CARRARA CHALLENGE 46: Get your Retro on

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106

I cannot upload my 896kb jpg image (?)

Is it against the rules to (try to) post it to my Gallery and use that to link the image here and to the entry thread?

Diomede,

So I take it you've used a motion path for that car race? I really enjoyed that! I'd love it if you'd let me pick your brain on that some time! Awesome!

Silly me! I found your cool thread on the subject with all manner of awesome input from our amazing community. Thanks a bunch for that!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

Diomede,

So I take it you've used a motion path for that car race? I really enjoyed that! I'd love it if you'd let me pick your brain on that some time! Awesome!

Silly me! I found your cool thread on the subject with all manner of awesome input from our amazing community. Thanks a bunch for that!

The specific steps for my car race scene are in this WIP thread here. Explains how I used SparrowHawkes plugin.  Very easy, especially after Wendy suggested using a target helper.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4573376/#Comment_4573376

sorry about the upload, I only know the minimum about the forums and gallery software.  Someone should be around soon with an answer.  Are you getting a size error?  Seems like I’ve posted large images as attachments, then edited my post and just reduced to 800 wide when embedding the image in the actual post.

edited May 2019

Got it! Thanks! :)

Had an "&" in the filename... don't think the forum software liked it too much! LOL

DysDragonDesDR.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 487K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,527
    edited May 2019

I cannot upload my 896kb jpg image (?)

Is it against the rules to (try to) post it to my Gallery and use that to link the image here and to the entry thread?

It should work, I often use it when the uploaded images to my comments cause "An unknown error has occured"

Tute for those who have not used the Gallery before.

1. In the Gallery, drag your picture from your file explorer and drop it into the dashed blue line square. After picture has loaded click on it to edit.

2. If using it out of the Gallery, untick Allow Comments? & Visible in main gallery

3. Click on View Your Page

4. Click on image to open it.

5. Click on image again to get bigger picture

6. Right click on Mouse buttons to get Copy Image Location window, click on Copy Image Location

Gallery 1a.png
    1770 x 1009 - 833K
    Gallery 1b.png
    1781 x 1011 - 483K
    Gallery 1c.png
    1774 x 1011 - 1M
    Gallery 1d.png
    1787 x 1011 - 984K
    Gallery 1e.png
    1774 x 1011 - 2M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on

Got it! Thanks! :)

Had an "&" in the filename... don't think the forum software liked it too much! LOL

Glad you got it sorted !

edited May 2019

Oh right... I know how to use the Gallery. I was asking because I didn't want to be disqualified because I submitted to my Gallery

Images Must be new, unpublished before the start of this challenge, to remain unpublished outside of the challenge while the challenge is on.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

Also I just want to mention: 

I am a HUGE fan of the Millennium Dragons I & 2. I just love them. They have so many morphs and options - they just look REALLY good to me.

That said, I cannot state enough how much I really love the Daz Dragon 3! Yikesies!!!! And why not, right? Masters of figure creation that they are. What a pleasure to get lost in the shaping of this wonderful beast. Creating the shaders was fun too. Much easier to pose than the Millennium predecessors.

edited May 2019

Oh right... I know how to use the Gallery. I was asking because I didn't want to be disqualified because I submitted to my Gallery

Images Must be new, unpublished before the start of this challenge, to remain unpublished outside of the challenge while the challenge is on.

I relaxed the rule concerning published outside of the Challenge as it was broken unintentionally by someone else. Good to go. Very happy that you made it !!!

Post edited by Bunyip02 on

Cool. You really ROCK!

I wish I could have made a better image, but at least I was able to get something somewhat finished. It's a real test putting up with a computer that suddenly dies. Brings the mood down. I was able to stumble into some side jobs that might just get me either a new PC build or the HP Omen laptop I've been drooling over ;)

edited May 2019

I relaxed the rule concerning published outside of the Challenge as it was broken unintentionally by someone else. Good to go. Very happy that you made it !!!

Was that me?  Ooops, didn't think about it.   I don't know any other way to link to the animation.  blush

Post edited by Diomede on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712

Was that me?  Ooops, didn't think about it.   I don't know any other way to link to the animation.  blush

you can make it unlisted on youtube enlightened

Nope, someone else - so you're okay !!!

Entry thread closed.

Voting thread open.

It's Election Day down-under - have you voted ? For the Carrara Challenge that is !

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

DesertDude, What a fantastic lineup of workflows!!! How freaking awesome! I think your pipe smoke object and shader is sheer genius! Love it!

You know something funny... I wanted inigoni's Primivol for a Long time. But when I finally ended up getting it, I was completely immersed in so many other things, I just never really got around to trying it out.

Just the other day, I loaded up all of the different preset examples that it came with, and took a glance (so short on time - always) at the setups. I also set the render resolution to a really super small size and rendered each one. Really cool it is! I'm never (Never) using transmapped starship engine flames again - well, at least not for my animations. It's amazing how he set it up to make volume-based (?) shaders. I don't fully understand it... but everything is done in the Primivol panel, and it results in a volume bounding box, like using Fire or Fog or Volumetric Cloud, etc.,

I mention this because I used to do stuff kind of similar to your awesome pipe smoke object - so your cool device reminded me of what led me to wanting Primivol in the first place. I really love that you use Carrara's Displacement modeling to assist in the whole thing. Mine was more like the other way around - ultra low polygon counts with morphs and sometimes a rig so I could stretch, bend, and pull parts around. Not sure if you've even done this, but if we add bones to something, but don't give it any constraints, Carrara doesn't care what we do with the bones... it'll let us do anything, and the results can be realy fun! LOL

I've babbled long enough. Just wanted you to know that I really appreciate the coolness of those endeavors... really neat!

