CARRARA CHALLENGE 46: Get your Retro on

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

eek deadline tomorrow

ann i bought stuff for this render

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

Sigh

Because Bunyip had emphasized that animations were allowed, I had really wanted to enter an animation of my cars circling the track but it isn't going to get done.  I'm just not comfortable with the animation tools yet. Lots of little things are going wrong, such as the cars turning sideways when I try to align them to the path.  No single issue is a big deal, or unsurmountable, but there are just too many little things going wrong.  I'll enter a still.  Here is something Yucky, but I did creat shaders for the cars.

Oh no, how frustrating. Your progress has been inspiring, I hope we can see a finished animation by the deadline, if not, soon. smiley

I used a similar technqiue of yours (thank you for the explanations!!) to create the wallpaper pattern for my entry by 'photographing' some Carrara palmtree leaves. I'll explain later when I upload examples of my shaders. I'm taking  break for a few hours. My eyeballs are bleeding.

Your image isn't 'yucky' - looks great. Do I see some motion blur in there?

edited May 2019

Here are a few more objects plus a screen grab of the Assembly Room. I'll upload some shader examples later tonight or tomorrow. I'm pretty happy with the final image, which is rare, but I won't upload a final incase I get itchy and start tweaking it or thinking of some post work before tomorrow afternoon.

retro_wip_005_assembly.jpg
    1469 x 927 - 115K
    bowl.jpg
    729 x 916 - 107K
    pipe.jpg
    958 x 854 - 88K
    picture_frame.jpg
    711 x 920 - 78K
    Post edited by DesertDude on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,524

Sigh

Because Bunyip had emphasized that animations were allowed, I had really wanted to enter an animation of my cars circling the track but it isn't going to get done.  I'm just not comfortable with the animation tools yet. Lots of little things are going wrong, such as the cars turning sideways when I try to align them to the path.  No single issue is a big deal, or unsurmountable, but there are just too many little things going wrong.  I'll enter a still.  Here is something Yucky, but I did creat shaders for the cars.

Love how Carrara is in front !!!

Mystarra said:

eek deadline tomorrow

If I extend the deadline to Monday to give you the whole weekend to render away will it help ?

Was thinking of extending it a couple of days to give MDO2010 a chance to enter his wonderful render, anyone heard from him at all lately ?

Here are a few more objects plus a screen grab of the Assembly Room. I'll upload some shader examples later tonight or tomorrow. I'm pretty happy with the final image, which is rare, but I won't upload a final incase I get itchy and start tweaking it or thinking of some post work before tomorrow afternoon.

Getting betterer all the time !!!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

@DesertDude some great stuff going on with all that modeling.. awesome yes

@Diomede_Carrara keep at it... if I knew how to help out I would, unfortunately I know diddly squat about animation.. Wendy's tips may help you out in time wink

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

@DesertDude wow hats off to you - great scene and models!

@ted, good luck!  - be good to see an animation in this - especially this one of yours

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited May 2019

All Hail The Beaver Queen!

This started out as another experiment in skin shaders, this time with V1:

With the pearl choker, I got the idea for a June Cleaver character for the Challenge, and just ran with it.  I know, strange. :)

June is V1, the two men are Lorenzo space workers, and the robots are RobotWarrior HD (not really HD).  The robots are old products, but pretty nice with Carrara metal shaders.  The Daz promo picks don't do them justice.

June is wearing the Take Me Back dress for Genesis 2, and the hair is Xanadu.

The structure they are in is GIS Orion.  The background is a modified Ron's Space scene.

Carrara processes include GMIC, Carrara text, Carrara native renderer, and some basic manipulation in the modeling room.

Simple shader manipulation (no texture maps) was done on the main title and on the vacuum cleaner bag.  For the bag I used Natural Functions>Wood in the color channel, and Natural Functions>Spots in the bump channel.

No postwork.

Because the deadline was extended, I added a few tweaks:

Beaver Queen.png
    1209 x 1500 - 3M
    Beaver Queen June Cleaver.png
    1500 x 944 - 1M
    Beaver Queen bag shader setup.JPG
    1205 x 776 - 112K
    Beaver Queen 2.png
    1209 x 1500 - 3M
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited May 2019

Just a bit more tweaking:

Doc07.png
    650 x 500 - 517K
    2019-05-10_2309.png
    2081 x 1080 - 3M
    Post edited by Vyusur on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    Vyusur said:

Now those are significant tweaks!  Very nicely done.

