crazy realistic UE4 characters, anyone seen?

davidtriunedavidtriune Posts: 452
edited April 2019 in The Commons

They look better than the best ones i've seen in DAZ studio:

Espcially the eyes (lacrimal detail). And it's all done in real time =o I hope genesis 9 will have this kind of realism when it comes out.

Post edited by davidtriune on

Comments

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384
    edited April 2019

Yes, the detail is quite good. There are, of course, many renders that I've seen done with DAZ Studio that are comparable, done by those wishing to take the time and effort to do it. Remember that those are cutscenes, so, although playback may be "realtime", their creation most certainly was not. That doesn't detract from the excellent results, but the characters are also not doing a heck of a lot, either, not even blinking. Most of the motion is the camera panning and zooming. As I said, anyone wishing to do something similar in DAZ Studio with DAZ3D figures can do so now, without waiting for a new figure. All the tools and ingredients are already available. It just requires the skill and effort that whoever created those scenes put into them.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but we just need to call a spade a spade, to mix metaphors.

Post edited by SixDs on
  • xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,639

Thanks for posting. I've been wondering when Daz would stop slacking on the irises, sclerae, & lacrimals, even/especially on Core characters. I have to pull elements from several different vendors to even get close to realism, and then both eyes are often identical.

• davidtriunedavidtriune Posts: 452
    SixDs said:

Yes, the detail is quite good. There are, of course, many renders that I've seen done with DAZ Studio that are comparable, done by those wishing to take the time and effort to do it. Remember that those are cutscenes, so, although playback may be "realtime", their creation most certainly was not. That doesn't detract from the excellent results, but the characters are also not doing a heck of a lot, either, not even blinking. Most of the motion is the camera panning and zooming. As I said, anyone wishing to do something similar in DAZ Studio with DAZ3D figures can do so now, without waiting for a new figure. All the tools and ingredients are already available. It just requires the skill and effort that whoever created those scenes put into them.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but we just need to call a spade a spade, to mix metaphors.

interesting. i'll definitely look for those tools to use in my characters.

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679
    SixDs said:

How can you be so certain the creation was not real time? This video was created BEFORE real time ray tracing was available in Unreal. It was made in 2017. So there is no real time ray tracing going one here. Since it is not doing ray tracing, the frame rate should be very high. There is nothing in the background. Also, if you watch close, I think I can spot a small frame rate drop when the light flashes in her eyes, which indicates to me this was recorded in real time. Before ray tracing hardware and DXR, Unreal was capable of casting light and reflections, but in a limited scope.

wait, isnt UE4 itself always realtime? it's a game engine after all. they wouldnt make cinematic stuff in a game engine if they have maya etc.

edited April 2019
    xyer0 said:

Thanks for posting. I've been wondering when Daz would stop slacking on the irises, sclerae, & lacrimals, even/especially on Core characters. I have to pull elements from several different vendors to even get close to realism, and then both eyes are often identical.

i'm going to check out the new "Natural Eyes" by chevybabe25 to see if that takes me one step closer to real

Post edited by davidtriune on

The point is, each frame of the video needs to be rendered. That is true whether the video shows any movement of the subject or if the camera perspective changes. And rendering takes time. You are correct that it is nearly impossible to say for certain whether the rendering of the images took place in the same timeframe it takes to view the video simply by watching it. But I'd bet it took longer. Those are certainly not "in game" assets that are being used.

• FauvistFauvist Posts: 2,038

Just think!  Soon they won't need actors for movies or television.

• wizwiz Posts: 1,100
    Fauvist said:

Aside from the little detail that actors act. The links provided were thoroughly unimpressive:

• The second link may as well have been a sculpture in a wax museum: there wasn't the slightest movement.
    • The first link was slightly more animated, the head nodded and bobbled a bit. And the clothes blew like silk, even though that jacket probably wasn't in the least silky.
  • mikekmikek Posts: 192
    SixDs said:

There are, of course, many renders that I've seen done with DAZ Studio that are comparable

Would help me if you link a few.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342

There are ways without rendering the entire frame. There could be a separate framebuffer that contains the entire sweep of the background and sections are simply blitted in offsets frame by frame as the 'camera pans'. The same can happen with the figure and clothes (though if they turn on vertical axis as well it's more complex). The areas that move/wave are predefined areas and are the only parts redrawn.

Now view the videos again. I have no idea if what I said is the way it works, it's just one possibility.

