New Users Contest *October 2013* ►►► WIP THREAD ◄◄◄

Comments

• TeofaTeofa Posts: 823
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Hmm.. I'm not getting the Choppers Camo at all. It looks like it really stands out against the sky to me. LOL, wink, wink nudge, nudge...

Ok now Im giggling over a old Monty Python sketch on camo. lol.

• TobiasGTobiasG Posts: 447
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    It never made much sense to me to camouflage aircraft.

Well, copters tend to fly relatively low, so they're frequently seen against a background of found/trees/urban, I guess. But mainly, you have to paint it somehow, so why not go for some sort of camo?

Personally, I'd prefer Dazzle Camo, of course :) Brilliant idea (at least from a design pov), shame it didn't catch on.

dazzle4.jpg
    600 x 400 - 57K
    edited October 2013

Ok this bit of dreck is what happens when I go off on a tangent and it just grows. All started with my future corporate poster and went goofy places.

Calling it "Behind the Facade" It is my own "plan 9 from outer space" cliche wise.

Edited to remove 1 pixel of flesh poke on the back girl. It never showed till render.

behind_the_facade.png
    876 x 700 - 881K
    Post edited by Teofa on
  • Mcjam24Mcjam24 Posts: 115
    edited December 1969

@standfast, love that concept

And here is my latest incarnation, played with the sofa a bit, but spent most of my time working on the velvet shirt, this is where it stands now, this has been the biggest "pain" so far, getting something that fakes velvet qualities, at least with my current level of knowledge.

OctoberContest20.jpg
    800 x 800 - 555K
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Those are BOTH looking very good, but saw that coming didn't ya? The posing of the Leg causes a Semi flaw. This pose gives the impression that something went wrong with the stocking on the upper leg, I know it's the TOP of the lower stocking but it does detract from the Over all composition of the image. IMHO.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,329
    edited December 1969

mcjam24 said:
    @standfast, love that concept

And here is my latest incarnation, played with the sofa a bit, but spent most of my time working on the velvet shirt, this is where it stands now, this has been the biggest "pain" so far, getting something that fakes velvet qualities, at least with my current level of knowledge.

It looks really good

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Opps, I meant BOTH above Renders looked Good. The Composition stuff was addressed to the Girl on the couch.

edited October 2013

I can't suggest the nuts and bolts of it, but I would back off some of the "hotter" reflect coming off the velvet if it were mine. Or leave it, it is a nice shader. Eh, I don't know what I'm trying to say, I like it on her arms, like it on the rest but its kinda like they don't connect. Probably nothing to do with the shader, and more the light. Ignore me, I'm babbling. The more I look at it, the better I like it. I looked at your last wip and the subtle light change on her face is great.

I like the texture on your sofa shader a lot.

Thanks Jaderail and Frank.

Post edited by Teofa on
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Got no idea on the rules and not into "commercial" so this is just "this is what I did today".

Made a shader ... make "grass" ... or alien produce fields ... or ... [appearance affected also by the quality of the mesh].

Lawn_w_Tunnel.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 487K
  • Mcjam24Mcjam24 Posts: 115
    edited December 1969

Is this a model, or displacement? Depending on the scale, i'm getting visions of fur....or at least one of those nail beds :-)

edited October 2013

mcjam24 said:
    Is this a model, or displacement? Depending on the scale, i'm getting visions of fur....or at least one of those nail beds :-)

Yes, I made a 3D model of a lawn and in between the layers, a winding tunnel for underground critters. The top surface is 'flat' ... the shader uses displacement and bump.

Fur, nail beds [ouch], um, boot trays, welcome/scatter mats ... maybe hair ... depends on the style ;-)

Post edited by patience55 on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

mcjam24 said:

Yes, I made a 3D model of a lawn and in between the layers, a winding tunnel for underground critters. The top surface is 'flat' ... the shader uses displacement and bump.

Fur, nail beds [ouch], um, boot trays, welcome/scatter mats ... maybe hair ... depends on the style ;-)
    Might make for pretty good artificial turf, or perhaps a rice paddy with young plants. Seems very functional and versatile!

edited December 1969

mcjam24 said:

Might make for pretty good artificial turf, or perhaps a rice paddy with young plants. Seems very functional and versatile!

