How many here are using the newer RTX GPUs?

Since I am getting an RTX 2080 ti installed as we speak, I wondered what to expect? any issues? I know they only work with the beta DS version and Iray..

Any gamers in the group have any concerns? Issues? happy incidents?

Going from  GTX 970 with 4 gig of DDR to this is kind of exciting for me. Hopefully it won't let me down. I have scenes set up that I could never render before not to mention a few newer games on my wishlist at steam I am dying to check out.

Comments

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255
    Do you already have 32+GB of system RAM? Don't forget you'll need that much to fully utilize the 11GB 2080ti.
  • ParadigmParadigm Posts: 421

I went from a 970 to a 2080TI STRIX and I love it. Gotta use 4.11 but everyone should be on 4.11 imo even if it is a beta. Stable as a rock as far as I've seen.

Keep the drivers up to date and you won't have any issues. Mine rips on render and can play BF5 at 60+ FPS at 4k res (it can't handle RTX @ 60 FPS 4k, though). The fans don't move until you go over 40-50 C, so don't freak out if they're not spinning. Under load temp I get around 70C but I have a LOT of airflow so YMMV.

I'm not sure if having 32GB of RAM matters but I can't say it doesn't since I have 32GB lol.

They're overpriced but they are absolutely the best consumer card on the market.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

I've been playing with Octane; 20$ a month is a better investment that a $1000 or more to get the performance I would like. Then again, Im not a fan of Iray.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518
    nicstt said:

I've been playing with Octane; 20$ a month is a better investment that a $1000 or more to get the performance I would like. Then again, Im not a fan of Iray.

I hear ya, but on principle I loathe subscription based anything and tried to stay away even though I would love to use Octane..

Paradigm said:

I went from a 970 to a 2080TI STRIX and I love it. Gotta use 4.11 but everyone should be on 4.11 imo even if it is a beta. Stable as a rock as far as I've seen.

Keep the drivers up to date and you won't have any issues. Mine rips on render and can play BF5 at 60+ FPS at 4k res (it can't handle RTX @ 60 FPS 4k, though). The fans don't move until you go over 40-50 C, so don't freak out if they're not spinning. Under load temp I get around 70C but I have a LOT of airflow so YMMV.

I'm not sure if having 32GB of RAM matters but I can't say it doesn't since I have 32GB lol.

They're overpriced but they are absolutely the best consumer card on the market.

Awesome, thanks for the input. Mine was a present from the GF since she won a bit of money in vegas recently, LOL

ebergerly said:
    Do you already have 32+GB of system RAM? Don't forget you'll need that much to fully utilize the 11GB 2080ti.

Yep, part of the upgrade also. Appreciate the info though.

• VisuimagVisuimag Posts: 547
    edited April 2019
    Paradigm said:

Eh, I've had some problems with it and they keep me on 4.10 Pro. Clothes poking through using the Push tool (where it doesn't on 4.10) and mouse movement is fickle depending on the angle (turning, specifically ~ that is, camera rotation from the widget is significantly faster from one side, also not an issue in 4.10). I love that rendering starts up much quicker, but the two issues I mentioned (the biggest I've encountered) are deal breakers and definitely keep me from totally moving on. 

Post edited by Visuimag on
  • xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,639

Congratulations! I'm very happy for you. Please keep us updated with tales of your experience. I will reap vicarious pleasure until my day comes.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    edited April 2019
    nicstt said:

I hear ya, but on principle I loathe subscription based anything and tried to stay away even though I would love to use Octane..

...I normally am not very fond of subscription software either. However, Octane is an exception as I don't have the 600$ to plop down on the core engine and plugin up front. To handle the scenes I create, Out of Core rendering is far more economically efficient than dropping 2,500$ on a Titan RTX or spending tonnes of time "optimising" all the textures in a very busy and detailed scene.

Iray in Daz is hamstrung compared to what the standalone is capable of, just like 3DL was.  Wasn't there also something I read a while back as well where a certain function of the RTX cards (that would help with rendering speed) was not going to be available for Iray rendering (can't remember what that was, I'd have to research earlier threads which with this lousy forums search engine we have, is a monumental task)?

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • JVRendererJVRenderer Posts: 661

I'm using both the GTX1080ti and the RTX2080ti with DS4.11

edited April 2019
    Paradigm said:

It can matter if you intend to use as much of your GPU VRAM as possible. I just threw a bunch of scenes into Studio and hit Render, and my system RAM filled to over 36GB of my installed 64GB, and then it transferred that scene to the GPU VRAM and it went up to 10.1GB out of 11GB total on the 1080ti, and it rendered without dropping to CPU.

