Reducing render noise?

edited May 2019 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hello everyone!

I want to first apologize if this question has been asked before, but I'm a newbie when it comes to DAZ and I seem to have an issue with the noise when rendering.

So, my question is - as the title states - how can I reduce the noise? If any additional info is needed, please let me know!

Any answers or tips are highly appreciated! Thank you!

Post edited by Cris Palomino on

Comments

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

Well, the beta has a denoiser, but it only works 1) with an Iray card and 2) if your entire scene fits on the GPU and is rendering on the GPU. It will not work if it drops the render to CPU.

There is also a denoiser that you can apply after your render is finished and info can be found here.

• LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,116
    edited May 2019

Go with the Intel denoiser, it's very easy to use, it works with AMD CPUs too and it doesn't slow down your renders!

Taosoft has done a simple web page to summarize the great thread that @AllenArt has linked you! :D

https://taosoft.dk/software/freeware/dnden/

That is if you need to denoise an already done render. Otherwise, the factors you want to keep an eye on are

• Lights: a good lighting reduces noise by a lot
    • Render time: the more time you render, the less noise will remain. Keep in mind that Nvidia GPUs are very fast, but almost every CPU is pretty slow.
    Post edited by LenioTG on
  • edited May 2019
    AllenArt said:

Well, the beta has a denoiser, but it only works 1) with an Iray card and 2) if your entire scene fits on the GPU and is rendering on the GPU. It will not work if it drops the render to CPU.

There is also a denoiser that you can apply after your render is finished and info can be found here.

Yes, I do have an Nvidia card, and I also render without using the CPU.

Is this denoiser automatically applied or do I need to change something?

And thank you!

Post edited by Cris Palomino on
  • After the latest round of Windows updates for May 2019(as of this posting), the updated Taosoft front-end is not working for me.... 

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,877

After the latest round of Windows updates for May 2019(as of this posting), the updated Taosoft front-end is not working for me.... 

What version of windows 10 are you running?

As a pro user, I have mine on 1709 but with the latest security updates as of yesterday and the Drag-n-drop front end works just fine.

After the latest round of Windows updates for May 2019(as of this posting), the updated Taosoft front-end is not working for me.... 

I've used it today, and it worked, I don't know what the problem could be!

• edited May 2019

@Mattymanx @LenioTG - I am running Windows 10 Home - even after switching back to the previous Taosoft DeNoise front-end, I can't get it to work anymore.  Must be the awesome security updates....

Latest - I have figured out how to use the command line versions of Intel and nVidia Denoisers, so no worries.  All is well.

Post edited by ibr_remote aka infinity10 on

@Mattymanx @LenioTG - I am running Windows 10 Home - even after switching back to the previous Taosoft DeNoise front-end, I can't get it to work anymore.  Must be the awesome security updates....

Latest - I have figured out how to use the command line versions of Intel and nVidia Denoisers, so no worries.  All is well.

Windows is going hard on those updates...I understand that most people don't know anything about PCs and so they want an "Android-like experience", where everything updates on its own, but some things are bothering...

• ParadigmParadigm Posts: 421
    AllenArt said:

Yes, I do have an Nvidia card, and I also render without using the CPU.

Is this denoiser automatically applied or do I need to change something?

And thank you!

Sorry people just ignored the most important part of the question lol.

In render settings go to the filter tab and click the post denoiser available and post denoier enable buttons