New Users Contest *October 2013* ►►► WIP THREAD ◄◄◄

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited October 2013

Just to represent Carrara, and because Carrara 8.5 was just released, I figured I'd post this excellent tutorial by Holly Wetcircuit. It uses Carrara's procedural shader system to create a photoreal sun using no image maps or UVs. It's in comic book format and is super easy to follow, and also explains some tips for building complex shaders, and concepts about using some of the more advanced features:

http://www.3d.wetcircuit.com/tutorials/photoreal-sun/

And an image I made using the tutorial (no postwork):

ringed-planet-no-post.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    Post edited by evilproducer on
  • DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,814
    edited December 1969

Just to represent Carrara, and because Carrara 8.5 was just released, I figured I'd post this excellent tutorial by Holly Wetcircuit. It uses Carrara's procedural shader system to create a photoreal sun using no image maps or UVs. It's in comic book format and is super easy to follow, and also explains some tips for building complex shaders, and concepts about using some of the more advanced features:

http://www.3d.wetcircuit.com/tutorials/photoreal-sun/

And an image I made using the tutorial (no postwork):

Thanks so much for sharing the link to the tutorial with everyone! :)

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited October 2013

Jaderail; Thanks for the instructions here is my first experiment....Trish p.s. now after I have gone wild and saved a bunch of these shaders I made how do I get rid of them.......

pp.jpg
    543 x 447 - 92K
    Post edited by Trish on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited October 2013

DS is easy to remove from now. Right click any file and Delete will remove that one file fully. Be very careful with that one for bought items, I only use it for things I saved.

P.S. The Carola O jumped the Gun and did a Semi advanced Shader without my help. Love that.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • TeofaTeofa Posts: 823
    edited October 2013

Rough draft. Almost everything has a shader preset I have made. Since we are learning about shaders I used one of the demo shader sets included with my DAZ, I tweaked the brick color, but have a long way to go, then I'll save it as a mixer preset, I think. I'm not really sure what the thing is.

I wanted to get out of DnD realm so I tried a Farscape like mixed genre.

A little tip I found useful, if your imaging program can make seamless tile images, do it. It makes the shaders much more versatile. (if you are using jpgs for maps)

The scene I am using is found in My Library, DAZ formats, Shader Mixer scenes, volume smoke sample. At first it seems daunting, but if you expand the shade settings on the object you will find familiar areas from the basic shader, diffuse, bump, etc. I've played with these and saved a shader mixer scene. I did throw out the volumetric smoke camera.. wasn't doing anything for me but scaling up render time. Fooling with that is for a different day :)

Title is "Tourists!"

tourist.png
    530 x 700 - 626K
    Post edited by Teofa on
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

spider58 said:
    Dystopian Console Station, rendered in DAZ4.6, postwork to get the bloom from the led's and screens.

Used the Polygon Group Editor Tool to make a lot of new surfaces, I came accross a tutorial from Carnite (i think) showing how to do it. Wanted to post a link to the tutorial but cant find it again (Didn't bookmark it :shut:). So if someone knows where it is please post a link and I will have another look for it.

Nice work :)

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

standfast said:
    Rough draft. Almost everything has a shader preset I have made. Since we are learning about shaders I used one of the demo shader sets included with my DAZ, I tweaked the brick color, but have a long way to go, then I'll save it as a mixer preset, I think. I'm not really sure what the thing is. I plan to make new cloth shaders for the aliens outfit as well I hope.

A little tip I found useful, if your imaging program can make seamless tile images, do it. It makes the shaders much more versatile. (if you are using jpgs for maps)

Title is "Tourists!"

I love the concept.

Thanks for the tip. I haven't gotten that far yet but will certainly keep it in mind.

edited December 1969

This is my first submission. I do not have a title yet. Only the Colo aircraft has had my own shader preset applied.

OCUC_1.jpg
    800 x 640 - 231K
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Nice Kismet :)

edited October 2013

This is probably next month, but since people are playing with shader sets I thought I would show a tiny bit of tiling.

Tiling is in the basic shader settings. I just used numbers, horizontal and vertical, no offsets. A very simple image can be a lot of things.

Basic map was a letter o on a blue background. :) pretty crude. I'm no pro, I'm a noobie, but it fun to play with this and I wanted to share it.

I've been playing with this since I discovered it (for myself) a few days ago.

The 50x50 tile preset applied to a dress. This is a crude quickie, just showing even a simple map can be effective. Her skirt is a simple foil shader preset I made, it's so fun to try on different surfaces with different diffuse colors.

letter_o.jpg
    530 x 700 - 111K
    Tiling.jpg
    600 x 600 - 49K
    Post edited by Teofa on
    edited December 1969

This is my first submission. I do not have a title yet. Only the Colo aircraft has had my own shader preset applied.

I LOVE the effect of mountain and cloud in the left. Eye grabber :)

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

standfast said:
    This is probably next month, but since people are playing with shader sets I thought I would show a tiny bit of tiling.

Tiling is in the basic shader settings. I just used numbers, horizontal and vertical, no offsets. A very simple image can be a lot of things.

Basic map was a letter o on a blue background. :) pretty crude. I'm no pro, I'm a noobie, but it fun to play with this and I wanted to share it.

