New Users Contest *October 2013* ►►► WIP THREAD ◄◄◄

Comments

• TeofaTeofa Posts: 823
    edited October 2013

I don't know if I'd put the shader on the engine things, but yes, overall it decreased the "plastic" look of the plane. I think you are headed the right way though, myself.

Question..is the round part of the engine thing on the front a separate surface? a screeny kinda shader could put a lot of interest there, like in the small circle thing or the long triangle things.

not as much as this but maybe something.busy for the engine thing.

That set is just stunning. Like flying over the Canadian Rockies.

index.jpg
    225 x 225 - 10K
    Post edited by Teofa on
  • carioca91carioca91 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Not quite sure if this is what the contest called for, but here is a newly captured Orion Slave Girl....

OSG_Small_bright.jpg
    800 x 539 - 249K
    edited December 1969

More shaders! they are everywhere!. Honestly, surfing the net there are a jillion free texture images. I found an alligator texture today and just had to try it.

alligator.png
    530 x 700 - 441K
    edited October 2013

carioca91 said:
    Not quite sure if this is what the contest called for, but here is a newly captured Orion Slave Girl....

If you made shader presets, it counts. Subject is up to you :) (within the TOS)

It looks like you made the shade for your skin and hair. The only comment I would make is kinda, well humans are pink but not Pinkpink I think your girl would look better less saturated and more muted, like human "pink" is :) Maybe just tweak the color saturation back just a little.

Post edited by Teofa on
    edited December 1969

And if you are scratching your heads wondering what to do with shaders, well, build a statue of yourself :)

Shader, primitive cone, genesis, Greek gown from Wilmap Share CG

statue.png
    530 x 700 - 160K
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

standfast said:
    And if you are scratching your heads wondering what to do with shaders, well, build a statue of yourself :)

Shader, primitive cone, genesis, Greek gown from Wilmap Share CG

standfast, I'm just enjoying watching you experiment and share your work. :) Seems like you're learning a lot! If there is anything specific you have questions about, feel free to ask.
    edited December 1969

Well, the latest and I think last iteration of "Tourist" If I continue to mess with it, Ill wreck it. I will look at in a week.

I downloaded Wilmaps 60s suits today..used some shaders messing around and boom, just had to make a propaganda poster.. the render was put on a plane and incorporated into the scene.

TouristP.png
    667 x 800 - 614K
  • Mcjam24Mcjam24 Posts: 115
    edited December 1969

You know, I really am liking this month's contest, and personally I'm liking pushing myself to play with the shader mixer, and since we are approaching Halloween...its been a challenge trying to get her skin to look the way I want using only the textures available in the shader mixer but this is pretty darn close, and I had to bring in my orange because I'm stubborn that way.... :-)

OctoberContest2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 369K
    edited December 1969

mcjam24 said:
    You know, I really am liking this month's contest, and personally I'm liking pushing myself to play with the shader mixer, and since we are approaching Halloween...its been a challenge trying to get her skin to look the way I want using only the textures available in the shader mixer but this is pretty darn close, and I had to bring in my orange because I'm stubborn that way.... :-)

It is a lovely orange :)

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,818
    edited December 1969

Finally started to actually work on a scene, which ended up being born in my mind after listening to a conversation between a couple of friends of mine. In short it was about all the boundaries we are letting ourselves be ruled by, even in our love life.

As I picked up the undead fiend in the halloween sale I decided to just go with this. It still doesn't has a actual background or such, but it's a wip :) Both shirts, the skirt and shoes are using shaders I made. Only the jeans and the belt does not :)

I do have a question though, is it any way to actually make something look like velvet, without having to deal with shader mixer? As I still don't manage to get friendly with that thing :)

No boundaries (and please do correct me if this is spelled wrong, I have a nagging feeling it might be *laughs* )

noboundaries.png
    848 x 1200 - 773K
  • TobiasGTobiasG Posts: 447
    edited December 1969

As I said before I really do not know anything about planes. Have been looking up a lot of pictures as references but still not sure I have the look right.

Here is my latest version.

I think this is pretty cool. The color palette works well, the major lines loop back the center of the piece, and the lighting is plausible.

edited December 1969

This is a test for a brushed metal texture. I made the texture myself, ditto the bump map with the scratches. Glossiness pp. are set to look like metal. The Bump Map needs work so it tiles better. I'm thinking about adding a Displacement map with engraved decorations.

BrushedMetal_Test1.jpg
    600 x 800 - 188K
    edited December 1969

With Displacement Test.

Brsushed_Test2.jpg
    600 x 800 - 242K
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

Thanks TobiasG. I like your brushed metal texture and the displacement logo.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with them. :-)

edited December 1969

Carola O said:
    Finally started to actually work on a scene, which ended up being born in my mind after listening to a conversation between a couple of friends of mine. In short it was about all the boundaries we are letting ourselves be ruled by, even in our love life.

As I picked up the undead fiend in the halloween sale I decided to just go with this. It still doesn't has a actual background or such, but it's a wip :) Both shirts, the skirt and shoes are using shaders I made. Only the jeans and the belt does not :)

I do have a question though, is it any way to actually make something look like velvet, without having to deal with shader mixer? As I still don't manage to get friendly with that thing :)

No boundaries (and please do correct me if this is spelled wrong, I have a nagging feeling it might be *laughs* )

It might have something to do with the velvet channel. It is not something I have played with yet.

edited December 1969

mcjam24 said:

Standfast is right. It is a lovely orange.

edited December 1969

standfast said:
    Well, the latest and I think last iteration of "Tourist" If I continue to mess with it, Ill wreck it. I will look at in a week.

