Fantasy Alcove Window - horse hair in promos

WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724

Can anyone tell me how the mane & tail for the horse was created?

Comments

• sapatsapat Posts: 1,735
    edited May 2019

Some (if not all) of it looks like the mane add-ons for the HW horse.

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/cwrw-the-elegant-equine-mane-n-tail-pack-1/66311
    https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/?ViewProduct=87470
    https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/?ViewProduct=70197

You can see in the products how the hair is constructed.

Or the person is exceptional at hair painting and did it with a tablet and pen.

Post edited by sapat on
  • zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,648

I would bet that it's made with that new fiber hair plugin dealie that's in the 4.11 beta.

• sapatsapat Posts: 1,735

I would bet that it's made with that new fiber hair plugin dealie that's in the 4.11 beta.

That would take someone who obvi has prior experience with hair painting

• zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,648
    edited May 2019
    sapat said:

That would take someone who obvi has prior experience with hair painting

Well, it's not like we know who did the promos. So it's possible.

Post edited by zombietaggerung on
  • WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724

To me, it doesn't look painted. It looks like it was rendered in the scene and not in post, like a figure or prop.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    sapat said:

Some (if not all) of it looks like the mane add-ons for the HW horse.

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/cwrw-the-elegant-equine-mane-n-tail-pack-1/66311
    https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/?ViewProduct=87470
    https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/?ViewProduct=70197

You can see in the products how the hair is constructed.

Or the person is exceptional at hair painting and did it with a tablet and pen.

I would say it definitely the prepainted add ons, but they are not specifically for the HW horse, they will fit any horse.   I have some of them and also the human hair ones on my wishlist.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740

It looks like it could have been enhanced or created in Photoshop. Looks like the smudge tool was used on the tips...

• Phoenix1966Phoenix1966 Posts: 1,562
    edited May 2019

To me, it doesn't look painted. It looks like it was rendered in the scene and not in post, like a figure or prop.

Same here. I wonder if mutiple manes were loaded and parameters changed to increase the length, waves, etc. I'll ask Slosh if he'll chime in.

Post edited by Phoenix1966 on
  • Josh CrockettJosh Crockett Posts: 572
    edited May 2019

Slosh holds the magical secret ;) ... wonder if he'll let it out of the bag here?

Post edited by Josh Crockett on
  • LyonessLyoness Posts: 1,610

Slosh made the promos himself.  The whole pic is done in Daz Studio including the mane and tail.
    He told me that he modified the Kimberly Hair and dForced it. He's quite skilled with Hair.

I thought it looked like it was done in Daz ... thanks for the confirmation, Lyoness   :)

speaking of dforcing hair, is there a thread started that lists the various hair products that are dforce friendly?

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,558

speaking of dforcing hair, is there a thread started that lists the various hair products that are dforce friendly?

There are only a handful of actual dforce hairs in the store. There is a product that adds some dforce capabilities to existing hairs, but the results were pretty poor imo. https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-master-hair-simulation-presets-for-dforce-cloth-engine

• SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited May 2019

Hi all.  Thanks for asking about the horse mane and tail.  As Lyoness said, I used my Kimberly Hair from my store.  I used several copie s of it, assigned a "root" material to the root areas, then used good old dforce (for cloth) to drape the mane.  Of course, there were some in between steps that I had to do in Modo, like assigning the root material and flattening the hairstyle to basically a wide strip of hair because Kimberly hair was human head shaped.  Then I used, I think, 6 copies of that wide strip for the mane, another scaled down copy for the forelock, and then two copies bent into a tube for the tail.  It simulated and rendered surprisingly fast, considering all that.  Oh, and of course, I applied ColorWerks for the final color and texture of the mane.

I did try to use the new dforce hair tools to make a mane and tail (and actually have some nice work as a result).  But, as dforce hair was not publicly announced and we were not permitted to show it, I couldn't use it for my promos.  Thus, this workaround.

Post edited by Slosh on
  • Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145
    Slosh said:

Hi all.  Thanks for asking about the horse mane and tail.  As Lyoness said, I used my Kimberly Hair from my store.  I used several copie s of it, assigned a "root" material to the root areas, then used good old dforce (for cloth) to drape the mane.  Of course, there were some in between steps that I had to do in Modo, like assigning the root material and flattening the hairstyle to basically a wide strip of hair because Kimberly hair was human head shaped.  Then I used, I think, 6 copies of that wide strip for the mane, another scaled down copy for the forelock, and then two copies bent into a tube for the tail.  It simulated and rendered surprisingly fast, considering all that.  Oh, and of course, I applied ColorWerks for the final color and texture of the mane.

I did try to use the new dforce hair tools to make a mane and tail (and actually have some nice work as a result).  But, as dforce hair was not publicly announced and we were not permitted to show it, I couldn't use it for my promos.  Thus, this workaround.

It looks great.  Maybe a new product to come/in the making?  :)

I have seriously considered it.  Was kind of waiting to see the response to that image, which so far is just what I hoped for

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Slosh said:

I have seriously considered it.  Was kind of waiting to see the response to that image, which so far is just what I hoped for

I've been begging for a mane and tail product for the Daz Horse for years. It's not a bad base figure, but the hair features are the worst! (IMO, of course.) If you come out with a line of manes and tails for DH2, I'll be first in line to buy.

