Help! Has my account been hacked?

ElgyfuElgyfu Posts: 279

For some reason I am still signed in on this computer, so can post here.

I can not sign in on my phone or another browser as it is saying the password is wrong.  I am sure I am typing it right, but as I did recently change it, there is a wee chance I have just forgotten it.

BUT  I can not reset the password because it says the email address is wrong.  It is defintely my email, as I have been using on Daz since 2002.

I can access the account page on this computer (as still logged in here), but can not reset the password because I can not put in the correct "current password".

I am worried that someone has hacked the account.  I have had no emails to say anything has changed, btw.

I have submitted a ticket but don't know what to do next.  It is Easter weekend, so am fretting it will take ages to sort.

Elgyfu

Comments

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

If you have any credit/debit card information attached to your Daz account, you need to contact your bank and ask them to put a hold or lock on the cards involved. Do that right now.

Daz staff will probably be unavailable until after the holiday weekend, so your only recourse is your bank.

• ElgyfuElgyfu Posts: 279

I can see the account page, the email address on there is my usual one.

I also just tried opening my Download Manager, it logged in fine using whatever password it has stored (which of course I can't see)

So logically my email address is still associated with this account and fine...

But for some reason I can't use it to reset the password, so maybe it is a glitch with Daz rather than my being hacked?

The credit card connected to my account is long expired.  I don't think anyone can pay with Amazon or paypal without knowing my passwords for those sites, can they?

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

I don't use Amazon or Paypal, but if someone somehow manages to access them, then the company is responsible, unless they try and pin it on you.

Having said that, and after reading your second post, it sounds more like a glitch. I hope you get this sorted without any loss, but you may not learn anything until after Easter.

Very best of luck to you Elgyfu!

(Frank)

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,318

Since apparently your email address is still associated with your account, you could try checking the "Forgot Password' box on one of the devices where you can't sign in. Then use the password you get in the email to change your password.

This is what I have been trying, Charlie.  I tried on my phone and my tablet, and in another browser on this computer. 

When I click on "Forgot password" it either says "Email not recognized" or just goes to the "Register a new account".

Thank you for your kind words, Frank.  I am easily frettified, (if that is not a word, it should be)

• to show your passwords - if you're using chrome - go to settings - passwords - click on the little eyball

There is a way to show paswords saved on your computer too, but for some reason I can't find it - figures. 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,808
    edited April 2019

if you are on Chrome it would have your password stored and you can view it

under your icon top right

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Phew, OK, looks like it was a glitch.

I just got a pile of password resetting emails.

I used the last one, it let me change my password.  And I was able to log in with this new password on my phone.

So, presumably, all is well again.

Thank you for the tips on Chrome.  I was using Chrome on my phone, but Firefox on my PC.

I use Chrome for some things, perhaps I should always use Daz on it too, heh.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

I only use firefox.

I don't save passwords on my computer, or any other device. Not safe.

• RobinsonRobinson Posts: 751
    nicstt said:

I only use firefox.

It's reasonably safe if you store them in a password manager like Keypass, and if you store the Keypass file on a Veracrypt volume and if you keep that Veracrypt volume on a couple of memory keys and you only plug one of them in when you need to use it. And yes, I have relatives that laugh at me for the inconvenience I regularly cause myself and all that typing...

• Robinson said:
    nicstt said:

I only use firefox.

It's reasonably safe if you store them in a password manager like Keypass, and if you store the Keypass file on a Veracrypt volume and if you keep that Veracrypt volume on a couple of memory keys and you only plug one of them in when you need to use it. And yes, I have relatives that laugh at me for the inconvenience I regularly cause myself and all that typing...

I use E-Wallet because when I was shopping for a password manager in 2005, that was the only one that would work with Android and iOS.  Within the last year or so, I've even gone so far as to do the syncing through dropbox.  It uses 256 bit encryption, so nobody can just "open" my file, even if they bust into my dropbox.  Keypass and Lastpass are also very good.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

Used Dashlane until the price got ridiculous, now I use LastPass...seems to do the job ;).

Laurie

• FauvistFauvist Posts: 2,038

Can you log into your account from multiple devices at the same time?

• Pack58Pack58 Posts: 750
    Fauvist said:

Can you log into your account from multiple devices at the same time?

Yep, it's only logging into DIM on more then one device that seems to be a no-go.

• launoklaunok Posts: 782
    edited April 2019

Not sure what happened yesterday.  I am more than 10 years a member here and when I logged back in, a menu popped up say my computer are listed as having malware and I need to go to support to say if this is an error, etc.  I was stunned!  This morning I run Malwarebytes (trial 14 days) which in fact shown few malwares which I cleaned.  Then I was thinking ot let Daz know that it's been removed.  But what a relieve that I could log in without any problems.  Maybe that was a false alarm, who knows.  My AVG (free) has never pick up malwares during scans.  What anti-virus is the best to use so that I rather get the full packages than using free versions?

Post edited by launok on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,808

I few on Facebook had themselves locked out of their accounts and thought it was because they were modded in the Genesis 8 baby thread

i thought that was unlikely

more like an unfortunate coincidence with a glitch

• SaulCsSaulCs Posts: 67
    launok said:

Not sure what happened yesterday.  I am more than 10 years a member here and when I logged back in, a menu popped up say my computer are listed as having malware and I need to go to support to say if this is an error, etc.  I was stunned!  This morning I run Malwarebytes (trial 14 days) which in fact shown few malwares which I cleaned.  Then I was thinking ot let Daz know that it's been removed.  But what a relieve that I could log in without any problems.  Maybe that was a false alarm, who knows.  My AVG (free) has never pick up malwares during scans.  What anti-virus is the best to use so that I rather get the full packages than using free versions?

Same happened with me. I tested my computer for malwares with avast premier and other anti-malware programs and nothing was found. I tried using several other computers, iphone and ipad to sign in at the website with the same resulted, so it was not linked to the machine. Finally i noticed that it was not related to my account too as typing anything as log in and password would return the same message. I was able to  connect with the DAZ program and with my DIM, just not the website. After a few hours i was able to log in again, so its seems like a bug.

Today i am unable to log in using DIM or connect with the program but i can log in at the website.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

likewise

Ah, rather relieved it was not just me :-)

• Downloads still broken.  Not high on my priority for Easter Sunday, but I assume somebody will be looking at it at some point ;)