UB, thank you very much!

This started out as another experiment in skin shaders, this time with V1:

With the pearl choker, I got the idea for a June Cleaver character for the Challenge, and just ran with it.  I know, strange. :)

June is V1, the two men are Lorenzo space workers, and the robots are RobotWarrior HD (not really HD).  The robots are old products, but pretty nice with Carrara metal shaders.  The Daz promo picks don't do them justice.

June is wearing the Take Me Back dress for Genesis 2, and the hair is Xanadu.

The structure they are in is GIS Orion.  The background is a modified Ron's Space scene.

Carrara processes include GMIC, Carrara text, Carrara native renderer, and some basic manipulation in the modeling room.

Simple shader manipulation (no texture maps) was done on the main title and on the vacuum cleaner bag.  For the bag I used Natural Functions>Wood in the color channel, and Natural Functions>Spots in the bump channel.

No postwork.

Excellent UB !!!

+1 on that... for all the works... just so enjoyable to watch the progress of everyone's ideas yes

Vyusur said:

Vyusur - superb render !!!

Just a note on the WIPs, one of the rules this time around was to show a WIP of the shader manipulation in your scene. If you could do one it would be much appreciated !

As we have one contestant missing in action, and one late starter I have extended the times.

DATES to Remember-

WIP Thread Opens: Saturday, 06 APRIL 2019
    Entry Thread Opens: Saturday, 27 APRIL 2019
    Entry Thread Closes/Voting Begins: Saturday, 11 MAY 2019 23:59:59 CST (GMT-6), Monday, 13 MAY 2019 23:59:59 CST (GMT-6)
    Voting Ends: Saturday, 18 MAY 2019 23:59:59 CST (GMT-6), Monday, 20 MAY 2019 23:59:59 CST (GMT-6)

Get that render done Misty !!!!

If anyone knows how to contact MDO2010 to check that he's able to put his entry in please do. I have sent him A PM as well.

edited May 2019

an extension.... 

I'll get my third one up and in..

The pinball machine I modeled and then assigned shading domains for some of the areas. I then used PSE to create the textures for the shaders.

also modeled the boots... spaghetti wires, pinball beanie and used Genesis child morph with some assorted clothing.

PinballMachine_textures.jpg
    800 x 600 - 316K
    Pinball Young Wizard.png
    900 x 675 - 1M
    Post edited by Stezza on
    edited May 2019
    Vyusur said:

Just a note on the WIPs, one of the rules this time around was to show a WIP of the shader manipulation in your scene. If you could do one it would be much appreciated !

Bunyip, thanks a lot!

Ok, here is my shader work on bulbs:

It works with sky light ON.

2019-05-11_1109.png
    1329 x 823 - 327K
    2019-05-11_1109_001.png
    892 x 1122 - 1M
    Post edited by Vyusur on
    Vyusur said:
    Vyusur said:

Bunyip, thanks a lot!

Ok, here is my shader work on bulbs:

It works with sky light ON.

Many thank-yous for the shader setup !!!

an extension.... 

I'll get my third one up and in..

The pinball machine I modeled and then assigned shading domains for some of the areas. I then used PSE to create the textures for the shaders.

also modeled the boots... spaghetti wires, pinball beanie and used Genesis child morph with some assorted clothing.

Love the boots, any chance of a screenshot showing your shader setup for the Pinball machine ?

Mystarra said:

eek deadline tomorrow

You've got the whole weekend Misty - hope to see your render !

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

Oh keel. Sunday too?

Do we have double sided polys in carrara?

as in separate shader for each sude?

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    edited May 2019

Bunyip - appreciate the notice!

@Wendy_Carrara - you are the best!  Thanks, the target helper tip solved the strange orientation problem and several more problems.  The target helper circles the track poperly now (thank you Dudu for pointing me to SparrowHawke's follow terrain plugin - and thank you SparrowHawke most profusely).

However, lots of other problems remain.  For some reason, my camera is not staying where I place it in the tweeners despite bracketing with keyframes.  I used camera position save presets to make sure.  Hmm.  You can see what I'm talking about in the attached video, which is yucky.  Haven't even added the props that go alongside the track.  You can see where the camera jumps around and is not focused on the cars or the track.

Car tires have spin modifiers.

