CARRARA CHALLENGE 46: Get your Retro on

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,524
    wscottart said:

I got a feeling I will be visiting this threads for years to come, so many great tips. I wish that triplanar had been an original feature in Carrara from the beginning way back in Raydream. I

Hello wscottart, hopefully the thread will be added to over time, inspiration was wgdjohn's Thread "shader-creating-settings-for-carrara-q-a-come-one-come-all", as well as Dart's Information Manual.

Hope you have time for a render or 3 for the Challenge !

Mystarra said:

would david 3 be considered retro?

Hello Misty, D3,M3,V3,A3,S3,H3,F3 are all considered retro, as well as the Poser Dork & Posette, hope you have time for a Challenge render.

Vyusur said:
    Mystarra said:

I think, David 5 also could count as retro.

Hello Vyusur, David 5 was getting a bit of attention in one of the threads in the commons, he's still got life in him despite being overtaken by the new kids on the block. Hope you have time to join in the fun with a render !

Vyusur said:
    Mystarra said:

I think, David 5 also could count as retro.

David 5 was the end of the line crying

only thing sadder is poor Hiro watching Aiko hanging out with all the new rigged guys

Hello Wendy, still time for a David 8, have you got an retro animation lined up for us ?

edited April 2019

Sunday Too Far Away https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073765/

Edit - Found the suitcase in my Runtime !!!

Sunday Too Far Away 1.png
    2400 x 1800 - 4M
    Sunday Too Far Away 1 Carrara.png
    1599 x 933 - 359K
    Sunday Too Far Away 1b.png
    2400 x 1800 - 4M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234
    edited April 2019

Wow, sorry I haven't had a chance to comment yet - so much going on here!

@Bunyip02_Carrara - Thanks for hosting and great theme! I like the Shader manipulation requirement. I am terrible at texturing, well, mostly terrible at everything, lol, but I always neglect texturing and usually cop out with something simple. Another great resource of links and examples. Really digging the 'mini tutorials'  - thank you.  And the number of fantastic images you put together with such speed. Wow. I really want to give the Triplanar Mapping on a terrain a try. You have really outdone yourself.

@Diomede_Carrara - Thanks as usual for the tips and explanations. Still not sure how my entry will be categorized...retro or vintage, we will have to see. If all else fails I can make an attempt at a self portrait. I know for certain I am vintage. Great and clever way to make a rainbow! And I remember Sonny and Cher, barely. I seem to remember Donny and Marie Osmond a little clearer...Friggin' cool set your are building.

@Stezza_Carrara9 - Really like the colors in the snow scene and the 'Marine Boy' scene. Also the composition. I'm a sucker for bright colors in art, ha ha. Wish I had 1/1000th of your modeling skills. It always seems like: click, click click - here's a full blown perfect model in minutes! Or so I like to think.  laugh  You do fantastic work, love the Astro Boy

@MDO2010 - Glad you got your new computer up to speed. Thanks for the examples with the GMIC filters. I'm really liking the evolution of the 'I Dream Of Genie' image - looking great!

@Dartanbeck - So cool to see you here posting again. Sorry your machine took a big dump.  sad   The texture transformation of the robot thing is awesome! 

@Headwax_Carrara - First, welcome back and I hope your leg injury is not too severe and is healing well. Hope I haven't started a trend here. indecision  You have developed such a unique style over the past few years using Carrara it blows my mind. And Caustics as a light source?(!) Wow, never in a million years would I have thought of such a lighting concept, so cool. Your work has such great textural depth, like colored aquatints or something, hard to describe...which is good. Fantastic!

Hope I didn't miss anyone

Thanks all for the detailed explanations, so much to digest here.

I've started on an entry which will (hopefully) be a more complex scene. Post to follow.

Post edited by DesertDude on
    edited April 2019

So it took a while to think of a scene for this challenge. It started with with wanting to make a model of this classic Kit Cat Clock, but I didn't know what to do with it. The past few weeks I have been tinkering with a very (very) simple 'monster' figure and rigging and weight painting. It finally popped in my head to do a scene of two of these figures sitting listening to old time radio in their living room, like from the 40's or something. The UV map and subsequent texture of the clock are a bit wonky still, but after several failed attempts I kind of want to move on and build the other scene elements. Sorry, at this point no special texture tricks.  blush  I hope I can pull it off, lots to do, but I'm inspired by you all.

