Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 12

Comments

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724
    edited April 2019
    Taoz said:

Have anyone tried the GlowFi Hair ? I just tested it and it seems to use an insane amount of memory, if you render it in a separate window.

I only have 8 GB RAM in my rendering machine, but I can render fairly complex scenes anyway, like a G8 figure with hair, clothing and some enviroment, and usually I can have more than one render window open. But with only this hair loaded and nothing else, I can barely render a 900x900 render. If I do, and keep that window open, my system starts choking because it runs out of RAM if I try to render a second one. And while rendering VRAM use is close to 5 GB. The strange thing is that in Iray preview mode the same hair uses very little RAM and VRAM. Never seen anything like that before.

"Only" 8 GB? I wish I had 8 GB. I only have 2 GB. 

It's 8 GB RAM -  I think you are talking about VRAM (otherwise you'll probably have a hard time doing anything on that PC). I do have 8 GB VRAM as well, but with only 8 GB RAM I can't use it all anyway. It's silly, but whenever I have the money to build a new and better machine I manage to spend them on content instead. You can always buy new hardware, but content comes and goes (sometimes quickly), so like DAZ says "Get it while you can". Besides, the longer you wait, the better hardware you usually get for the money... smiley

Post edited by Taoz on
  • Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    Taoz said:
    Taoz said:

Have anyone tried the GlowFi Hair ? I just tested it and it seems to use an insane amount of memory, if you render it in a separate window.

I only have 8 GB RAM in my rendering machine, but I can render fairly complex scenes anyway, like a G8 figure with hair, clothing and some enviroment, and usually I can have more than one render window open. But with only this hair loaded and nothing else, I can barely render a 900x900 render. If I do, and keep that window open, my system starts choking because it runs out of RAM if I try to render a second one. And while rendering VRAM use is close to 5 GB. The strange thing is that in Iray preview mode the same hair uses very little RAM and VRAM. Never seen anything like that before.

It's 8 GB RAM -  I think you are talking about VRAM (otherwise you'll probably have a hard time doing anything on that PC). I do have 8 GB VRAM as well, but with 8 GB RAM I can't use it all anyway.

No. I'm talking RAM. My total RAM is only 2 GB. I use a 1.83 GHz Mac Mini. It's about 13 years old or so. 

Taoz said:
    Taoz said:

It's 8 GB RAM -  I think you are talking about VRAM (otherwise you'll probably have a hard time doing anything on that PC). I do have 8 GB VRAM as well, but with 8 GB RAM I can't use it all anyway.

No. I'm talking RAM. My total RAM is only 2 GB. I use a 1.83 GHz Mac Mini. It's about 13 years old or so. 

Wow. Time to upgrade I guess. And with Apple's prices and restrictions I'd go for a PC.

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    Taoz said:
    Taoz said:
    Taoz said:

Wow. Time to upgrade I guess. And with Apple's prices and restrictions I'd go for a PC.

I'm a MAC man 100%. Besides, Upgrading isn't an option. No money. Besides, I still use Adobe CS4, which won't run on Yosimite. The same with Bryce 7 and Hexagon 2.5. 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922
    edited April 2019
    Novica said:

Happy Easter everyone!   I don't own a bunny but I am taming squirrels- now they don't run helter-skelter when I'm in the yard, and "Pip" actually waits for me on the fence since yesterday. I have a squirrel feeder (corn cob holder) on my huge oak tree in the back yard. :)  My husband calls them tree rats. I love 'em! 

Squirrels are cute & funny but I don't know how you afford to support their hoarding! laugh

I put a bluebird house at the edge of the woods going up the mountain on my sister's land and later in the year, because the house is too high for me to see in, I just opened the house and stuck my hand in reaching to feel eggs but instead got a hand full of the softest critter I've ever touched, a flying squirrel, like from Bullwinkle & Rocky. I, and the flying squirrel about had heart attacks both. We  just stared at each other for about 5 minutes and then I finally left. Flying squirrels sleep in the day time; they have huge eyes.

If there was one pet i'd like, but it's not allowed, it would be a flying squirel. I am trying to make my land friendly to flying squirrels instead. I only have 0.6 acres though but I do border dozens of wooded acres going up to the top of the knob so I have a decent chance. It's unlikely I'd ever see one without a night camera though so I may have them already. I have raccoon, woodchuck, squirrel, chipmonk, birds, and there was even a doe with her triplet fawn year before last. Last year she wasn't here, the tripletts probably forced her out further into the national forest a few miles away. I've planted paw paw, American-Chinese hybrid chestnuts (called Dunstan - hybridized by a fellow in north Florida), hazelnuts, and American persimmons as extra food for them. There are not bearing yet though. There are already 3 large bearing bitternut hickories for them. 

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806

Anyone else having trouble with bookmarking this thread? I've bookmarked it multiple times but it just won't take hold. I'm getting no email notifications so have to manually check for new posts.

