMissy

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718

Any idea why it is optimizing before it renders?  It started after it's hick-up this morning.  It wasn't doing that before.  Thank you again.

RiverMissy

3Delight uses special tiff files which have multiple resolution versions of the source image, .tdl files, and the actual render uses only the two that bracket the ideal size for the resolution - to save memory. The optimising step is geenrating the tdl files from the actual texture image files, and should not happen for subsequent renders of the same scene in the same session.

Hello,

Thank you all for your suggestions.  Yes, there is a custom shader applied.  And thank you for clarifying the 3Delight only uses CPU for rendering.   I did use the raytraced shadows and that worked ok.  I put the final below.

After 4 more hours of trials I got what I wanted.  I turned velvet off, ssf off and I transluscent off.  Yay!!!  So Sven you nailed it.  I hope everything I do isn't this hard :).

Thanks again.

RiverMissy

Glad you got it sorted out:)

• cm152335cm152335 Posts: 421

by default all iray skin is "metalicity" 
    try to change "surfaces" skin of the horse from "metallicity" to "weighted" that change reflectivity to MAT