TITAN RTX

Would a TITAN RTX video card be a good buy for DAZ?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718

The obvious question is do you need 24GB of GPU memory? If you do, then that would certainly be a powerful argument for a Titan RTX (budget permitting) but if 8GB or 11GB would serve you then I'd think the Titan was a bit much.

• LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,118

A good buy? I don't think so!
    I mean, it's a great GPU, but it costs too much for its value.
    As Richard has said, its main feature are those 24Gb of VRAM, but even a very heavy scene doesn't easily go over 11Gb, that's the amount available on a RTX 2080 Ti I guess! :)

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 702
    Thanks for the reply.
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312
    TGFan4 said:

If I could afford one I'd probably get it. I have to do a lot of fiddling to get larger scenes to render with my 11gb card. If you don't do large scenes then I guess it doesn't matter.

I went ahead and bought me the TITAN RTX yesterday. I paid $2,000 for a brand new and sealed TITAN as soon as it popped up on EBAY. Newegg has the TITAN for $2,500.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718

I hope it gives you excellent service.

Thanks.
  • LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,118

I went ahead and bought me the TITAN RTX yesterday. I paid $2,000 for a brand new and sealed TITAN as soon as it popped up on EBAY. Newegg has the TITAN for $2,500.

Good for you!! :D

Make a great render-use of that beast!

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,064
    I think you got robbed. You could have bought two 2080 Ti's for the price of one Titan RTX. The reviewed performance was about the same.
  • killerostkillerost Posts: 5
    Dave230 said:
    I think you got robbed. You could have bought two 2080 Ti's for the price of one Titan RTX. The reviewed performance was about the same.

And I think you focus on the wrong things 1) if creationz8 was after value/$ he wouldn't start this thread 2) flll your x16 slots with Titan RTX and it will destroy 2080 TI's 3) Money is just.. money.. comes and goes.. but having an awesome computer experience.. is priceless! wink

I respect your opinions but after a lot, and I mean a lot of research about which video card to buy, I picked the Titan. I did not want to pay $2500 for the Titan. I will use the extra $500 to upgrade other things to accommodate my new card. Buying two TIs would have meant spending more to accommodate them because my case does not have the room. Plus I was thinking Long term with the features of the Titan I should be good to go.
    edited May 2019
    I guess I don't understand your situation, because if I had $2500 to spend, that money would have gone toward building a solid base first with room for expansion for at least two cards. If you had two cards, you can hook your monitor up to one card to offload screen resources, and use the other card for dedicated GPU rendering. And if those 2 cards cost 2k, you have 500 left over to buy a new case, a new motherboard, and even a new PSU.
    Post edited by Seven193 on
    Very true. I will be working my way towards improving my PC depending on how the card works out with my current setup. Thanks for the feedback.
  • killerostkillerost Posts: 5
    edited May 2019
    Dave230 said:
    I guess I don't understand your situation, because if I had $2500 to spend, that money would have gone toward building a solid base first with room for expansion for at least two cards. If you had two cards, you can hook your monitor up to one card to offload screen resources, and use the other card for dedicated GPU rendering. And if those 2 cards cost 2k, you have 500 left over to buy a new case, a new motherboard, and even a new PSU.

I don't know creationz8 setup - but e.g. my own setup - I have a i9-7940X on a Asus x299 motherboard with three x16 slots, one is used for raid card, one is used for 10 Gb network card that means I have only one slot left for GFX. My setup "only" includes a 1080 Ti card but I am a Daz3d newbie so my needs are covered well!

But if I found my self needing the GFX power of a single Titan or dual 2080 Ti, taking a dual GFX card route would be less desirable than a Titan at the same price. That said, for me getting a single 2080 Ti would be a more realistic upgrade alternative on my part. laugh

But - come to think of it: when I was cryptomining some years ago and FPS were not really the object the GFX card could be connected using a slower PCI-x slot since the mining job was sent to the GFX card, chewed for a while and returned compared to gaming where the picture has to be returned continuously. Would it be possible to do Iray rendering with a GFX card connected using a x16 to x1 adapter - same as mining?

Post edited by killerost on
  • JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

I would go for the one Titan RTX because 24GB of VRAM.

You can never have too much VRAM especially with newer content coming out with super high resolution materials.  I have a GTX 1080 ti with 11GB of VRAM just like the RTX 2080 ti card abd I can tell you that I have run out of VRAM and had the render drop to CPU only on some of my more complicated scenes.

As an added bonus the Titan RTX has NVLink for potential VRAM pooling (imagine 48GB of VRAM avalible for rendering) if(when) support for it is added to Iray.

• KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,210
    killerost said:

But - come to think of it: when I was cryptomining some years ago and FPS were not really the object the GFX card could be connected using a slower PCI-x slot since the mining job was sent to the GFX card, chewed for a while and returned compared to gaming where the picture has to be returned continuously. Would it be possible to do Iray rendering with a GFX card connected using a x16 to x1 adapter - same as mining?

Yeah, I think a few people here have done it with decent results. My setup was just an experiment to see if it would work. If I had money to spend on better cards, it could have been a real powerhouse. link

• Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,587
    JamesJAB said:

I would go for the one Titan RTX because 24GB of VRAM.

You can never have too much VRAM especially with newer content coming out with super high resolution materials.  I have a GTX 1080 ti with 11GB of VRAM just like the RTX 2080 ti card abd I can tell you that I have run out of VRAM and had the render drop to CPU only on some of my more complicated scenes.

As an added bonus the Titan RTX has NVLink for potential VRAM pooling (imagine 48GB of VRAM avalible for rendering) if(when) support for it is added to Iray.

I agree, It is not about speed but vram. I own a older pair of titans and only got them for the 12gb vram and I have never regretted my decision. Happy rendering

edited May 2019
    JamesJAB said:

If he doesn't use more than 11GB, then yes, it will be a waste of money. 8GB of GPU memory is more than enough memory for the casual Daz Studio user.

If you say you're preparing for the future, well then, what kind of future are you expecting? 4k textures are standard, and I don't see nobody going to 8k anytime soon. And he didn't say what kind of user he was, so I'm only seeing things in terms of the average Daz user.
    Post edited by Seven193 on
    I do large format printing for signs and vehicle wraps and high quality images are best but they are resource intensive to work with. I do not like software that can enlarge photos because the present flaws show up even more. As a freelance artist, I got into 3D back in the late 90s and saw the potential to merge 3D and digital painting for a unique look. So the video card should help me render the large scenes I want and process them in Photoshop with my Wacom.
  • I do not own a T-Rex but do have access to one through a friend's work.

I can only say that having the ability to load up 5 hd figues, different hairs and outfits (no texuture sharing) with a high resolution interior environment and associated lighting (which went to 16.7gb vram used) and have the card still have that much overhead left was amazing. Certainly bodes well for future proofing.

If I had the choice of 2 2080ti's or a T-Rex I would taking the T-Rex every time.

Congratulations of your purchase @creationz8 - I am only a little jealous (okay a lot jealous).

David

edited May 2019

Thank you, Inner Circle. My decision was made with the help of this forum and lots of research. My biggest mistake in the past was NOT doing research, which left me with a useless AMD Firepro W8100. Yeah, I am still reeling from that purchase.

Post edited by AnEye4Art on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited May 2019

Depends.

It isn't just about your scenes, and how likely they are to go over the 11GB available on a TI model, but about leaving scenes open, having multiple renders open and continueing to render. Do you do animations? Do you have the cash to spare? Would you have other uses for it, or would it be working really hard?

You've asked the question, but really, only you know the answer.

Post edited by nicstt on