• No problem here.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806

I just opened the house and stuck my hand in reaching to feel eggs but instead got a hand full of the softest critter I've ever touched, a flying squirrel, like from Bullwinkle & Rocky. I, and the flying squirrel about had heart attacks both. 

Now that would be a good scene to render! 

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,260
    edited April 2019

No problem here but the forum Gremlin has hit me on other threads

Post edited by Robert Freise on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Heads up, if you haven't heard from me in the past five or so minutes, PM me. (All you lurkers that means you too)  I'll be online off and on the next hour at least. :) 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,121

I made another Road Bike render. The products used are listed in the gallery.

Should I Click Send?

@barbult   Love that caption and the lighting, the bike looks SO real!

edited April 2019

Heads up- Jyune is shown as being in the Pro Bundle on the Tika promo page, but she's not shown on the Pro Bundle product page, nor on the Jyune page as being part of the Pro Bundle. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

"It's unlikely I'd ever see one without a night camera"

We have had a family living in our yard for several years now, and see them quite often. Funny little guys. As you say, they are nocturnal, but, in our case our home is surrounded by trees, both hardwoods and conifers, so they live close by. We sometimes hear them when we are sitting in the gazebo in the evening, gliding between the trees. They really are fast, and make a real zooming sound when they pass over. You can sometimes hear them communicating as well. They don't chatter like our red squirrel, but make a soft chickering sound. We really see them mostly because we have a large, roofed platform feeder suspended from a large tree branch near our walkway, and they are frequent visitors there. My wife wanted me to mount the critter cam out there to get them on video, but I am concerned that the light might blind them, at least temporarily, so no camera. The thing that surprises me most is that the red squirrel, which is extremely territorial, doesn't seem convcerned. The red squirrel is diurnal, of course, but it still must be aware that they are around, living in the same yard and visting the same feeder as they do. They're not pets, nor do we want them to be, but they seem to have accepted us and don't usually take much notice (within limits, of course) when we're around. So if you give them a reason to come around, and an aerial route they can follow, they'll probably show up.

RGcincy said:

I just opened the house and stuck my hand in reaching to feel eggs but instead got a hand full of the softest critter I've ever touched, a flying squirrel, like from Bullwinkle & Rocky. I, and the flying squirrel about had heart attacks both. 

Now that would be a good scene to render! 

I would like to see if Alessandro M has the one he is talking about making done yet. They are gorgeous.

SixDs said:

We have had a family living in our yard for several years now, and see them quite often.

I'm so jealous!  And your gazebo sounds quite relaxing and lovely. Lucky you. :)  

SixDs said:

We have had a family living in our yard for several years now, and see them quite often. Funny little guys. As you say, they are nocturnal, but, in our case our home is surrounded by trees, both hardwoods and conifers, so they live close by. We sometimes hear them when we are sitting in the gazebo in the evening, gliding between the trees. They really are fast, and make a real zooming sound when they pass over. You can sometimes hear them communicating as well. They don't chatter like our red squirrel, but make a soft chickering sound. We really see them mostly because we have a large, roofed platform feeder suspended from a large tree branch near our walkway, and they are frequent visitors there. My wife wanted me to mount the critter cam out there to get them on video, but I am concerned that the light might blind them, at least temporarily, so no camera. The thing that surprises me most is that the red squirrel, which is extremely territorial, doesn't seem convcerned. The red squirrel is diurnal, of course, but it still must be aware that they are around, living in the same yard and visting the same feeder as they do. They're not pets, nor do we want them to be, but they seem to have accepted us and don't usually take much notice (within limits, of course) when we're around. So if you give them a reason to come around, and an aerial route they can follow, they'll probably show up.

Thanks for the feeder tips. They sound like fun residents of your yard.They and chipmunks are my favorite types of squirrels. Chipmunks also have a squeaky almost bat like sound they make.

Surprisingly, a wild animal that lives in a tree that will often allow you to walk very near before they'll fly off are owls. I walked up right to a Hoot Owl (Northern Barred Owl), absolutely huge it was, under the branch on the dogwood it was perching on at nighttime serveral times and took pictures (without flash & only one of them was remotely keepable) and it didn't fly away, and in daytime I've walked right under the trees barn owls were perching in but they'd fly away before I could get a picture but not far and then i'd taken a picture or two. When we were in Madawa, Rajasthan last year at dusk we walked right up to a branch that two of some sort of pygmy owls were perching on and took a couple of flashless pictures, not any good but enough for my to use to figure out the size and type after vacation was over..

edited April 2019

double post

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,260
    edited April 2019

Speaking of Owls I've got a story for from night before last

I went let my dog Emerald out and when I opened the door this mouse ran in big mistake as my three cats pounced on it all at the same time with the result that they were in each others way and the mouse escaped and went right back out the door where it was grabbed up by a small Owl that swooped in from the side

I'm assuming that the mouse was running from the Owl to begin with when it ran into the house and the cats

Post edited by Robert Freise on

Speaking of Owls I've got a story for from night before last

I went let my dog Emerald out and when I opened the door this mouse ran in big mistake as my three cats pounced on it all at the same time with the result that they were in each others way and the mouse escaped and went right back out the door where it was grabbed up by a small Owl that swooped in from the side

I'm assuming that the mouse was running from the Owl to begin with when it ran into the house and the cats

Yeah, I'm thinking the ols were handing out for the field mice them must of come to visit underneath the bird feeder where the birds had dropped seeds. The pygmy owls though I don't know what they eat. 

