OBJ Export to Vue or other 3D app

os11os11 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hi all I'm having trouble with getting the correct texture or colour maps for my character I'm trying to export from Studio 4 to Vue or any other app. The export works fine and I have a folder of textures but they seem to be only defaults and not the selections I chose inside DS.

To be specific i'm using Jasmin (http://www.daz3d.com/shop/jasmin-for-genesis-clothing-accessories/)

I'm not sure if anyone else has run into this trouble and I don't mind only having access to the defaults but it would be nice to customise in DS then export the character and textures.

Any help would be much appreciated. Just to clarify I am using the collect maps option, so not sure if this is just a case of the app collecting the wrong maps?

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Are your export settings the same as pictured below? As I have no trouble getting the right textures on the exported OBJ in Vue 10 Esprit with these settings

vue_export.jpg
    503 x 556 - 212K
  • os11os11 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Are your export settings the same as pictured below? As I have no trouble getting the right textures on the exported OBJ in Vue 10 Esprit with these settings

Yes I'm exporting exactly the same. The problem isn't the actual textures it is more the diffuse colour and styling options that run at the script to make the clothes unique in Daz Studio which is great but when you export these custom things are not exported and you just get the base clothes colours etc.

I can manually set a blend colour in Vue to set the colours of the tops and things after splitting the characters textures but it's a bit of a pain and if there is a pattern on the top I'm a bit lost to how to get that back.

I would have thought there is an option somewhere to export the diffuse colours and custom patterns etc along with the base textures?

edited December 1969

I think I know what you mean but Vue interprets the diffuse texture maps a little different than Daz Studio and it also depends on how the Daz Studio suraces are set up. I don't have that set so I can't check for you sorry.

What customs pattern are these that you are refering to?

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    I think I know what you mean but Vue interprets the diffuse texture maps a little different than Daz Studio and it also depends on how the Daz Studio suraces are set up. I don't have that set so I can't check for you sorry.

What customs pattern are these that you are refering to?

A simple example would be Jasmins top. The standard top is white but you can run the included script which randomises the colour to say pink. Try and export this and you only have a white top still.

I've tried exporting through OBJ to other apps like modo with the same result so I assume it's an OBJ writing problem or DS problem and not a third party app problem.

I have also tried Collada which screws everything up starting from setting the materials to 100% reflections which is easy to fix but then I have missing textures, still a white top and everything looks a mess.

So OBJ is the way to go for me but if I could just crack the colour top issue I'll be really happy, else I'm at an ok happiness level just to get everything nicely exported but custom colours would be icing on the cake.

edited December 1969

What script are you using becase I have a feeling that is the source of your issues and I have a feeling there is nothing that can be done. Without knowing what the script is I am presuming it is a shader based effect, but I am just guessing at this point. ;)

edited December 1969

Hmmm, you might be right as I'm running out of ideas. It is just a wardrobe preset, there are lots of preset colours / patterns etc(which I assume are scripts). Just double click it and the outfit is set up, I imagined nothing too exciting was happening?

edited December 1969

Sorry I can't be more help. I just had another look at the product page and it does say something about ◦Custom DAZ Studio Shader for Transparent Lace for the Scoop-Neck top. Looking at the Surface Pane (tab) should gives us some more info possibly.

What does it says at the top of the Surfaces Pane for the top.

ShaderName.jpg
    394 x 342 - 85K
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

You are using a DSA file, which in this case is a Material Preset for use inside DAZ Studio. If you are exporting the OBJ to Vue, you will need to change the Diffuse colour yourself inside Vue, which is all that the script really does inside DS4.

Anything that uses shaders will not be compatible with other software. DS4 shaders don't work in Carrara, and Carrara shaders don't work in Vue .... etc etc etc.

Sorry for butting in Szark, but I have this set myself. Hope that was of some help.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Sorry I can't be more help. I just had another look at the product page and it does say something about ◦Custom DAZ Studio Shader for Transparent Lace for the Scoop-Neck top. Looking at the Surface Pane (tab) should gives us some more info possibly.

What does it says at the top of the Surfaces Pane for the top.

Here is a screenshot:

screen.jpg
    894 x 331 - 63K
    edited December 1969

You are using a DSA file, which in this case is a Material Preset for use inside DAZ Studio. If you are exporting the OBJ to Vue, you will need to change the Diffuse colour yourself inside Vue, which is all that the script really does inside DS4.

Anything that uses shaders will not be compatible with other software. DS4 shaders don't work in Carrara, and Carrara shaders don't work in Vue .... etc etc etc.

Sorry for butting in Szark, but I have this set myself. Hope that was of some help.

So I'm a bit screwed then? There is no way to bake the colour / shader info onto the texture file automatically on export is there? That would be handy.

edited July 2012

Jimmy you butt in any time my friend, I need all the help I can get. :)

os11 Notice my Screencap has only one Material zone selected and see the red box I put around the Name of the Shader, mine being the Daz Defualt. I see yours states multiple which leads me to beleive that it is a proper Shader involved here.

I haven't played much with Shader Baker so I can't advise but in my head it might be worth a shot. Just make sure no lights are in the scene as it will bake in the shadows and highlights.

Post edited by Szark on
    edited December 1969

My thought was the same, just tried shader baker and although everything looks like it worked I'm having troubles getting this to work. Instructions are a bit broken on Daz's site which doesn't help. Goes through the process but still don't end up with a texture that exports the different colour