Knew I forgot something ... render on other computer ... also makes a really nifty Alien type crop field.

• firefly43firefly43 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Shader Tutorial 1 - A Basic shader for DAZ Studio.

Items you will need, Daz Studio, any Version and that is all. Not even a item for this.

1> In your Create Menu select Primitive. Set it to ANY you like it does not matter.
    2> Be sure the Primitive is Selected in the Scene Tab and then open your Surfaces Tab.
    3> In the Surfaces tab expand the Primitive and Select the Default header, your Surfaces section will populate with ALL channels.
    4> In the Diffuse Color channel is a list of 3 numbers side by side Click on the Color area and not a number.
    5> An default color picker will open. Pick a nice base color, for this I picked bright Red.
    6> Now in Surfaces Find Glossiness, and set it to around 25%. I set mine to 25%.
    7> Under Glossiness is Specular Color, here again in Specular Color click in the Color Area for the picker. Now pick WHITE.
    8> Now Scroll way to the near bottom of the Surfaces Tab and find Lighting Model, it will say Plastic. Change it to Glossy (Plastic).

There that's all in the Surfaces Tab.

In your FILE Menu go to Save As and then Shader Preset, you should still have the item selected in the Scene Tab and Default selected in the Surfaces Tab. A File menu will open Enter a Name for your New Plastic Shader and click SAVE. A new menu will open just click Accept.

In your DAZ Studio section find Presets, open it. In it find Shaders and open it. There is your NEW Basic shader. Now run off and put it on something. Here is what I did. Can you pick out my Read Shader? Click image for full size.

OH MY GOD! I know that you will all be rolling off your chairs in laughter, but this is the first time I have made anything that worked.
    Made the shader as you instructed. Opened a prop, took seven tries to realize I had to merge it not try to open it and here is my first anything!!

Here is my shader ball preset - initial merge to prop - and some tweaking play after!

I know it's kindergarten stuff but I never have been able to make it work!!

THANK YOU

2013-10-16_18-33_DAZ_Studio_4.6_Pro_.jpg
    487 x 437 - 12K
    2013-10-16_18-25_DAZ_Studio_4.6_Pro_.jpg
    508 x 436 - 14K
    2013-10-16_18-13_DAZ_Studio_4.6_Pro_.jpg
    495 x 398 - 11K
    edited December 1969

firefly43 said:
    Jaderail said:
    Shader Tutorial 1 - A Basic shader for DAZ Studio.

Items you will need, Daz Studio, any Version and that is all. Not even a item for this.

1> In your Create Menu select Primitive. Set it to ANY you like it does not matter.
    2> Be sure the Primitive is Selected in the Scene Tab and then open your Surfaces Tab.
    3> In the Surfaces tab expand the Primitive and Select the Default header, your Surfaces section will populate with ALL channels.
    4> In the Diffuse Color channel is a list of 3 numbers side by side Click on the Color area and not a number.
    5> An default color picker will open. Pick a nice base color, for this I picked bright Red.
    6> Now in Surfaces Find Glossiness, and set it to around 25%. I set mine to 25%.
    7> Under Glossiness is Specular Color, here again in Specular Color click in the Color Area for the picker. Now pick WHITE.
    8> Now Scroll way to the near bottom of the Surfaces Tab and find Lighting Model, it will say Plastic. Change it to Glossy (Plastic).

There that's all in the Surfaces Tab.

In your FILE Menu go to Save As and then Shader Preset, you should still have the item selected in the Scene Tab and Default selected in the Surfaces Tab. A File menu will open Enter a Name for your New Plastic Shader and click SAVE. A new menu will open just click Accept.

In your DAZ Studio section find Presets, open it. In it find Shaders and open it. There is your NEW Basic shader. Now run off and put it on something. Here is what I did. Can you pick out my Read Shader? Click image for full size.