Just for fun here is the clock in motion:

Cheers!

kit_cat_render.jpg
    400 x 800 - 20K
    kit_cat_start.jpg
    1499 x 1029 - 112K
    kit_cat_final.jpg
    1485 x 1009 - 115K
    kit_cat_uv.jpg
    1478 x 1003 - 110K
    kit_cat_body_texture.jpg
    768 x 768 - 35K
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

DesertDude, that clock is awesome!

Your Carrara skills are better than you let on.  You modeled the clock, did the UV map, and assigned it textures.  That's three things right there that I haven't even learned yet.

Great work, Bunyip!  Very neat things in this thread.yes

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

+1 on DD's clock... 

I think you may be right there UB... 

thanks for your comments DD... I'm not as good as you say but we do have fun which is the main thing yes

So it took a while to think of a scene for this challenge. It started with with wanting to make a model of this classic Kit Cat Clock, but I didn't know what to do with it. The past few weeks I have been tinkering with a very (very) simple 'monster' figure and rigging and weight painting. It finally popped in my head to do a scene of two of these figures sitting listening to old time radio in their living room, like from the 40's or something. The UV map and subsequent texture of the clock are a bit wonky still, but after several failed attempts I kind of want to move on and build the other scene elements. Sorry, at this point no special texture tricks.  blush  I hope I can pull it off, lots to do, but I'm inspired by you all.

Cheers!

Desert Dude - excellent start !!!

Shader usage can be something simple, complicated shaders are for those who have experimented to get a result that is a little more advanced. Aim of including the shader usage in the Challenge was to look at the different ways shaders can be used.

Your Carrara skills are better than you let on.  You modeled the clock, did the UV map, and assigned it textures.  That's three things right there that I haven't even learned yet.

Great work, Bunyip!  Very neat things in this thread.yes

Thanks UB !

edited April 2019

Mini-Tutorials 11. - Camo Pattern

1. Double click the Shader required to open in Texture room
    2. Top Shader
    3. Scroll down to Complex Shaders
    4. Click on Multi Channel Mixer
    5. In the Source 1 - Color - Texture Map slot I want to use Mixer
    6. Scroll down the list to Operators
    7. Click on Mixer
    8. Leave Source 1 as the Texture Map, in Source 2
    9. Scroll down the list to Color
    10. Click in the Color Box
    11. In Color Picker select color
    12. In the Blender slot
    13. Scroll down to Natural Functions
    14. Click on Spots
    15. Adjust settings will require test renders to get it looking right
    16. In Source 2 I want Multi Channel, scroll down to Multi Channel
    17. In Source 1
    18. Copy Texture Map from (right click mouse button)
    19. In Source 2 Color
    20. Paste Texture Map (right click mouse button)
    21. In the Source 2 - Color - Texture Map slot I want to use Mixer
    22. Scroll down the list to Operators
    23. Click on Mixer
    24. In Source 2 - Source 2
    25. Scroll down the list to Color
    26. Click in the Color Box
    27. In Color Picker select color
    28. In the Blender slot
    29. Scroll down to Natural Functions
    30. Click on Spots
    31. Adjust settings - make sure they are different to Step 15
    32. In the Blender slot
    33. Scroll to Value (0-100%)
    34. Adjust Value - will require test renders to get it looking right

Option B
    In steps 14 & 30 click on Cellular - make sure they are different Scales or different Shapes
    Option C
    In steps 14 & 30 click on Marble - make sure they are different Global Scales & different Direction & increase Undulation/Vein Blending
    Option D - Experiment with a combination of Spot & Cellular or Spot & Marble or Cellular & Marble

Shaders Mini-Tutorials - Camo Pattern_1.png
    2260 x 1039 - 1M
    Shaders Mini-Tutorials - Camo Pattern_1b.png
    3088 x 944 - 913K
    Shaders Mini-Tutorials - Camo Pattern_1c.png
    3099 x 952 - 561K
    Shaders Mini-Tutorials - Camo Pattern_1d.png
    2314 x 976 - 602K
    Shaders Mini-Tutorials - Camo Pattern_1eB.png
    2261 x 2052 - 3M
    edited April 2019

Thank you for the nice words UnifiedBrain. Sorry, I guess continuous self deprication and self doubt are second nature to me. I only started tackling UV mapping two challenges ago. Which leads to a question I'll ask in a moment...

+1 on DD's clock... 