SparrowHawke Follow Polyline Plugin

- In vertex modeler, I used the loop selection to get the center lane of my track.  I duplicated it, raised it, and assiged a new shading domain  I then used smoothing and conversion to get a center polyline. I selected, named, and extracted the center polyline.  I deleted the duplicate of the center lane, but kept the named polyline, which I rose a little in the Z axis to see it.  The model now consists of the track and a named polyline that follows the center in a figure 8.  

- as per Wendy' advice, I inserted a target helper.  I moved the target helper to the track.  With the target helper selected, I used the modifier menu to apply SparrowHawke's plugin.  I chose the track model containing the named polyline for the modifier. 

- I parented the cars (both) to the target helper.

- I expanded the time line and set the number of times I wanted the cars to revolve around the track.  The target helper went to a seemingly random location for the start of the polyline.  No problem, I adjusted the percent completion to get the start where I wanted it.  

- I went to the last frame and set the completion to full and checked where the car was.  I then went back a few steps to get the race finish where I wanted byadjusting the completion again.

If interested in really bad camera work, look here.  surprise

https://youtu.be/_EfH6epuYf0

cc01 spin modifier on tires target helper for cars.JPG
    1375 x 854 - 131K
    bb01 select and loop on track surface.JPG
    1589 x 798 - 137K
    bb02 duplicate raise assign new shading domain.JPG
    1574 x 816 - 140K
    bb04 select and name polyline.JPG
    1480 x 780 - 110K
    Post edited by Diomede on

ALSO - would be better to create 4 cameras, (3 position, and one parented to car) and combine the results, rather than try to send a single rendering camera to multiple positions. What free video editing software do people use for such things?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711

Yes and Hitfilm Express free for a Facebook or Twitter like 

continuous shots are boring that’s why they do cuts to other cameras in the Grand Prix between the on car cameras 

@Bunyip02_Carrara, @Stezza_Carrara9, @Headwax_Carrara - Thank you for the nice words and encouragement. smiley

@UnifiedBrain - Ha ha - that's awesome. Great and clever concept. Love the colors

Vyusur said:

@Vyusur - Beautiful work as usual - love the dynamic compostion

@Diomede_Carrara - Despite the noted 'choppiness' your project is really looking good, wow! Can't wait to see more. As for free video editors...you could try HitFilm Express:

https://fxhome.com/hitfilm-express

edited May 2019

- DesertDude - beautiful scene coming together.  I love your "muppet" figures.  Thanks for the comment on mine.  

- VYusur - The second figure and camera angle really enhance the scene.  Expressions display the fun, and bring back wonderful memories.

- Stezza - That lad is a pinball wizard, see him, hear him, touch hm, feel him.  Magnificent job on the shoes.  Sir Elton is smiling. Pinball machine model and shaders are perfect.

- UnifiedBrain - I think you have maxed out the entendres, in a good way.  Double, triple, quadruple?  Very creative. yesyes

- Sorry if I missed anyone.  Hope folks still working on a WIP are successful.

Happy Mother's day to y'all's Moms,,to each of you who are Moms, and to everyone.

Post edited by Diomede on

Thanks for the replies, Wendy, and DesetDude.  We were probably typing at same time

Yes and Hitfilm Express free for a Facebook or Twitter like 

Lol, sorry Wendy, yeah, I think we all might have typing at the same time. smiley

edited May 2019

Uploading a few samples of some of the shaders I made. Here is the Floor Lamp. In the final image I deleted the Mixer from the Translucency Channel because I didn't like the colored cast shadow for this image, plus you couldn't see it anyway. So the lamp has several shading domains: fringe, lampshade, oval borders, ovals and the lamp pole. They're all pretty self explanatory except fringe shader has a Cellular pattern in the Color, Alpha and Bump Channel (and Translucency in the screen grab). I used the Transform Tab to scale the pattern on the Z axis way up to 10. The Alpha Channel makes it look sort of...fringy... Oh, and I dropped the Bump value way down incase anyone didn't know where to find that, you have to click on Top Shader to adjust the Bump Amplitude.

floor_lamp_assembly.jpg
    733 x 928 - 40K
    floor_lamp_fringe_shader.jpg
    659 x 960 - 132K
    floor_lamp_lampshade_shader.jpg
    668 x 509 - 59K
    floor_lamp_oval_borders_shader.jpg
    648 x 379 - 52K
    floor_lamp_ovals_shader.jpg
    668 x 508 - 68K
    floor_lamp_pole_shader.jpg
    650 x 479 - 60K