CARRARA CHALLENGE 46: Get your Retro on

Comments

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234
    edited May 2019

Wallpaper

Thanks to Diomede_Carrara for the idea of making a render of an object and using it in the texture. I totally didn't feel like fussing around in an external editor with a pen tool making any kind of pattern, lol. So, I opened up the Palmleaf that comes natively with Carrara's Plant Editor, swapped out the deafult leaves for the Palm Element (not sure why that doesn't load automatically with the Palm Leaf...) and made some adjustments to it: turned it pure white,  used the Bend and Twist Modifier to bend it, duplicated it several times and made a pretty arrangement.  smiley I then aimed the camera straight down and rendered a sqaure image with an Alpha Channel, reloaded that image into my Wallpaper shader as a Texture Map and blended it with the wall color using an Operator>Overlay.

wallpaper_setup_assembly.jpg
    1094 x 692 - 96K
    wallpaper_shader.jpg
    673 x 452 - 56K
    Post edited by DesertDude on
    edited May 2019

The portrait above the radio was done using the following method:

I knew I wanted an oval shaped frame, so I first made an oval mask using the Vertex Modeler. I simply inserted a disc, shaped it into an oval and extruded a huge area, then turned the object black. I then placed my two figures within that frame/mask. I also added an old landsape test image behind them as a background. I rendered that image out and placed it on a flat plane and created my oval frame around the rectangular image. 

To turn the image black and white I used a black and white Gradient with the Texture Map as the Shader.

Oh, and I gave the 'guy' a slight smile morph.  wink

portrait_setup_assembly.jpg
    1393 x 928 - 130K
    portrait_shader.jpg
    648 x 1029 - 112K
    edited May 2019

Last one, the pipe smoke. Maybe not the most realistic approach or shading, well anyways, I made a simple cylindrical Vertex Object, gave it some heavy subdivisions then went wild with Carrara's native Displacment tool. Here is the shader:

pipe_smoke_shader.jpg
    645 x 992 - 96K

Fantastic work by everyone as usual - there is great art and a wealth of tips and tricks in this thread and the forum in general. Special thanks to Bunyip02_Carrara for hosting the challenege and for writing a massive addendum to the Carrara manual on Shaders! You really went the extra mile, thank you!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Last one, the pipe smoke. Maybe not the most realistic approach or shading, well anyways, I made a simple cylindrical Vertex Object, gave it some heavy subdivisions then went wild with Carrara's native Displacment tool. Here is the shader:

Nifty tip.  yes

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,194

I'm so glad that the dates have been extended a bit. I've been trying. As you can see I've had a little luck with getting some basic scenes rendered (like in the e-mail messgae alert thread, for ex) and I get close to getting one rendered for this but it keeps blue-screening when I hit render - but at least I managed to get a good save done.

Time has been my biggest challenge.

Thanks for the extension. I'll keep trying! ;)

Keep at it, Dart, if you can.  Same to MDO2010 and Misty.

Here is a minor thing I did with Sonny and Cher, but it is a shader.  In the opening of the show, Sonny tended to wear a suit but no tie, and Cher wore some glamorous 70s outfit.  Sonny's sit was usually an odd color and the pattern of his shirt often matched Cher's outfit.  So, I applied the same pattern to both.

ss01 pattern in chrs dress.JPG
    1549 x 547 - 105K
    ss02 same pattern in sonnys shirt.JPG
    1283 x 812 - 196K
    edited May 2019

Latest animation tests - Here are 2 different points of view of same racetrack. I have 5 camera angles for this same test, so am only posting 2 of the 5..

point of view of drivers

point of view from overpass

Post edited by Diomede on

Latest animation tests - Here are 2 different points of view of same racetrack. I have 5 camera angles for this same test, so am only posting 2 of the 5..

How fun is that?! Awesome!!

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Bunyip, Stezza, DesertDude, Diomede - thanks for the comments!

Sorry for not participating more.  Fascinating array of entries, and some mind-boggling shader techniques.

Because of the extended deadline, I'm planning to tweak a few minor things in the Beaver render if I get the time.  The story arc is difficult to convey in a single image, without a lot of text: Robots become convinced that an archtypal figure from an old TV show is their savior, and when the embodyment of that figure suddenly appears, all hell breaks loose.  How did the robots get this strange idea?  The answer is revealed in the 2nd issue. :)

+1 yes heart

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

+1 yes heart

+1 moresmiley  luv it

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,656

Great tips !!!

point of view of drivers

point of view from overpass

Making excellent progress !!

Bunyip, Stezza, DesertDude, Diomede - thanks for the comments!

Sorry for not participating more.  Fascinating array of entries, and some mind-boggling shader techniques.

Because of the extended deadline, I'm planning to tweak a few minor things in the Beaver render if I get the time.  The story arc is difficult to convey in a single image, without a lot of text: Robots become convinced that an archtypal figure from an old TV show is their savior, and when the embodyment of that figure suddenly appears, all hell breaks loose.  How did the robots get this strange idea?  The answer is revealed in the 2nd issue. :)

Looking forward to the 2nd issue, hope you have time for it !!

I'm so glad that the dates have been extended a bit. I've been trying. As you can see I've had a little luck with getting some basic scenes rendered (like in the e-mail messgae alert thread, for ex) and I get close to getting one rendered for this but it keeps blue-screening when I hit render - but at least I managed to get a good save done.