OH MY GOD! I know that you will all be rolling off your chairs in laughter, but this is the first time I have made anything that worked.
    Made the shader as you instructed. Opened a prop, took seven tries to realize I had to merge it not try to open it and here is my first anything!!

Here is my shader ball preset - initial merge to prop - and some tweaking play after!

I know it's kindergarten stuff but I never have been able to make it work!!

THANK YOU

Congrats! It's looking good

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    edited December 1969

standfast said:
    new shader.
    Where can I get that shader, and is it free? I need a camouflage shader.
    edited December 1969

I don't believe there are any camo shaders out there for free

edited December 1969

standfast said:
    new shader.

I made it.

edited December 1969

standfast said:
    standfast said:
    new shader.

I made it.
    Will you upload it to ShareCG? I want it!!!!!

edited October 2013

I will have to figure out how, and where all the files are and go. its on my DAZ, but I don't know where to look for all the bits. I'll give it a try I guess. Would they all have the same name just different extensions?

never done this. I'll post it on my Art Studio thread so as to not hijack this further, k.

K I can't figure it out, with zips and stuff, and my folders are a mess, all my shader textures are pathed to "My Junk Textures" for example.
    so, in the spirit of learning, follow Jaderails Tut, Add a folder to runtime, textures, name it something, and put these maps in it.

In the editor, select your sphere, and go down the settings.

Add the ACU mat to diffuse map..square on left in editor will let you browse to wherever you put it. on diffuse setting. Set color to white. the diffuse color can be set to different hues for different effects, but for now, white.

Gloss I set to 98. Reflection is set very low 15 or so, reflect color is light grey. This can be changed depending on surface. Cloth.. metal, will be different.

Scroll down to Bump settings. use the browse option on the little square to load ACU_Bump. Set bump low.. 10 or less. Positive and negative bump can be 0. color also white.

No displacement, unless you want papier mache camo. I didn't.

Scroll to Tiling. Set both Horizontal and Verticle tiling to 4 to start. This can be adjusted, depending on how the surface uses the material map. No offset settings.

I set my UV to matte for my clothes, but you can set it to plastic, whatever for the surface you are using. Set that however you wish.

With the sphere selected, go to Save As..Shader Preset, name it what you wish. And here are the maps. Anyone that wants them can have them.

We are learning about making shaders, so, if you want this camo, make it :) Then mess with it :) I hope this is OK with DAZ, if not, remove it and I'll figure out how to do CGshare, but that might take a week or more.and Im kinda afraid to do stuff like that.

LKG_ACU_BUMP.jpg
    1954 x 2000 - 220K
    LKG_ACU.jpg
    1954 x 2000 - 280K
    Post edited by Teofa on
    edited October 2013

Jaderail said:
    Simple fast question. I find myself in a yo-yo world with my nights, my days and my sleep all a big mess. This is due to my health and some stupidity on my part from trying to do to much on some days and not resting enough on others. I'm here when I am and that's all I can do until things sort themselves out again. Now for the question...

How many users here still need help with creating multi layered shaders in just the DAZ Studio Surfaces Pane? No need of the Shader mIxer.

I do. will be pleased to get any help, really really new at this.

EDIT Just caught that your ill, me too that is why I have time to play right now. Alsmost 4am my time.

But don't worry about me, I can figure it out, just take care of you.

Post edited by firefly43 on
    edited December 1969

.... wandering by again ...

Runtime > textures > YOUR HANDLE > subfolders as you please

This is the place to put "all" "your" texture images "before" making anything, clothing materials, shaders, environments, anything ...
    that one plans on sharing.

From the folder you wish to be accessing from the Desktop, right-click on it and "send to desktop" ... that will put a desktop icon on the desktop for quick and easy access.

Saves a lot of post editing work later on ...

edited December 1969

standfast said:
    I will have to figure out how, and where all the files are and go. its on my DAZ, but I don't know where to look for all the bits. I'll give it a try I guess. Would they all have the same name just different extensions?

never done this. I'll post it on my Art Studio thread so as to not hijack this further, k.