Well, I'll link one chosen randomly:

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/768466

If you are expecting me to present you with some sort of compendium, that isn't going to happen.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

They look better than the best ones i've seen in DAZ studio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9HGeKGA4bg&t=3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh9msqaoJZw

Espcially the eyes (lacrimal detail). And it's all done in real time =o I hope genesis 9 will have this kind of realism when it comes out.

Great still shots.

As animations they are lacking signs of life.

• VisuimagVisuimag Posts: 547
    edited April 2019

I don't know, I've seen some pretty detailed stuff come from Studio :P

Head Shot 01 (4K).png
    3840 x 2160 - 4M
    The FINAL Head Shot (4K).png
    3840 x 2160 - 4M
    Post edited by Visuimag on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited April 2019

Is Swimclub a euphemism for fight-club?

Those are great and very convincing

Post edited by nicstt on
  • xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,639

Check your inbox (click gear icon in upper right corner), @davidtriune.

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,104
    Fauvist said:

Shades of the classic SF film "Looker".

Fauvist said:

why are you eager for the onset of the robot apocalpyse? jk :D

Visuimag said:

I don't know, I've seen some pretty detailed stuff come from Studio :P

nice pics, poor kid.

• VisuimagVisuimag Posts: 547
    edited April 2019

Thanks guys on the remarks above! I just feel perspective is needed when claiming that DAZ is any sort of notable distance from UE4 in regards to character models.

Just imagine Genesis 9 if Genesis 8 can look like this.

E L L I O T · 1.png
    3840 x 2160 - 5M
    E L L I O T · 3.png
    3840 x 2160 - 4M
    E L L I O T · 4.png
    3840 x 2160 - 4M
    Post edited by Visuimag on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,524
    edited April 2019

There is a new tutorial for UE4 - https://www.daz3d.com/character-creation-for-real-time-filmmaking

but the screenshot from UE4 does not look so realistic to me.

The author claims, that he teaches UE4 for couple of years, so it is not so easy to achieve a good realistic

characters in UE4.

Post edited by Artini on
    Artini said:

There is a new tutorial for UE4 - https://www.daz3d.com/character-creation-for-real-time-filmmaking

but the screenshot from UE4 does not look so realistic to me.

The author claims, that he teaches UE4 for couple of years, so it is not so easy to achieve a good realistic

characters in UE4.

Yes it's not easy, the guy who made the one in my 1st youtube link, said he creates each character in about 1 year (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDoPTxCj2mE)

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,140

Whole presentation: 

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,712
    Fauvist said:

I sometimes wonder what the point is with all that realism, and if it's a good thing. I prefer to be able to discern between what's real and what's fiction, especially in this world where anything that can be abused will be abused.

Personally I don't strive for realism in my art, I'm happy if I think things just look good. I actually prefer that you can see that it's CGI, and not "just another photo".  

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679
    Visuimag said:

Thanks guys on the remarks above! I just feel perspective is needed when claiming that DAZ is any sort of notable distance from UE4 in regards to character models.

Just imagine Genesis 9 if Genesis 8 can look like this.

Well Genesis 8 isn't some leap over G3, though. I'll argue until my dying breath that G8 is more like G3.5, but whatever. I don't know why we would expect G9 to be some sudden magic leap over 8. Genesis 3 can wear every Genesis 8 skin out of the box, and ultimately most of the detail you are getting here is from texturing and material surface settings, NOT the actual base mesh. You can duplicate these exact images on Genesis 3.

Texturing is where video games may slip behind, they can have very small textures with very few sub surface maps, if any such maps at all. It is very common for video game models to have only 2 or 3 maps per surface: The base color texture, a normal map, a specularity map. Sometimes the models don't even have a specularity map. That's not much to work with if you are striving for photoreal. But Unreal does have support for subsurface scattering, so it is possible.

Building a model from scratch takes a lot of time. That is why Daz Studio exists in the first place. They have created a modular base model for people to use. That modular nature allows us to do what we do, changing clothes or applying poses so easily. However video games can have totally different model systems from each other. There is really no such thing as modular when it comes to gaming. Video games tend to have models with the clothes wielded on as part of that model, you cannot strip a game model like a Daz model, there is no geometry or surface texture under the clothes. This is done for performance. Just like unseen textures and things can hurt Daz Iray performance, it can really hurt a game's performance.

Daz models being modular is both a blessing and a curse. A game can purpose build its models exactly as they need to be. Some games have models with well over 100,000 polygons. But it depends on the game.