Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.11.0.383! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• kazebtkazebt Posts: 26

Thank you DAZ team for fixing the pin options for tranlsational movement!!! I hope figure movement optimizations are next!

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    barbult said:

I tried to autofit the Strand-Based Hair eyebrows I created for G8M to G8F. I got a polite error message that explained that I can't do that. But when I clicked OK to close the error message, Daz Studio 4.11.0.366 crashed with no crash log.

This is a repeatable crash. I forgot again that I can't fit strand hair to other geometry. It crashed the same way when I tried.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

I've also gotten a G2M Hair product, Real Short Hair for G2M, that won't parent correctly to G8M's head but parents about midway down his head. I'm not sure if that is a new problem with the .366 public beta or not...

https://www.daz3d.com/real-short-hair-for-genesis-2-male-s

I just used a G3M hair product that was similar instead but that doesn't really fix the DS bug.

edited May 2019

I ran into a strange viewport anomaly with strand hair today. Extra preview hair lines are being shown in the viewport. They aren't connected to the model that the hair is attached to, and they don't render. It seems to be just a viewport hair preview problem. I set the preview color to white in the example. Changing the color didn't affect the location of the anomaly.

Edit: I shouldn't say they "are not connected to the model", because they do rotate around when I rotate the bear. By "not connected" I mean they seem to be floating out away from the model's surface where the rest of the hair preview lines are anchored.

Here is another example with red preview lines (easier to see).

Viewport Strands.JPG
    1530 x 1489 - 264K
    Viewport Preview Strands.JPG
    1824 x 1732 - 251K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Rob says

UVs of the target mesh play a significant role in Strand-Based Hair. Bad UVs (e.g., missing, collapsed - no area, twisted, etc) will produce seemingly odd results.

Chohole said:

Rob says

UVs of the target mesh play a significant role in Strand-Based Hair. Bad UVs (e.g., missing, collapsed - no area, twisted, etc) will produce seemingly odd results.

I appreciate Rob taking time to comment and you forwarding that info, Chohole.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,217

I've also gotten a G2M Hair product, Real Short Hair for G2M, that won't parent correctly to G8M's head but parents about midway down his head. I'm not sure if that is a new problem with the .366 public beta or not...

I just used a G3M hair product that was similar instead but that doesn't really fix the DS bug.

That hair looks pretty much the same, and correct, after AutoFit in both the Release and Public builds - are you sure you cose the correct options in AutoFit?

That hair looks pretty much the same, and correct, after AutoFit in both the Release and Public builds - are you sure you cose the correct options in AutoFit?

Yes, I choose Genesis 2 Male and the target character is a morphed Genesis 8 Male with some RareStone head morphs. Not even any weird toon head shapes and such to confuse it were in use. I'll try it again after my render finishes.

I did try that hair after that happened directly on a G2M I loaded yesterday and it worked but then I changed the parent to G8M and it failed in the same way (fitted about nose height on the G8M head).

• ViallyVially Posts: 343

So the latest version has no idea how to load content that exists, even though it knows where that content is, and can "find" it, when 'navigating to file location".

Image 1 is the basic error received when double clicking on ANY content it sees in the Content Library.

Image 2 is what happens when I right click and "Browse to" file location.

Image 3 is where Content Directory Manager knows to look for files...

So it knows where the files are, it knows how to find them, it will open them just fine is I drag and drop a DUF file into main area window, it just can't do it on it's own, or can't find the files when I double click content to load it.

Any clues?

No Go 01.png
    812 x 722 - 87K
    No Go 02.png
    948 x 814 - 177K
    No Go 03.png
    548 x 314 - 18K
    edited May 2019

Evidently Strand-Based Hair is created on Base geometry. Is there a way to get the hair to fit to a subdivided mesh? The cube was set to subD 2 and the hair does not conform.

Hair doesn't fit SubD model.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    Post edited by barbult on

Yes, I choose Genesis 2 Male and the target character is a morphed Genesis 8 Male with some RareStone head morphs. Not even any weird toon head shapes and such to confuse it were in use. I'll try it again after my render finishes.