I think you may be right there UB... 

thanks for your comments DD... I'm not as good as you say but we do have fun which is the main thing yes

Thank you Stezza, I sometimes forget the main thing is to have fun here. smiley

Desert Dude - excellent start !!!

Shader usage can be something simple, complicated shaders are for those who have experimented to get a result that is a little more advanced. Aim of including the shader usage in the Challenge was to look at the different ways shaders can be used.

Thank you Bunyip02_Carrara. Tons of info to digest and get inspired by here already.

So my question is: Can Carrara export a sub-d UV map? Am I missing a check box somewhere?  I didn't even realize Carrara could export the map until recently, despite that option was staring me in the face. In the past I took a screen grab to bring into an external editor.  Doh!

Edit: never mind, I'm remembering wrong, or was dreaming it, even a sub-d model in the UV editor is not smooth. Sigh...

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    edited April 2019

Thanks for the nice comments, everyone.

Stezza, the converse look really good on Vyusur's little guy.  Great to see him active in Carrara.  Great modeling as always.

Bunyip, these shader tutorials are amazing.  My screengrab program closes drop down menus before doing the capture.  What do you use?  Excellent plane render, BTW.

Desertdude, the cat clock is triggering memories that I can't nail down.  Really cool.

One of my entries will focus on some retro toys from my youth.  Assembling some related assets.  If anyone is interested, I've put the modeling and uvmapping in my "No One Asked Me" thread. 

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4519666/#Comment_4519666

I'll post some experiments with the shaders here.  In the meantime, here is the base toy race track and car.  The car is intended to be low poly, but with enough mesh density to morph to other toy cars.

(edit - retro logo on side of car is from wb, I can't use that as an entry.  Will substitute something of my own or public domain by entry time)

aa50 uvmap of track if care about crossing of figue 8.JPG
    1907 x 947 - 226K
    bb01 car model and uvmap.JPG
    1728 x 895 - 168K
    test render car on track.jpg
    640 x 480 - 23K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

Cheers!

wow that's amazingly awesome :) to quote someone else - brilliant job and so verty Retro!!!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

Stezza, the converse look really good on Vyusur's little guy.  Great to see him active in Carrara.  Great modeling as always.

Bunyip, these shader tutorials are amazing.  My screengrab program closes drop down menus before doing the capture.  What do you use?  Excellent plane render, BTW.

Desertdude, the cat clock is triggering memories that I can't nail down.  Really cool.

One of my entries will focus on some retro toys from my youth.  Assembling some related assets.  If anyone is interested, I've put the modeling and uvmapping in my "No One Asked Me" thread. 

I'll post some experiments with the shaders here.  In the meantime, here is the base toy race track and car.  The car is intended to be low poly, but with enough mesh density to morph to other toy cars.

(edit - retro logo on side of car is from wb, I can't use that as an entry.  Will substitute something of my own or public domain by entry time)

that's just right Ted, you have captured the essence

PS Desertdude thanks for the compliments too

I told my wife about your cat clock.  She said, "Oh, you mean where the eyes and tail move?"  She knew exactly what it was.  When I showed it to her, her only critical remark was, "It would have been cooler if the eyes and tail moved in different directions."

YMMV :)

makes me wanna do a Felix the cat render!

@diomede_Carrara ahhh... HotWheels.... that's going back a few years... awesome work in UVing and modelling.. you have way more patience than I do.. yesyes

edited April 2019

Do The Sand Dance

The retro inspiration is Walk Like an Egyptian.  "Do the sand dance" is a phrase from the second line of the song.

The creation process was convoluted.  It started with some comments I read on skin shaders in the Commons.  People were expressing admiration for their favorite skin shaders.  I started to wonder if I could get more out of standard shaders by using better lighting techniques in Carrara.  After a week or two, I felt like I was getting good results with V4 and standard Lana Elite shaders.  You be the judge, as I took the result and applied it to the Egyptian theme above. 

Since I didn't manipulate shaders very much in the foreground figure (other than the necklace and bikini), I needed to make a background that used more shader manipulation.  I started with 3 primitave cubes to simulate clay blocks.  To get a clay look, I added Nobiax's shader 12, which is a brushed metal panel, doubled the Specular map into the bump channel, and raised the bump to 250.  To get the lines a little wavier, I added a touch of Brushify from GMIC.

