Jon's Works in Progress

Comments

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
    Ascania said:
    JonnyRay said:
    Ascania said:
    JonnyRay said:
    3WC said:

Having the windows as a separate mesh will also allow them to roll down. :)

Yeah, I thought of that as I was working on it too. Although for that car I'd have to do more than that. The chrome in the middle is actually attached to the rear quarter window; so it would have to move with the glass. But I don't plan on rigging it at this time. For my purposes a static prop is going to be "good enough".

That can easily be done by just grouping them or combining them into a single object. Do remember that an object is NOT required to be a single continuous mesh.

Of course. :) It just isn't worth the effort for the use case I have for this particular model. I don't intend to model an interior at all as only the exterior is planned to be used in renders. So having the windows roll down wouldn't serve any purpose for me.

It's not just for rolling down windows. It also makes modeling easier, without having to create extra geometry to achieve hard edges, to have edge flows that don't interfere between parts. Think about wheel nuts. Do you want to model them each individually, integral part of each rim, fiddling with the geometry of the rims so they work at all? Or do you want to create a single one, copy it a couple of times, arrange the copies in a rough circle, and place that whole group on a rim? And group it all together with the rim and the tyre in a complete wheel assemby and copy that three more times.

Which of those do you think is faster and less work overall?

That's a good point too. I think I'm okay with how the window frame looks right now. And your example was appropriate since that's how I did the Rim and Lugnut modeling that I shared above. It will definitely be something for me to keep in mind moving forward when I feel like I'm struggling with a mesh. To decide if it needs to be one mesh or cut it up.

edited March 2019

Between the nudge toward separating the mesh and Max's recent tutorial on edge loops and good topology, I think I have the side windows worked out now.

TB-SideWindows.png
    1633 x 855 - 97K
    Post edited by JonnyRay on
  • ViallyVially Posts: 343

I am really liking that wheel Jonny, I think it has inspired me to see about taking one of the seats in my bus and getting it modeled out. (the tedium of tearing that model apart is getting to me. Windows look good, since you are doing a static model, are you going to do the seats as well, or just the "backs" or what can be seen from a human eye level perspective?

I renamed the thread because I figure I can keep one WIP thread for all the projects I have half finished. :P

The latest one is a steampunk shotgun based on some concept art done by Sergey Tsimmer.

tsimmersergey-gun-sketch-1-62e126ad-evc5.jpeg
    1268 x 992 - 289K
    NekoBoomBoom-07r.png
    1649 x 871 - 593K
    NekoBoomBoom-Cylinder.png
    1398 x 871 - 315K
  • KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,210

Awesome work on the car and gun. I love the '68 charger, one of my favorite cars of all time.

• Nice one Jon, I really like the design Sergey came up with. Your model looks great - nice one :)

• Those are neat gun drawings to model from.

Those are neat gun drawings to model from.

Funny thing is, it wasn't until I was looking for the shotgun that I realized that Pretty3D already had used those as a basis for the pistol in her Sweet Pain outfit.

edited April 2019

I needed a Venetian gondola for an upcoming image, so I put this together last night. It's a pretty simple model, so it was fun to start and end a project in one night. :)

GondolaWIP.jpg
    1396 x 871 - 49K
    Post edited by JonnyRay on
  • Nice one Jon, brings back memories :)

Mine isn't nearly as refined as yours is John, but it will serve it's purpose for me. :)

JonnyRay said:

Mine isn't nearly as refined as yours is John, but it will serve it's purpose for me. :)

They're both better than the boat I tried to make a couple of weeks ago. That thing looked like it was made of concrete, hopefully it'll sink to the bottom of my content library.laugh

Thanks to Max's recent tutorial on symmetry and cloning. I was able to make the cylinder for the steampunk shotgun in less than 2 hours. Last time I tried, it was much more of a mess and took me a whole day.

Cylinder.png
    1396 x 872 - 345K
    Looks nice. I'm going to have to check out those tutorials.
  • AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

You got some nasty poles right in the corners. Try to get rid of them and move them to the flatter surfaces to have less visible artifacts.

Nice catch, you're right those could be moved. I'll clean that up. Thanks for the feedback.

• MaxHancockMaxHancock Posts: 226

Good start!  Looking forward to seeing that come together!

I cleaned up the poles that Ascania pointed out. Looks much cleaner now. And have also been working on the main frame of the gun. Still a lot of adjustments and detail work to do there, but it's starting to look like a gun! :)

Cylinder2.png
    1900 x 871 - 284K
    NekoBoomBoom-37.png
    1396 x 871 - 328K
  • MaxHancockMaxHancock Posts: 226

Looking better!   There's still some stray stars on the left side, but if it doesn't bother you, it doesn't bother me! :). Keep going! 

Looking better!   There's still some stray stars on the left side, but if it doesn't bother you, it doesn't bother me! :). Keep going! 

Yeah, I noticed those, but in the final model, that part of the cylinder is going to be covered by the shotgun shells so I didn't feel like spending more time resolving them. :)

By the way, since I managed to catch Faveral's Gondola on sale, I chickened out on using mine and used his instead for the image of Dega and Neko's Gondola Ride.

• Great render Jonny :)

Great render Jonny :)

Thanks, :)

Very nice!

• RakudaRakuda Posts: 931
    edited May 2019
    JonnyRay said:

Thanks to Max's recent tutorial on symmetry and cloning. I was able to make the cylinder for the steampunk shotgun in less than 2 hours. Last time I tried, it was much more of a mess and took me a whole day.

Can relate to that. I sat for a long time trying to do a few basic things last night in Hex. I kept plodding along thinking this will get easier with more practice... It is nice though when you fiind a way to automate something that was formerly a long drawn-out process.

Post edited by Rakuda on

I've had a request for a commissioned image where the requestor would really like a cuban necklace on his character. I haven't had good luck finding such a product pre-packaged; so debating whether I want to take the effort to try to model it myself.

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited July 2019

Had a go at it. Kind of tricky. Having trouble reproducing the bulk without the link geometry intersecting. But perhaps that wouldn't be noticeable in a render.

Start with a circle. Use the "Twister" utility to twist 90 degrees on the x axis. Rotate twisted circle 45 degrees to lay the link flat on the xy plane. Add thickness. Flatten the top and bottom facets a little (soft selection helps). Clone the link to form the chain.

EDIT: I attached a zip file of the Hex document. Feel free to use it in any way you wish.

cuban_link.png
    4198 x 3022 - 2M
    zip
    zip
    cuban_link.hxn.zip
    Post edited by de3an on

I've watched a couple of YouTube videos on it too. The best one was using Blender, but the concept was the same. He had a couple of tips. First was to start with more of an oval curve to give more room for one link to intersect with the two next to it. The other was to only twist the link about 60 degrees, This keeps it flatter and has a heavier look, but you may have to carve some material out of the underside of the intersections between links so that the meshes aren't passing through each other.

I'm still pondering whether to try it or not. It's a lot of extra work for a pretty simple (low fee) commission image.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    JonnyRay said:

Where do I find Max's tutorials, I went to his webpage but only find a link for the keyboard chart no tutorials tho

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    Kharma said:
    JonnyRay said:

Where do I find Max's tutorials, I went to his webpage but only find a link for the keyboard chart no tutorials tho

Then you haven't bothered scolling down.