Need Serious Help with Visual Style Shader

I'm building a game and using DAZ for all my graphics. But the photorealistic tests I've been doing are taking way too long. I need a better solution. My hope is that switching to a manga/cartoon look will bring my render times down and save my project. I've done so much in DAZ and purchased so much, I don't want to abandon the software.

1) Will the "Visual Style Shader" (manga/cartoon utility), once applied to everything in my scene, speed up my renders???

2) Also, can the shader be applied to everything in my scenes, including furniture, wall, objects, etc???

I'm at a crossroads, people of DAZ. Many long but very rewarding months hang in the balance.

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,008

Visual style shader can be applied to everything yes.

I have no idea if a render using them would be quicker or longer than what you have now, but be aware that those are 3DL shaders, not Iray shaders.

• GOD-sSs-ENDGOD-sSs-END Posts: 73
    Leana said:

Visual style shader can be applied to everything yes.

I have no idea if a render using them would be quicker or longer than what you have now, but be aware that those are 3DL shaders, not Iray shaders.

Got it!

So what would I have to worry about changing to 3Dlight to support the new shader? Do emissive lights still work in 3Dlight?

But what else do I have to consider? A lot of my scene is Uber based. 

• GOD-sSs-ENDGOD-sSs-END Posts: 73

One further question:

Is there an Iray manga/cartoon shader alternative to the 3Dlight version.

I ask because this is the only time I can change my graphics. The map is built, the sets are all constructed. The only thing I have left to do is add characters and build my animations. Now is the time to change over. I can't continue until I find a solution.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,008

3DL is a biased renderer, while Iray is unbiased. Shaders and lighting will be rather different.

3DL also can have emissive lights, it's not part of the base 3DL shader but you can use uberArea shader (included in DS default lights and shaders).

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,476

If you use a denoiser then iray can be pretty fast, even if with less details, just turn down the iterations to 256 or something and see if you like it. For the denoiser either get 4.11 beta or search for the intel denoiser.

Then 3Delight can be extremely fast if you use it without raytracing. But you'll have to convert materials that may be not a fast process if you have to do it for many assets.