• GoggerGogger Posts: 2,307

"Use dForce, Luke! Use dForce!" (er, ahem, corny, but funny.  <LOL>)

I'd love a set of dForce mane and tail for DAZ horse! It would be so awesome!  TAKE MY MONEY!

• Fae3DFae3D Posts: 2,423

The mane (sorry!) reason I don't use the Horse 2 very much is the hair and tail.  They just don't work out well for me.  A dForce option would be great, and if it looked anything like your promo picture, I'd certainly be interested!

so, it looks like that might be my next project, after I finish an outfit I am doing.  Would have to be a "mane pack" probably, because not everyone will want this much hair.  Maybe if I get really into it, I can do some of the fancy styles as well.  This worked great for anything where the mane falls on the right side, but I will have to basically start over for other options, like parting, wind, length, etc.  Plus, I don't know what a horse's mane really looks like up close, like where it starts and ends on the head and neck, so will need to research.  But, it should be fun.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,139

Yep, I'd buy that! Looking forward to seeing something soon....ish

I wanted to add some screenshots of the mane and tail "pre-simulation" so you would all understand what I did to create this look.  I think I may have confused some people saying that I had attempted this using the new dforce hair tools.  While I did indeed start a mane and tail using the new system, it was before the beta was released and made public, and I did not know it was about to hit the public, so I abandoned the attempt and went for a more traditional dforce cloth type of hair simulation, using strips of hair taken from my Kimberly Hair product.  This was pretty much the same as you see in some of the dforce hair by Linday and LadyLittleFox.  Then, I applied ColorWerks and a custom opacity map to finish the hair.  In the attached pics, the first one is the hair before simulating.  In the second image, I show one copy of the hair "clump" I made on the mane and on the tail.  This was then copied all along the neck and the forehead, and again on the tail.  The third pic shows how I made the roots a separate material zone so I could freeze them from simulating, allowing the rest of the hair to fall as the simulation ran.

I hope this clears any confusion.  The mane and tail are NOT at all using the new hair system in the Daz Studio beta.  Nor are they photoshop painted, although I thank everyone for thinking I have the skill for that, lol.  Also, I don't know about mane products at other stores, as I am exclusive to Daz.  So, if they have something similar to what I have done here, it is only coincidence.

Thanks,

Brian (aka Slosh)

mane000.jpg
    1359 x 862 - 335K
    mane001.jpg
    1461 x 833 - 264K
    mane002.jpg
    1098 x 822 - 290K
    edited May 2019
    Slosh said:

I think a tutorial on how you did that would be awesome, probably even something that would sell. I'm not familiar with ColorWerks, though.

I think having hair props/figures that are not specific to a figure or animal would allow some really cool customizable hairstyles. I mean, not a fully shaped hair piece, but separate hair sections in various 'styles' (curly, straight, etc) would allow putting hair on dragons or long hair on dogs, and such.

Post edited by WillowRaven on
  • ChangelingChickChangelingChick Posts: 3,025
    Slosh said:

I think a tutorial on how you did that would be awesome, probably even something that would sell. I'm not familiar with ColorWerks, though.

I think having hair props/figures that are not specific to a figure or animal would allow some really cool customizable hairstyles. I mean, not a fully shaped hair piece, but separate hair sections in various 'styles' (curly, straight, etc) would allow putting hair on dragons or long hair on dogs, and such.

https://www.daz3d.com/colorwerks-hair-shaders-for-iray

• SummerhorseSummerhorse Posts: 684
    L'Adair said:
    Slosh said:

I've been begging for a mane and tail product for the Daz Horse for years. It's not a bad base figure, but the hair features are the worst! (IMO, of course.) If you come out with a line of manes and tails for DH2, I'll be first in line to buy.

second in line!

Ahhh ... ok. I avoid all things iray, so that explains why I didn't know about it. Thanks :)

• MisselthwaiteMisselthwaite Posts: 959

I would also be in for ridiculously long fantasy hair for unicorns, horses, dragons... the fantasy world should run to hirsute! :-)  The horse is gorgeous, and very eye-catching - thank you, Slosh, for sharing how you accomplished it.

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610
    edited August 2019

Kind of necroing here a little bit, but I would absolutely insta-buy a dForce mane/tail product for DH2 (and not necessarily the new strand hair...I love what you did here). With the new(ish) HD updates to DH2, it really puts that horse on top...BUT for the hair. The hair is...sad face. I'd also love to see some feather (fuzzy feet). (A braided mane and/or tail for combat, etc would also be mounds of cool but now I'm just going nuts with my horsey wish list just because I have soooo many horse-based artses in my head that I can't really do yet due to horse and my own post-work limitations.)

BTW, I really love your stuff, Slosh, because it is so very detail oriented. I use your hair shaders religiously, and I've been drooling over that horse promo since I insta-bought the window product the day it was released. 

Post edited by MelissaGT on

Slosh ... If you do make a drape-able hair product for horses, would you make it universal to use on other figures, like dragons or camels or zebras, etc?