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558

I’m not a fan of squirrels personally, they devastate my vegetable garden and destroy all my fruits and vegetables even gnawing through the door of  my greenhouse to eat my fresh tomatoes. They don’t just eat a few they ate everything with ravenous abandon. I love animals but had to resort to trapping to stop them which was hard to do, as you have to kill them here as it is illegal to trap and release. 

Fortuntely I now have a terrier and rodents of any sort have been driven away at least during daylight hours when she is on patrol.

edited April 2019

I don't recall what you call this map problem but I guess the image explains everything. It's DP Bestie - does anyone know if this has been reported?

bestie_maps.png
    526 x 475 - 282K
    Post edited by Taoz on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,121
    edited April 2019

I made this silly render with some of the sale items I picked up yesterday. I had that truck in my wishlist for a long time. The carcass is part of that truck product, but not really intended to be used with the tubes on the flatbed. That doesn't stop me, though! This is kind of like an RRRR render, where random products are used to create a render, this time, products picked up in the sales. These are the sale things I used:

OIther things used are listed in the galleryThe HDRI is a freebie from Aversis www.aversis.be.

Post edited by barbult on

I just got back online and although it's a bit late in the day, I do want to point out that if you didn't bother to scroll the entire sale page, you may not realize you are getting $20 off in NUMEROUS categories. Some people over in the Tika thread mentioned they only thought it was one category.

And if you had the purple banner, yes, the Pro Bundle price (if you bought the requirements) should be $37.03  I bought it early this morning, before the cart started going whacky (aka, I bought it when the store changed over.)  The add-ons were either 51% or 66% (if DOs) and I bought the required number of 4 or more -  was that pricing correct?

I picked up more than $20 in each category, as you only get charged the difference. Some people may not know that. You do not have to stay at $20 or under.  So a few items were 89% off, just a couple bucks. 

barbult said:

I made this silly render with some of the sale items I picked up yesterday.

They're going to have a great deal of fun dragging that off and munching on it! 

barbult said:

I made this silly render with some of the sale items I picked up yesterday. I had that truck in my wishlist for a long time. The carcass is part of that truck product, but not really intended to be used with the tubes on the flatbed. That doesn't stop me, though! This is kind of like an RRRR render, where random products are used to create a render, this time, products picked up in the sales. These are the sale things I used:

OIther things used are listed in the galleryThe HDRI is a freebie from Aversis www.aversis.be.

Dog to the other: "Haha, he thought he could hide his wife's body. I'll call my friend who's a police dog..."

edited April 2019

Talking about silly renders resulting from throwing different new stuff together for a test, here's one I once made. "Red Bathrobe Cheetahs Gang robbing a bank".

red_bathrobe_cheetahs.png
    1501 x 1070 - 2M
    Post edited by Taoz on
  • firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454

Does anyone know why some items don't show up in the Download Install Manager? From the number of products showing in DIM, I think I have a lot of products that are this way. But for now I'm only caring about those I want to use. For example, New York City Storefront, https://www.daz3d.com/new-york-city-storefront doesn't show in DIM. If I use the link from my Product Library that supposedly brings it up in DIM, it comes up blank. I have to download and install it by hand. I've had several items I bought lately that do this, I can't recall them all atm.

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,774
    edited April 2019

I just made a quick render for anybody wondering what the Meadow Whispers Outfit looks like without the body armour.

The answer is: pretty good! And that's a good thing, since it seems to me that occasions when you want to wear an ankle-length dress, and occasions when you want to wear body armour are probably mutually exclusive - but both are great for kitbashing! Add to that it's 60% off brand new (if you're PC+ and have the Daz Horse 2) and it triggers a remarkably generous sale, and it was a must-buy.

The only shame was that I liked the look of some of those Genesis hairs at 70% off, but couldn't afford them after I'd bought a load of long-wishlisted Sickleyield items at 68% off! Oh well, there'll always be another sale...

PS. Model is Shawna, hair is Annabelle.

PPS. Added a rear view

meadow.png
    533 x 800 - 414K
    meadow2.png
    533 x 800 - 333K
    Post edited by chris-2599934 on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,130

Does anyone know why some items don't show up in the Download Install Manager? From the number of products showing in DIM, I think I have a lot of products that are this way. But for now I'm only caring about those I want to use. For example, New York City Storefront, https://www.daz3d.com/new-york-city-storefront doesn't show in DIM. If I use the link from my Product Library that supposedly brings it up in DIM, it comes up blank. I have to download and install it by hand. I've had several items I bought lately that do this, I can't recall them all atm.

What filters do you have set in DIM settings?

This discussion has been closed.