Personally, it takes at least 3 of my biggest scenes all smooged together to get there (which I never do), so VRAM isn't really an issue for me. But for those who like to squeeze every GB of VRAM out, keep in mind that you'll need a ton of system RAM to accomodate it.  

Post edited by ebergerly on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    nicstt said:

Paradigm said:

Awesome, thanks for the input. Mine was a present from the GF since she won a bit of money in vegas recently, LOL

ebergerly said:

Yep, part of the upgrade also. Appreciate the info though.

Well yeh, I'm not a fan either; I'll pay a couple of months to see if I like it, and if so, purchase it.

ebergerly said:
    Paradigm said:

It can matter if you intend to use as much of your GPU VRAM as possible. I just threw a bunch of scenes into Studio and hit Render, and my system RAM filled to over 36GB of my installed 64GB, and then it transferred that scene to the GPU VRAM and it went up to 10.1GB out of 11GB total on the 1080ti, and it rendered without dropping to CPU.

Personally, it takes at least 3 of my biggest scenes all smooged together to get there (which I never do), so VRAM isn't really an issue for me. But for those who like to squeeze every GB of VRAM out, keep in mind that you'll need a ton of system RAM to accomodate it.  

I have 64GB and have used up to about 50GB of it; I multitask, including having multiple copies of Studio running.

...my main rendering system has 24 GB (old P6-T MB) and a 12 GB Titan X (Maxwell).  My scene assembly system has 32 GB (LGA 1155 MB) and a 4 GB 750-Ti (Maxwell).

• bluejauntebluejaunte Posts: 1,859
    ebergerly said:
    Paradigm said:

Isn't that what virtual memory is for? If you run out of RAM for some reason just increase that.

...yes, but it is even s-l-o-w-e-r.  I often had scenes dumping to virtual memory when my rendering system only had 12 GB. This is because Iray is integrated into the Daz programme and thus requires it and and scene file to remain open during rendering which takes up system memory as well.  It also puts more stress on the HDD as well.

With old Reality/Lux I could shut down both the scene and Daz programme once the scene was submitted to the render engine I could also pause LuxRender. close it, come back later, and restart it where it left off. 

Isn't that what virtual memory is for? If you run out of RAM for some reason just increase that.

You're certainly free to rely on virtual memory, just be ready to stare at an hourglass for a very very long time while it has to swap your RAM out to the hard drive laugh

ebergerly said:

You're certainly free to rely on virtual memory, just be ready to stare at an hourglass for a very very long time while it has to swap your RAM out to the hard drive laugh

I'm assuming this happens only once at the beginning of the render though?

Try it sometime laugh

Merge a bunch of scenes, hit Render, and see what happens. 

ebergerly said:

Try it sometime laugh

Merge a bunch of scenes, hit Render, and see what happens. 

What happens is the scene will be complex and the render time will be orders of magnitude higher than the time it took to load into VRAM, even if it had to swap out to disk? Or maybe it wouldn't fit into the 11GB in the first place? laugh

Not advocating less than 32GB RAM of course. I have that and sometimes could use more. Not because of rendering in Iray though.

Probably it will try to initially load the scene into RAM, then as soon as it exceeds the RAM capacity it will start swapping out to disk, and that will lock up your computer as the hard drive is at 100% utilization, and it will probably just sit there and never get to the point where it can transfer to the GPU and start rendering. 

ebergerly said:

...that's sort of what I mentioned.  With 32 GB, the risk of dumping to Virtual Memory on the HDD is much lower than what I experienced with only 12 (actually 11 after windows and system utilities) during CPU rendering. This is part of why my older system with the Titan-X  has been dedicated primarily to rendering and the second one to scene assembly, modelling, and other applications.

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,370
    edited April 2019

kyoto kid said:

...I normally am not very fond of subscription software either. However, Octane is an exception as I don't have the 600$ to plop down on the core engine and plugin up front. To handle the scenes I create, Out of Core rendering is far more economically efficient than dropping 2,500$ on a Titan RTX or spending tonnes of time "optimising" all the textures in a very busy and detailed scene.

Iray in Daz is hamstrung compared to what the standalone is capable of, just like 3DL was.  Wasn't there also something I read a while back as well where a certain function of the RTX cards (that would help with rendering speed) was not going to be available for Iray rendering (can't remember what that was, I'd have to research earlier threads which with this lousy forums search engine we have, is a monumental task)?

