Setting up Dual boot

I tried to set up a dual boot but I think I messed up somehow.  I know that DS will not run on Ubuntu but I want to have an option to use Ubuntu too.  I thought I set it up correctly but it somehow does not give me a choise of which OS to boot to when starting.

Comments

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

Which bootloader did you use? GRUB?

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,688

Which bootloader did you use? GRUB?

I forgot, but I did find my Ubuntu.  The main issue is that it is not seeing any WiFi adapter drivers.  I am trying to figure out how to fix it without having to find my ethernet cable. I might have to but I am trying something else first.  This method is taking its time though.

• NotAnArtistNotAnArtist Posts: 367

You'd probably accomplish more by joining an Ubuntu forum. I've dual-booted Windows & Ubuntu for several years, but the number and variety of problems I've had would make it impossible to home in on what may be causing your problem. And my notes are a mess, so I might make things worse.

Ubuntu has changed quite a bit over the years, as well, so you need up-to-date advice. The Ubuntu forums have always saved me.

By the way, GRUB2 is the bootloader for Linux that initially replaces the Windows bootloader. GRUB2 is supposed to load first, to give you the option to select which OS to boot. If you choose Windows, GRUB2 switches you to the Windows bootloader so it can automatically boot to Windows. So yes, you did use Grub if you actually got into Ubuntu. If you were to get into Windows without having to select an OS, it would mean your GRUB2 isn't working, only the Windows bootloader is...

I'll let someone else correct me if I have anything wrong there...

• NotAnArtistNotAnArtist Posts: 367
    edited May 2019

There is also a matter of whether BIOS is set to use legacy or UEFI and how Windows was installed and whether disk was partitioned as MBR or GPT, not to mention BIOS Secure Boot setting.

Thank you! My notes on those things are, like I said, a mess. Couldn't even remember the terms.

I also remember a couple of times when Windows didn't shut down properly, or had an issue with hibernation. Because of that, Ubuntu could no longer access the Windows partitions, and it even corrupted some Windows files. I had to go into Windows Power Options and turn off several things like Fast Startup, Sleep, etc, so that it would always completely shut down.

Once you get past these incompatibility issues, Linux is beautiful. But it's been a PITA getting there. Then a year or two goes by and suddenly another issue, and I'm stuck again wasting a day digging through old notes and logging into forums.

By the way, before doing anything major with your system, it's a good idea to create a Windows System Image backup and store it on a different drive or DVD first. That way, if it becomes corrupted, your whole Windows system with installed software and files can be reloaded without needing to start again from scratch.

Post edited by NotAnArtist on

There are good guides online for setting up a dual boot system. If you're not a real expert on the flavor of Linux you're using I strongly suggest following one to configure a dual boot system.

I am using Ubuntu 18.04 but the wifi is not working.  I am teathering from my phone.  I do not know why or how to fix it.

Would upgrading to Ubuntu 19.04 help the wifi problem?

You need to get the correct WiFi driver for your WiFi adapter, more than likely.