All seven ladies in the background are V1, with all the color channel shaders changed to the Nobiax shader.  The idea was to give the illusion of a bias relief, with the figures looking like carved statues in the clay.  I could have sold the illusion more by doing postwork, but it was close enough for my tastes.  The foreground is supposed to be the focus anyway. :)

The background was rendered separately, and reinserted into a backdrop.  The final render with V4 and the record LP at 3000 x 1885 took about two minutes. Pretty zippy.  No postwork.

The weirdest thing about the whole process, is that I had never even heard the song until a few months ago!  (Misty posted a video)  I know that Diomede used it to title one of his renders in Challenge 31, but I didn't understand his reference.  What was I doing in 1987 when this song was #1?  The answer to that will take too long.  Hey, better late than never.  I really like the song, and I got to use several Egyptian hair and clothing products which were accumulating on the computer, and I learned about Egyptian headdresses.  Happy camper.

Do The Sand Dance.png
    1600 x 1006 - 2M
    Do the Sand Dance cube shader.JPG
    1445 x 734 - 150K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

nice work @UnifiedBrain ( as expected ) very clever use of your items... all hail V1

Your Next render should be  all the cops
    They're hanging out in the donut shop

yes

Thanks. Print Screen I am using is the default one with Win 10

Great start on the retro toys, Matchbox cars & vehicles and Dinky vehicles - memories..... PS your modelling workflow in the other thread was an excellent read as well

makes me wanna do a Felix the cat render!

@diomede_Carrara ahhh... HotWheels.... that's going back a few years... awesome work in UVing and modelling.. you have way more patience than I do.. yesyes

Felix the Cat, the Wonderful wonderful Cat....

Do The Sand Dance

The retro inspiration is Walk Like an Egyptian.  "Do the sand dance" is a phrase from the second line of the song.

The creation process was convoluted.  It started with some comments I read on skin shaders in the Commons.  People were expressing admiration for their favorite skin shaders.  I started to wonder if I could get more out of standard shaders by using better lighting techniques in Carrara.  After a week or two, I felt like I was getting good results with V4 and standard Lana Elite shaders.  You be the judge, as I took the result and applied it to the Egyptian theme above. 

Since I didn't manipulate shaders very much in the foreground figure (other than the necklace and bikini), I needed to make a background that used more shader manipulation.  I started with 3 primitave cubes to simulate clay blocks.  To get a clay look, I added Nobiax's shader 12, which is a brushed metal panel, doubled the Specular map into the bump channel, and raised the bump to 250.  To get the lines a little wavier, I added a touch of Brushify from GMIC.

All seven ladies in the background are V1, with all the color channel shaders changed to the Nobiax shader.  The idea was to give the illusion of a bias relief, with the figures looking like carved statues in the clay.  I could have sold the illusion more by doing postwork, but it was close enough for my tastes.  The foreground is supposed to be the focus anyway. :)

The background was rendered separately, and reinserted into a backdrop.  The final render with V4 and the record LP at 3000 x 1885 took about two minutes. Pretty zippy.  No postwork.

The weirdest thing about the whole process, is that I had never even heard the song until a few months ago!  (Misty posted a video)  I know that Diomede used it to title one of his renders in Challenge 31, but I didn't understand his reference.  What was I doing in 1987 when this song was #1?  The answer to that will take too long.  Hey, better late than never.  I really like the song, and I got to use several Egyptian hair and clothing products which were accumulating on the computer, and I learned about Egyptian headdresses.  Happy camper.

Looking great UB !!!

edited April 2019

Mini-Tutorials 12. - Skin Shaders Genesis 8 Part -1

Needs Misty's Genesis 8 presets - https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/carrara-compatible-character-preset-for-genesis-8-male/77745
                                    - https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/carrara-compatible-character-preset-for-genesis-8-female/77504&ca

1. After loading the G8 preset in Carrara, locate a 3Delight/Iray texture in your browser
    2. Load texture options
    3. An error message will come up
    4. In DAZ Studio, load the preset
    5. Apply the texture options
    6. Click on File
    7. Click on Save As
    8. Click on Material(s) Preset... Save as something that identifies what the Material is for
    9. Locate your Material Preset
    10. I am loading a 3Delight Material Preset
    11. Note that it is all black in your screen
    12. Click on Actor and open your Shading tab to see what's inside
    13. Check of all Shaders indicates all are black
    14. Double click on your Face shader to see what is going on
    15. No texture map in the Color slot or in any other slots