I did try that hair after that happened directly on a G2M I loaded yesterday and it worked but then I changed the parent to G8M and it failed in the same way (fitted about nose height on the G8M head).

Parenting won't trigger AutoFit. Does the hair work on a base Genesis 8 Male?

barbult said:

Evidently Strand-Based Hair is created on Base geometry. Is there a way to get the hair to fit to a subdivided mesh? The cube was set to subD 2 and the hair does not conform.

Interesting. I think you found the answer to the bug you mentioned about the bear & the stray hairs on it.

Hmmm, well I am checking...

No, it doesn't work & I even opened a 2nd instance of .366 & used a new scene. Here is a scene & a screen shot of the viewport.

bug.jpg
    1913 x 1039 - 285K
    duf
    duf
    bug g2m - g8m real short hair.duf
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258

Well that's simple, hair propagation in some instances between creation and rendering operate on an inverse DAZ time (scale.) You just ran into one of those instances. That's why he's balding. If you look close, you'll probably see hair growing out of his ears and nose also. ;)

edited May 2019

No, it doesn't work & I even opened a 2nd instance of .366 & used a new scene. Here is a scene & a screen shot of the viewport.

The problem is that the hair itself is fitted to the skullcap, which is fitted to Genesis 2 Male. AutoFit handles the cap correctly (which is what was confusing me) but not the hair fitted to it - I was able to fix it by selecting the hair and going to Edit>figure>Scene Identification, then clicking the ... button next to Compatibility Base, selecting Genesis 2>Male, and fitting the hair to Genesis 8 Male (so it converted) then back to the skullcap (so the morph ERC worked).

You are right, however, that that isn't necessary in 4.10.0.123 so it may be worth opening a suport ticket to report it for checking.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    barbult said:

This is apparently a hold-over from the original Garibaldi, Daz is aware of it and the dForce hair does not have the same issue - however, fixing it in the Strand Hair tool is a high-risk task (that is, stands a good chance of having negative impact on or breaking other parts). That doesn't mean it won't be fixed, and now that Daz is no-longer playing its cards close to its hairy chest we may seem - and be able to give feedback on - more builds, but it does mean I haven't been given any promises about when.

Well that's simple, hair propagation in some instances between creation and rendering operate on an inverse DAZ time (scale.) You just ran into one of those instances. That's why he's balding. If you look close, you'll probably see hair growing out of his ears and nose also. ;)

I'm just proud I managed to pose him in a way that didn't get censored. Something is up different though with the autofit in .366

barbult said:

Interesting. I think you found the answer to the bug you mentioned about the bear & the stray hairs on it.

No, the bear was not subdivided. This is different. The hair fit fine on the bear. It was the preview lines that were "off" in the viewport.

barbult said:

This is apparently a hold-over from the original Garibaldi, Daz is aware of it and the dForce hair does not have the same issue - however, fixing it in the Strand Hair tool is a high-risk task (that is, stands a good chance of having negative impact on or breaking other parts). That doesn't mean it won't be fixed, and now that Daz is no-longer playing its cards close to its hairy chest we may seem - and be able to give feedback on - more builds, but it does mean I haven't been given any promises about when.

Does that mean we may find a similar poor fit with Strand-Based Hair on HD morphs, because of the subdivision involved? I'm thinking of facial hair on HD characters.

barbult said:
    barbult said:

Does that mean we may find a similar poor fit with Strand-Based Hair on HD morphs, because of the subdivision involved? I'm thinking of facial hair on HD characters.

I'm not sure, but it sounds plausible. If so, how noticeable would obviously depend on how far apart the cage (base) and limit (HD) meshes were.

The problem is that the hair itself is fitted to the skullcap, which is fitted to Genesis 2 Male. AutoFit handles the cap correctly (which is what was confusing me) but not the hair fitted to it - I was able to fix it by selecting the hair and going to Edit>figure>Scene Identification, then clicking the ... button next to Compatibility Base, selecting Genesis 2>Male, and fitting the hair to Genesis 8 Male (so it converted) then back to the skullcap (so the morph ERC worked).

