How do you light a Starfield

DekeDeke Posts: 1,609

I have a starfield in Daz Studio and tryign to make a nice Iray render. I thought I'd make stars emmissive, but in this product stars is the whole image so it makes that part of the cube shape one color. Also tried placing a light in the center of the cube but still nothing in Iray but black.  Any ideas how such product are lit?

Comments

• LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,118
    Deke said:

I have a starfield in Daz Studio and tryign to make a nice Iray render. I thought I'd make stars emmissive, but in this product stars is the whole image so it makes that part of the cube shape one color. Also tried placing a light in the center of the cube but still nothing in Iray but black.  Any ideas how such product are lit?

I don't see any easy way to do this with optimal results!

Could you link this product, to let us understand how it's done?

If I've understood correctly, and it's a cube with a starfield as surface, you may try to reduce the parameter "cutout opacity" to let a little bit of light come through.

In any case, it won't light up just the stars.

• DekeDeke Posts: 1,609

Thanks.  This is a Juice 3d Solar System bundle.  maybe it wasn't intended to use with Iray.  I may just pull some NASA images and comp the back ground in post.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    edited May 2019
    Deke said:

I would use a flat Bill Board prop for your back ground then add your star field or space image to the prop and then convert it to iray and then make the image emissive. This will make the star light up leaving the black space sky portions of the image pretty much black , works pretty good  for me that way, if you like you can try it yourself using my free pane prop and add your own  a star field of space image to to see how it works for you.  http://www.sharecg.com/v/92902/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/Ivys-Magic-Pane-prop

Good luck

Post edited by Ivy on

Bumping this as I still haven't figure it out.  In general, how would someone render in Iray an object that is enclosed...such as starfields which seem to be polygonal as opposed to a sphere.  Distant or Sunlights have no effects on the interior of this volume when rendered in Iray.  I've tried point lights...even with huge luminance settings...and get only the faintest of stars.  

edited May 2019

you could try making a spherical primitive make it the size you require  change it to iray and make it into a emissive light source then create a instances group with about a 100 of them .  that way  as your space ship passes by the primitive points the space/sky would look like 3d points of light  you may need to illuminate them with a high lume setting like 100000000 or more to make them really bright. but be careful, if you make them to bright you will wash out your props flying by them

I posted a couple of screen shots

1.JPG
    1864 x 1007 - 235K
    1a.JPG
    784 x 642 - 64K
    demo.jpg
    1920 x 1440 - 95K
    Post edited by Ivy on

Thanks, but there are starfields that already exist that I should be able to light.  To creat my own I'd have to create thousands of emmissive dots, randomize their size and luminance.  But a sphere is a way to go as some of these starfield props are polygons...perhaps made that way to accomodate the flat images pasted to each face. The problem is when panning you hit seems that are wonky.

It took me like a minute t make that star field.  you only have to make 1 sphere primitive  and just click on it and then on top of daz take these steps

create> then click "New Node instances"

Set the number of copies of the spheres instances you want  in the pop up box  and boom done. instant star field  why buy when you can create. :)

• LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,118

Nice idea Ivy!

There's also the possibility to use that product called "UltraScatter Pro" I guess :)

The fix to render the existing starfield is to make sure the appropriate texture map is assigned in the surface of the product in the Surface Tab.  Do that and it will emmit according to the emitter settings.