K I can't figure it out, with zips and stuff, and my folders are a mess, all my shader textures are pathed to "My Junk Textures" for example.
    so, in the spirit of learning, follow Jaderails Tut, Add a folder to runtime, textures, name it something, and put these maps in it.

Add the ACU mat to diffuse map..square on left in editor will let you browse to wherever you put it. on diffuse setting. Set color to white. the diffuse color can be set to different hues for different effects, but for now, white.

Gloss I set to 98. Reflection is set very low 15 or so, reflect color is light grey. This can be changed depending on surface. Cloth.. metal, will be different.

Scroll down to Bump settings. use the browse option on the little square to load ACU_Bump. Set bump low.. 10 or less. Positive and negative bump can be 0. color also white.

Scroll to Tiling. Set both Horizontal and Verticle tiling to 4 to start. This can be adjusted, depending on how the surface uses the material map. No offset settings.

I set my UV to matte for my clothes, but you can set it to plastic, whatever for the surface you are using. Set that however you wish.

With the sphere selected, go to Save As..Shader Preset, name it what you wish. And here are the maps. Anyone that wants them can have them.

We are learning about making shaders, so, if you want this camo, make it :) Then mess with it :) I hope this is OK with DAZ, if not, remove it and I'll figure out how to do CGshare, but that might take a week or more.and Im kinda afraid to do stuff like that.

Very nice textures. One thing about the bump map though. It shouldn't have the camouflage pattern on it, just the weave of the cloth.
    edited December 1969

standfast said:

That's a pretty darn good job on the camo

edited October 2013

okay I keep hearing people talk about "uber" stuff. I am assuming this dose not come with Studio Pro as I have yet to be able to find it anywhere (not that I can find anything..LOL) So I did a search for ubersurface and only came up with Ubersurface2.

Is this what I need?

Do I need ubersurface first, and if so how do I find it?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Just not getting the tutorial for the Shader Mixer. I'm beginning to think it was written for folks with a base general knowledge of what they are doing, which is not me ... LOL. It also looks like it must have been written for another version of Daz because I do not have the things they are showing in the pics. Mine looks different from what I am seeing.

So if I get ubersurface2 dose that mean I will not need the shader mixer to be able to create more then a solid color as a shader?

Post edited by firefly43 on
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

firefly43 said:
    okay I keep hearing people talk about "uber" stuff. I am assuming this dose not come with Studio Pro as I have yet to be able to find it anywhere (not that I can find anything..LOL) So I did a search for ubersurface and only came up with Ubersurface2.

Is this what I need?

Just not getting the tutorial for the Shader Mixer. I'm beginning to think it was written for folks with a base general knowledge of what they are doing, which is not me ... LOL. It also looks like it must have been written for another version of Daz because I do not have the things they are showing in the pics. Mine looks different from what I am seeing.

So if I get ubersurface2 dose that mean I will not need the shader mixer to be able to create more then a solid color as a shader?

Szark prepared a tutorial on Uber Lighting that might be helpful. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14536/

You can also check out the WIP threads for prior New User Contests. Some of them are specifically about lighting and most contain tips on lighting. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/28192/

edited December 1969

We just did a lighting contest last month

edited December 1969

Thanks Frank :)

@Trampgraphics I was not sure if I needed a fiber bump or the main image. I saw both looking at the professional shaders I have. Kinda figured since bump is just light that different light off the different colors would work at low value.

Its your camo now, put in a fabric bump :). I just want folks to play with it.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

firefly43 said:

Is this what I need?

The tutorial I did covers UberSurface, which is included in DAZ Studio 4.6 Pro (for free). Part 2 of the tutorial (Using UberSurface) has information on where to find it.
    edited October 2013

firefly43 said:

Is this what I need?

Take a giant step backwards. You don't need either shader mixer or Ubersurface. You can use color maps (jpg) in the diffuse setting of default sett'ings to make multicolored basic shaders. Either use images with plain borders or make them tileable. You can use maps in the bump and displacement settings to give detail and relief. The default shader is very versatile. Many professional products I look at in my Runtime only use the default shader :)

But that is me. Right after loading a nice shade or texture, I'm into the settings looking at how they did it.

Post edited by Teofa on