I wish I could be a fan of Octane. I dumped $600 on the renderer 2+ years ago. But their Daz support is terrible and it takes forever to get the shaders (especially the more complex ones) to behave. IMO, obviously.

Post edited by Leonides02 on
  • DA KrossDA Kross Posts: 70
    edited April 2019

I got a 2080 two months ago. It only works in the daz beta but is super fast at rendering. I love gaming with it too. Zero issues with it. It's very quiet, even at full load and never gets above 66C. My 980 ti topped out at 84C and sounded like a jet engine at full load.

Post edited by DA Kross on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518
    D-A Kross said:

I got a 2080 two months ago. I was surprised it did not work in the non-beta daz but it works well in beta-daz. I love gaming with it too. Zero issues so far.

Nice, thanks for the input!

I just realised something, you need DIM to d/l and install the Beta, correct? (I never use DIM)

kyoto kid said:

I wish I could be a fan of Octane. I dumped $600 on the renderer 2+ years ago. But their Daz support is terrible and it takes forever to get the shaders (especially the more complex ones) to behave. IMO, obviously.

...I'd just like a render engine that can handle big involved scenes without needing a boatload of VRAM (which is only available in the overpriced RTX Titan and Quadro series).

Long render times is why I dumped Reality/Lux (the "speed boost" came at a noticeable reduction in final render quality and the Reality4 plugin was like a a nest of bugs, a patch would fix one, and another or two would show up).

I have the AweShader for 3DL and now that I am getting back into production will be working with that as well and comparing it to Iray.  I felt I was very close to getting realistic quality with 3DL before the HDD meltdown, rendering fairly involved scenes with different effects in well under a half hour..

• DA KrossDA Kross Posts: 70
    D-A Kross said:

I got a 2080 two months ago. I was surprised it did not work in the non-beta daz but it works well in beta-daz. I love gaming with it too. Zero issues so far.

Nice, thanks for the input!

I just realised something, you need DIM to d/l and install the Beta, correct? (I never use DIM)

I downloaded it with DIM out of habit. I don't know if its needed or not. Sorry.

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,437
    ebergerly said:

I just threw a bunch of scenes into Studio and hit Render, and my system RAM filled to over 36GB of my installed 64GB, and then it transferred that scene to the GPU VRAM and it went up to 10.1GB out of 11GB total on the 1080ti, and it rendered without dropping to CPU.

In my tests with the standard daz content provided in the G1-G8 packages it always stays below 2x. That is, ram = 2x vram works fine for me. I just resize the textures to a more "practical" size since I really don't need 4Ks. So using the scene optimizer or just some minimal manual optimization you can save on ram and also get faster renderings. That really takes just some minutes using the scene optimizer or batch gfx apps such as xnView.

So honestly .. I don't get where all these ram needs come from.

• Since I am getting an RTX 2080 ti installed as we speak, I wondered what to expect? any issues? I know they only work with the beta DS version and Iray..

Any gamers in the group have any concerns? Issues? happy incidents?

Going from  GTX 970 with 4 gig of DDR to this is kind of exciting for me. Hopefully it won't let me down. I have scenes set up that I could never render before not to mention a few newer games on my wishlist at steam I am dying to check out.

Can't say I was impressed with the amount of coilwhine in games I get with mine.. :/

But under rendering loads, it's not apparent, so it's not really a big problem.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,714
    ebergerly said:

Not sure, but I'se seen it swap for over an hour sometimes with relatively small scenes (I currently only have 8 GB RAM), which might take 15 minutes to render perhaps (GTX 1070). And if the max size of the swap file is fixed it takes the machine down if it exceeds the amount (poor Windows design IMO, so is the inability to cancel the process if it swaps for a long time; in general Windows is terrible at handling low RAM resources).

• retiretomauiretiretomaui Posts: 382
    edited April 2019

Delete.

Post edited by retiretomaui on
  • outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679
    Are the people experiencing virtual RAM swaps using SSDs for the page files? That makes page filing much faster. Obviously not a replacement for real RAM, but waaaaaaay better than using a spinning hard disc as a paging file. And since you can get 250gb SSDs for $30 or less these days, its a super easy upgrade to make.

...while faster than mechanical drives,  SSDs do degrade in performance from multiple read/write operations and using VM for rendering does this constantly during the process.  This is why on an HDD it is so slow as data for the render process is written and then read back numerous times until rendering is finished.