Time has been my biggest challenge.

Thanks for the extension. I'll keep trying! ;)

Hope you get that new computer up and running as soon as you can !!

Mystarra said:

+1 yes heart

+1 moresmiley  luv it

Misty, have you been able to make progress on your render ?

DesertDude, What a fantastic lineup of workflows!!! How freaking awesome! I think your pipe smoke object and shader is sheer genius! Love it!

You know something funny... I wanted inigoni's Primivol for a Long time. But when I finally ended up getting it, I was completely immersed in so many other things, I just never really got around to trying it out.

Just the other day, I loaded up all of the different preset examples that it came with, and took a glance (so short on time - always) at the setups. I also set the render resolution to a really super small size and rendered each one. Really cool it is! I'm never (Never) using transmapped starship engine flames again - well, at least not for my animations. It's amazing how he set it up to make volume-based (?) shaders. I don't fully understand it... but everything is done in the Primivol panel, and it results in a volume bounding box, like using Fire or Fog or Volumetric Cloud, etc.,

I mention this because I used to do stuff kind of similar to your awesome pipe smoke object - so your cool device reminded me of what led me to wanting Primivol in the first place. I really love that you use Carrara's Displacement modeling to assist in the whole thing. Mine was more like the other way around - ultra low polygon counts with morphs and sometimes a rig so I could stretch, bend, and pull parts around. Not sure if you've even done this, but if we add bones to something, but don't give it any constraints, Carrara doesn't care what we do with the bones... it'll let us do anything, and the results can be realy fun! LOL

I've babbled long enough. Just wanted you to know that I really appreciate the coolness of those endeavors... really neat!

Diomede,

So I take it you've used a motion path for that car race? I really enjoyed that! I'd love it if you'd let me pick your brain on that some time! Awesome!

Everyone posting techniques in here (too many to list),

I really like reading these wonderful tips, tutorials, reminders, and workflows. I look forward to starting from page 1 and creating links to them and organizing them into categories for others to find easily. They really are interesting, educational and fun! 

After I'm done with this challenge, I want to start with the rest of them and do the same with cool lessons from those as well. What a great resource! I'm really glad that the thread that links to all of them is stickied... it's really cool to be able to access them without having to dig deep into archives.

So I'd also like to congratulate everyone for some amazingly awesome renders! So Cool! 

Cheers to all and, no matter who places in the end, you're all winners in my mind. All!

Love ya, friends!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,794
    edited May 2019

an extension.... 

I'll get my third one up and in..

The pinball machine I modeled and then assigned shading domains for some of the areas. I then used PSE to create the textures for the shaders.

also modeled the boots... spaghetti wires, pinball beanie and used Genesis child morph with some assorted clothing.

Love the boots, any chance of a screenshot showing your shader setup for the Pinball machine ?

yep..

a simple ajustment of the Carrara yellow plastic marble shader using triplanar. 

pinballmachine_shader.jpg
    888 x 552 - 83K
    Post edited by Stezza on

half way there

shaded the hearse but still have to stuff david 3 in the coffin

wip for rooting dave

retroing a call back to david 3  

used the Steam-Powered Hearse. had on wl a while.  happy to play wuth new toy.  needed the bw conversion

colored it in with carrara shaders. luv carrara metals

ch46-1.jpg
    1174 x 576 - 157K
    ch46-2.jpg
    1206 x 541 - 145K
    rooting dave.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 272K

an extension.... 

I'll get my third one up and in..

The pinball machine I modeled and then assigned shading domains for some of the areas. I then used PSE to create the textures for the shaders.

also modeled the boots... spaghetti wires, pinball beanie and used Genesis child morph with some assorted clothing.

Love the boots, any chance of a screenshot showing your shader setup for the Pinball machine ?

yep..

a simple ajustment of the Carrara yellow plastic marble shader using triplanar. 

Thanks Stezza !

Mystarra said:

wip for rooting dave

retroing a call back to david 3  

used the Steam-Powered Hearse. had on wl a while.  happy to play wuth new toy.  needed the bw conversion

colored it in with carrara shaders. luv carrara metals

David 3 chanelling Vlad Dracula, I can see Igor driving while Vlad takes a siesta in the back ! Excellent render Misty !!!

Less than a day to go for those late additions to the fun !!!

edited May 2019

Kind of a basic fundamental blending of things, but I find it to be an excellent way to consistently put my characters through many situations without building all new shaders for them.

In this example, I have two full multi-channel shaders, and I blend between them using the complex Multi-Channel Mixer

Source 2 is just a standard multi-channel shader. In Source 1, however, I blend two maps together for each: Color, Highlight, and Bump. In each of those, Source 1 is a 'Dry' shader and Source 2 is 'Wet'

Source 2 Multi-channel shader is then a cut and bruised skin shader.

DDDR_MultChanMix.jpg
    694 x 490 - 106K
    DDDR_ChanMix.jpg
    735 x 590 - 190K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited May 2019

Several Carrara Fog primitives, even the fire is a set of different colored fog.

Hmmm... image won't upload. I'll try after work

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

Video edited in HitFilm Express.  Talk about not knowng what I'm doing!  Music from a free web music archive.  Keosz 6 Them.

Animation Link -https://youtu.be/yW-vwkUf0rY

Great to see some of the older figures making their RETRO appearances.  Geat job, Misty and Unified Brain.