Thanks Dartanbeck for the nice words. I have a dim memory of downloading a trial(?) of Primivol years and years ago. I know I didn't purchase it, and now those plugins are gone? Argh. 

Your method sounds cool and much more well thought out. Yeah, I've mucked around with bones, love how they can be rotated, moved and even scaled to deform the mesh. Carrara rocks!!  smiley

Agreed. With the world passing to Daz Studio - even our once own Dimension Theory and others - I decided to give it another try. It didn't take long. Carrara is for me, and I no longer care which generation of figure I might get 'stuck with' because they were already pretty damned good by that point! ;)

Yeah... Carrara Rocks!!!

demised iconic characters 

rooting dave has some coffin buddy candidates

the freak coffin bait

Less than a day to go - get those votes in if you have not already voted !!!

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,574
    Mystarra said:

Ah, "Marine Boy", one of the lesser known "first wave anime imports".

Seems everyone remembers "Astro Boy", "Speed Racer" and "Kimba, the White Lion", but I also recall seeing this along with another Japanese cartoon import titled "Prince Planet" when I still lived in Atlanta during the late 60s.  At least, I thought I did.  By the 1980s, I could not find any information about these two offbeat animes.  Publications like StarLog didn't mention them discussing the earliest animes to reach stateside.  Hmm, myabe I had just imagined them, my memories of "Astro Boy" simply distorted.

But while touring the dealers' room at "Dragon*con (an Atlanta based genre convention) during the mid 1990s.  I found something that "vindicated" me.  Someone was selling "over the air" videotape recordings of "Marine Boy" and "Prince Planet"!  They WERE real!  I purchased the two cassettes and played them once I returned home from my vacation.  "Marine Boy" contained 4 "random" episodes in no particular order.  But the other tape contained the last 4 episodes that concluded "Prince Planet's" story arc.  I distinctly remembered this even from the 60s because that approach was so different from American cartoons that were pretty much self contained stories which did NOT build upon earlier segments.  they could be played in any order and usually did not have "beginning" adventures, let alone "endings".  But Prince Planet pretty much "killed" the baddies who plagued him throught the show and we witnessed him returning to his homeworld to finally sit upon the throne.  Episodic cartoons that told a whole story with a beginning, a middle and a conclusion?!  What a novel idea!

Sincerely,

Bill

Redfern said:
    Mystarra said:

Ah, "Marine Boy", one of the lesser known "first wave anime imports".

What a wonderful bit of history there... Thanks! Now I wish I could see the entirety of them both!

As prizes have now been issued it's time to wrap up Carrara Challenge 46.

DesertDude will be the host for the next Challenge, looking forward to what he comes up with !!!

Latest animation tests - Here are 2 different points of view of same racetrack. I have 5 camera angles for this same test, so am only posting 2 of the 5..

point of view of drivers

point of view from overpass

is it okay if i add these to carrara 2018 playlist?

Playlist

would love to show off our new capabilities in demo reel 

Of course.  I am flattered.

thanks ...

,,,is ready

had brain farts remembering how to add to the playlist

blush

the other place has an archvis theme for a challenge.

archvis looks good in carrara.

Bunyip - appreciate the notice!

@Wendy_Carrara - you are the best!  Thanks, the target helper tip solved the strange orientation problem and several more problems.  The target helper circles the track poperly now (thank you Dudu for pointing me to SparrowHawke's follow terrain plugin - and thank you SparrowHawke most profusely).

However, lots of other problems remain.  For some reason, my camera is not staying where I place it in the tweeners despite bracketing with keyframes.  I used camera position save presets to make sure.  Hmm.  You can see what I'm talking about in the attached video, which is yucky.  Haven't even added the props that go alongside the track.  You can see where the camera jumps around and is not focused on the cars or the track.

Car tires have spin modifiers.

SparrowHawke Follow Polyline Plugin

- In vertex modeler, I used the loop selection to get the center lane of my track.  I duplicated it, raised it, and assiged a new shading domain  I then used smoothing and conversion to get a center polyline. I selected, named, and extracted the center polyline.  I deleted the duplicate of the center lane, but kept the named polyline, which I rose a little in the Z axis to see it.  The model now consists of the track and a named polyline that follows the center in a figure 8.  

- as per Wendy' advice, I inserted a target helper.  I moved the target helper to the track.  With the target helper selected, I used the modifier menu to apply SparrowHawke's plugin.  I chose the track model containing the named polyline for the modifier. 

- I parented the cars (both) to the target helper.

- I expanded the time line and set the number of times I wanted the cars to revolve around the track.  The target helper went to a seemingly random location for the start of the polyline.  No problem, I adjusted the percent completion to get the start where I wanted it.  

- I went to the last frame and set the completion to full and checked where the car was.  I then went back a few steps to get the race finish where I wanted byadjusting the completion again.

If interested in really bad camera work, look here.  surprise

https://youtu.be/_EfH6epuYf0

awesome ride heart

edited January 2020
    Mystarra said:

Latest animation tests - Here are 2 different points of view of same racetrack. I have 5 camera angles for this same test, so am only posting 2 of the 5..

point of view of drivers

point of view from overpass

really like the overpass.

is it carrara terrain? 

the hwy billboards really kewl detail heart

Post edited by Mistara on

Thanks blush

I believe I made a figure 8 in the vertex modeler by sweeping a U-shaped cross-section along an 8-shaped polyline.  I rendered that out colored white against a black background. I then used the white 8 on black background render as an imported heightmap in the terrain modeler.  Just had to scale the resulting terrain to match the track.

Here is a file from my WIP set.  I don't think it is the final file because I don't see the lines that the cars used for the follow-path plugin.

See attached zip.

zip
    zip
    Diomede Racetrack Scene.zip
    1M