You are right, however, that that isn't necessary in 4.10.0.123 so it may be worth opening a suport ticket to report it for checking.

OK, thanks.

The Undo in the Strand-Based Hair Editor works well for me so far, except for the Select Curve Points tool. When I select points and move the Style Curve Points by dragging the arrows, the Undo behavior seems unpredictable. Sometimes only the selection of the point gets "undone", but the movement of the point doesn't change. If I Undo enough times, a whole bunch of changes get undone, including the operation I performed before even selecting the Style Curve Points tool.

Style Curve Points.jpg
    1080 x 743 - 412K

The Reset Curves button in Style Curve Options resets the Style Curves but not the visible hairs (when Show Hairs has been checked). This is confusing. I have to toggle the Show Hairs checkbox off an on to get the hairs to correspond to the reset Style Curves.

Before Reset Curves.jpg
    1170 x 722 - 476K
    After Reset Curves.jpg
    1189 x 686 - 500K
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

I'm not sure, but it sounds plausible. If so, how noticeable would obviously depend on how far apart the cage (base) and limit (HD) meshes were.

I first noticed the base vs. subD problem when I made the furry sweater. At base resolution, the bent sweater elbows were very pointy. At High Resolution, they were rounded nicely. My sweater fur remained pointy at the elbows and did not round out to fit the subD sweater mesh. 

If I apply the Iray Blended Dual Lobe Hair Shader preset that comes in dForce Starter Essentials, and then change some of the values and colors in the Surfaces pane, applying the shader preset again does not reset the changed values and colors back to the default. I have to apply some different shader (like Iray Uber Shader) and then apply the Blended Dual Lobe Hair shader preset again to get back to the original values. Is this a bug? If not, what is the right way to get back to the original values applied by the Iray Blended Dual Lobe Hair Shader?

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

Now that I've had a chance to play with the new toys, I have a small request, something to keep in mind while developing the Strand Based Hair code.

Daz Studio allows us to "Invert Mouse Wheel" in the workspace customizations. I have that enabled so DS and PS work the same. But in the SBH editor, the mouse wheel is not inverted. I'd really, dearly love, to see the editor use that same setting, if possible. If not, the ability to set it in the Global Settings would be the next best thing.

Thanks for considering it.

• Saxa -- SDSaxa -- SD Posts: 871
    L'Adair said:

Daz Studio allows us to "Invert Mouse Wheel" in the workspace customizations. I have that enabled so DS and PS work the same. But in the SBH editor, the mouse wheel is not inverted. I'd really, dearly love, to see the editor use that same setting, if possible. If not, the ability to set it in the Global Settings would be the next best thing.

Thanks for considering it.

+1 to this request.  LOL, first thing I was looking to change when starting with SBH. When used to doing it like this, it's not so easy to flip back and forth.

• ZilvergrafixZilvergrafix Posts: 1,385

why iRay on 4.11 is much slower than 4.10?, I can understand is a Beta but rendering performance is a must being forward not a la inverse!

my findings, same scene, same render size, same options  (Geforce, Optix),

iterations on Beta: 259, Ram used 3.71Gb, Cpu at 25%

iterations on Stable4.10 Pro: 468, Ram usage 3.59Gb, Cpu at 25%

limited to 2minutes for reviews.

DazIrayPerformanceBeta.png
    1804 x 894 - 842K
    DazIrayPerformanceVersion410Stable.png
    1804 x 997 - 953K
  • ZilvergrafixZilvergrafix Posts: 1,385

oh and kudos for the hair implementation, finally haired armpits and Pubic Hair! yipee! devil

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

why iRay on 4.11 is much slower than 4.10?, I can understand is a Beta but rendering performance is a must being forward not a la inverse!

my findings, same scene, same render size, same options  (Geforce, Optix),

iterations on Beta: 259, Ram used 3.71Gb, Cpu at 25%

iterations on Stable4.10 Pro: 468, Ram usage 3.59Gb, Cpu at 25%

limited to 2minutes for reviews.

What happens when you try the same render in 4.11, but without Optix?