Shaders Mini-Tutorials - G8M skin 1.png
    2596 x 1042 - 484K
    Shaders Mini-Tutorials - G8M skin 1b.png
    2427 x 1037 - 601K
    Shaders Mini-Tutorials - G8M skin 1c.png
    2701 x 1039 - 557K
    Shaders Mini-Tutorials - G8M skin 1d.png
    2749 x 1042 - 623K
    edited April 2019

Mini-Tutorials 12. - Skin Shaders Genesis 8 Part -2

16. I now load the Iray Material Preset
    17. Figure appears textured in screen - do a test render
    18. Click on Actor and open your Shading tab to see what's inside
    19. Most of the shaders now have textures
    20. Zoom in on the head in the scrren and do a test render - eyes are black
    21. Check the shaders that are still black
    22. In your browser click on the Shaders, then Base Shaders
    23. Locate your Transperancy shader
    24. Drag and drop on the EyeMoisture & Cornea shaders in the Shading tab
    25. Do a test render to check the eyes

Shaders Mini-Tutorials - G8M skin 1e.png
    2756 x 1037 - 673K
    Shaders Mini-Tutorials - G8M skin 1f.png
    2740 x 1044 - 1M
    Shaders Mini-Tutorials - G8M skin 1g.png
    2585 x 1048 - 644K
    Shaders Mini-Tutorials - G8M skin 1h.png
    2521 x 1037 - 1015K
    edited April 2019

Mini-Tutorials 12. - Skin Shaders Genesis 8 Part -3

26. Go up to Edit
    27. Click on Remove Unused Masters
    28. Click on Consolidate Duplicate Shaders
    29. Click on Remove Unused Shaders
    30. In the Shaders tab double click on transperancy1
    31. In the Intensity slot adjust the setting
    32. In the Refraction slot
    33. Click on Material
    34. Click on Water
    35. In the Shaders tab click on Ears 1 (or corresponding Face shader)
    36. Locate where the texture maps are located, in the Color slot if you hover your mouse cursor over the texture title it will come up with the location outlined in a yellow box
    37. In the Bump slot, scroll down to Texture Map
    38. Load the corresponding Bump texture map
    39. In the Highlight slot, scroll down to Texture Map
    40. Load the corresponding texture file, look for "name of file 'S'.jpg
    41. In the Shininess slot
    42. Adjust setting

Shaders Mini-Tutorials - G8M skin 1i.png
    2508 x 1039 - 687K
    Shaders Mini-Tutorials - G8M skin 1j.png
    2512 x 1042 - 526K
    Shaders Mini-Tutorials - G8M skin 1k.png
    2508 x 1033 - 529K
    Shaders Mini-Tutorials - G8M skin 1l.png
    2508 x 1037 - 471K
    edited April 2019

Mini-Tutorials 12. - Skin Shaders Genesis 8 Part -4

43. In the Subsurface Scattering slot
    44. Tick Enable Subsurface Scattering
    45. Adjust settings, in color box I used a pink to simulate blood, and modified Translucency and Intensity
    46. In the Shaders tab, double click on the rest of the body shaders except for eye & mouth then repeat steps 37 to 45. Note you can copy/paste (right mouse button the Shininess and SubSurface Scattering settings to the other shaders
    47. Do a test render, in this case the Shininess is a little high so I went back and adjusted the Shininess settings again
    48. If you are happy with the result and want to keep your shader adjustments, In the Shading tab, drag & drop the Multi-Colored ball over to where you save your shaders in the Browser-Shaders tab
    49. Save it a name that corresponds to the Material Preset that you opened
    50. Click OK to save

Shaders Mini-Tutorials - G8M skin 1m.png
    2508 x 1042 - 485K
    Shaders Mini-Tutorials - G8M skin 1n.png
    2267 x 1037 - 517K
    Shaders Mini-Tutorials - G8M skin 1o.png
    2707 x 1042 - 511K
    Shaders Mini-Tutorials - G8M skin 1p.png
    2668 x 1037 - 483K
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited April 2019

I guess, it could qualify as retro.

Doc 5.png
    1300 x 1300 - 2M
    Post edited by Vyusur on
    Vyusur said:

Retro enough for me (I think our countries rules & regulations on safety would not allow those types of rides anymore), looking forward to the finished render !

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    edited April 2019
    Vyusur said:

That is fantastic.  Dont worry about the safety concerns.  I am visiting family in Texas, and a version of these rides can be rented for parties.  Just add a seat belt.

http://www.amanzipartyrentals.com/intermediate-carnival-swing-ride-rentals

Post edited by Diomede on