I downloaded Wilmaps 60s suits today..used some shaders messing around and boom, just had to make a propaganda poster.. the render was put on a plane and incorporated into the scene.

Great poster.

edited December 1969

Carola O said:

It might have something to do with the velvet channel. It is not something I have played with yet.

Hm.. Can't even find a velvet channel in the surface tab :/

edited December 1969

Neither can I. :red:

I have seen it before but it does not show up when I load a shader I have created. Not sure how or when it shows up.

Hopefully someone who knows more about it will help us out.

• keshkesh Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Neither can I. :red:

I have seen it before but it does not show up when I load a shader I have created. Not sure how or when it shows up.

Hopefully someone who knows more about it will help us out.

"Velvet" shader is part of Age of Armour subsurfaces shaders base - if you assign to an object or surface that preset, then you can also tweak the velvet shader parameters (this base shader is free with daz 4.6 and is located under my library-shader presets-age of armour-subsurface)

edited December 1969

hmm.. so in other words. TO be able to make something look like velvet. I need to put the subsurface thing on a primitive, than do the other things i want to it (eventual images, displacements, bump, glossiness etc) and tweak the velvet thing?

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,300
    edited December 1969

Uber surface also has a velvet setting to it. It helps to use a slight bump map.

edited December 1969

Yes, the DS Default Shader doesn't have a velvet setting (which is not to say that you can't do velvet-like effects with it: see here). Better to convert to either UberSurface or the AoA Subsurface Shader. My UberSurface tutorial (part 2) has some information on how to convert, and some basics on using the Velvet settings in UberSurface.

edited December 1969

TobiasG said:
    This is a test for a brushed metal texture. I made the texture myself, ditto the bump map with the scratches. Glossiness pp. are set to look like metal. The Bump Map needs work so it tiles better. I'm thinking about adding a Displacement map with engraved decorations.

Looking good. You may want to think about enabling anisotropic specular (if you're using UberSurface).
    edited October 2013

Carola O said:
    hmm.. so in other words. TO be able to make something look like velvet. I need to put the subsurface thing on a primitive, than do the other things i want to it (eventual images, displacements, bump, glossiness etc) and tweak the velvet thing?

I can get it to look fine on a sphere, but, applying it to conforming clothing destroys the fit, poke through all over. I am sure it is all of the displacement involved.

hard to fix fit and pokethrough on something you can't see till the render. I am sure there is much more involved to using it than making the basic shader.

and now again, the contest spirals off into tech wizardry land. sigh.

Also, having read through AoA's information several times, it seems to me, "velvet", in the context of shading human skin, has very little to do with velvet the fabric. I really do not think the tool is designed to replicate fabric texture, even if it can be made to. From what I see, the AoA shader has a lot more to do with skin portraiture and less with other surfaces.

But whatever. I don't want fur. I want velvet, and I think it can be done with default shaders. Hunt Caps, lapels, pockets are all velvet irl and it is not fur. I am happy with this experiment, and the fact that I can't see individual fibers does not matter, since I am not doing Hunt Cap portraiture.

I put it on a black background to over-emphasize the soft fiber "aura" I was trying for.

velvet.png
    530 x 700 - 164K
    velvet.png
    530 x 700 - 194K
    Post edited by Teofa on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Simple fast question. I find myself in a yo-yo world with my nights, my days and my sleep all a big mess. This is due to my health and some stupidity on my part from trying to do to much on some days and not resting enough on others. I'm here when I am and that's all I can do until things sort themselves out again. Now for the question...

How many users here still need help with creating multi layered shaders in just the DAZ Studio Surfaces Pane? No need of the Shader mIxer.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Simple fast question. I find myself in a yo-yo world with my nights, my days and my sleep all a big mess. This is due to my health and some stupidity on my part from trying to do to much on some days and not resting enough on others. I'm here when I am and that's all I can do until things sort themselves out again. Now for the question...

How many users here still need help with creating multi layered shaders in just the DAZ Studio Surfaces Pane? No need of the Shader mIxer.

I'm fine. Health comes first ... need to sleep at least 4 hours straight to get the right sleep patterns ... just fill the cat's dish first ;-)

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

I think a lot have grasped the concept, but IMO need to stick with it rather than being pushed to mixers and subsurface. I think most are to that experimental stage of discovering more with basic DAZ, but not needing pushed into other shader devices. More could be learned by exploration of basic shaders,which then could be applied to later use of more advanced.

But that is me, you know how opinionated I am. :)

Rest. Sleep debt stinks. I am sure we all will persevere :)

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm just awake right now and could finish the TUT in a few if I tried. But you both, and others, seem beyond the need so I was checking in with those that are not so far advanced yet. I'll give it a bit more time and check back later, as in maybe another day even.

edited December 1969

If with multi layered you meant like what I did with my ferret face, the rose and celtic pattern, I don't think I need help with that (naturally, I am sure there is more to learn that just the small experiements I've done so far regarding that) *smiles* If you meant something else entirely, I admit I have no clue *more smiles*

However, your health comes first, just because you are awake doesn't mean that you should over work yourself *halfserious glare* So don't rush to finish off that tutorial if you don't want or feel for it. Just take it easy *hugs*