I've been playing with this since I discovered it (for myself) a few days ago.

Cool, thanks for sharing. Admittedly tiling was kind of glossed over in my Ubersurface tutorial...wasn't sure how much detail would be necessary since as you said, it's a function of the DS default shader also. These examples are a good illustration of what tiling can do.

And as you said previously, it helps to use an image that's a seamless tile. There are some program specifically designed for the purpose of making seamless tiles (including TAME, which is sold in the DAZ store) but just about any image editor can do it, including Photoshop/Photoshop Elements and GIMP. You can do an online search for instructions specific to the software of your choice.

edited December 1969

my Corel does seamless, but a simple image like the "letter o" doesn't need it, since the borders are all the same. People can try this even without a program that will do seamless, if they stick to simple centered images, as CarolaO did with her Ferret :)

edited December 1969

standfast said:
    my Corel does seamless, but a simple image like the "letter o" doesn't need it, since the borders are all the same. People can try this even without a program that will do seamless, if they stick to simple centered images, as CarolaO did with her Ferret :)

Thanks for sharing this standfast. I have just started playing with textures. I hadn't gotten to the tiling numbers.

This month and next month should be fun.

edited December 1969

standfast said:

Thank you. I was a little worried about it before I rendered. The clouds where white and with the Colo being shaded a pale yellow there wasn't a lot of contrast. Imagine my surprise to see the clouds rendered dark. *happyhappyhappy*

This is the first time I have used this environment and a "plane" type vehicle.

edited October 2013

standfast said:

Thank you. I was a little worried about it before I rendered. The clouds where white and with the Colo being shaded a pale yellow there wasn't a lot of contrast. Imagine my surprise to see the clouds rendered dark. *happyhappyhappy*

One thing aircraft modelers do is enhance panel lines to add interest to surfaces. They have to be correct.. you don't.. its SF.
    I think this could be done with a few simple rounded rectangles.. line drawn, not solid, in black on a white surface and saved as a bump map. Not many, and not too busy, using a bump only with your cream color could give a subtle recessed panel effect.. "I THINK" lol. I would keep it away from the map borders, not center it, and only use it on certain surfaces. I tried it, this is the result, 150 bump and 10 positive displacement. Just picked a random yellow diffuse color. only added bump and diffuse, same map.

Its more next month.. so giving you a head start heh.

bump_panel.jpg
    530 x 700 - 38K
    01.jpg
    640 x 480 - 54K
    Post edited by Teofa on
  • Mcjam24Mcjam24 Posts: 115
    edited December 1969

Alrighty then, after smacking my head around going duh...after getting a little confused over the contest, I started simple and started playing, here's my first attempt at creating something resembling citrus fruit skin, not quite there, but close

citrus.jpg
    800 x 600 - 116K
    edited December 1969

mcjam24 said:
    Alrighty then, after smacking my head around going duh...after getting a little confused over the contest, I started simple and started playing, here's my first attempt at creating something resembling citrus fruit skin, not quite there, but close

Playing is the best way to learn. These are a great start.

edited December 1969

mcjam24 said:

Texture is really close :). Fun thing, with color change that could be pebbled leather like lizards, no slip strips on stairs, etc etc etc. Possibility is pretty endless.

• Mcjam24Mcjam24 Posts: 115
    edited December 1969

Yeah, I can say my eyes are starting to open to the possibilities, still have a lot to learn about the shader mixer, but I'm seeing some things that are making me go hmmm......in a good way.

Thanks for the feedback btw, anyway, here's a slightly tweaked version

citrus2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 73K
    edited December 1969

mcjam24 said:
    Yeah, I can say my eyes are starting to open to the possibilities, still have a lot to learn about the shader mixer, but I'm seeing some things that are making me go hmmm......in a good way.

Very nice.

edited December 1969

standfast said:
    Rough draft. Almost everything has a shader preset I have made. Since we are learning about shaders I used one of the demo shader sets included with my DAZ, I tweaked the brick color, but have a long way to go, then I'll save it as a mixer preset, I think. I'm not really sure what the thing is. I plan to make new cloth shaders for the aliens outfit as well I hope.

The scene I am using is found in My Library, DAZ formats, Shader Mixer scenes, volume smoke sample. At first it seems daunting, but if you expand the shade settings on the object you will find familiar areas from the basic shader, diffuse, bump, etc. I've played with these and saved a shader mixer scene. I did throw out the volumetric smoke camera.. wasn't doing anything for me but scaling up render time. Fooling with that is for a different day :)

Title is "Tourists!"

Nice start. I think the bump and/or displacement may be a bit strong on the ground plane (as is, it almost makes the figures look like miniatures). And the brick wall maybe could use some more bump and displacement. But everything else looks really natural to me, and fits in the scene.
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,358
    edited December 1969

standfast said:
    standfast said:

One thing aircraft modelers do is enhance panel lines to add interest to surfaces. They have to be correct.. you don't.. its SF.
    I think this could be done with a few simple rounded rectangles.. line drawn, not solid, in black on a white surface and saved as a bump map. Not many, and not too busy, using a bump only with your cream color could give a subtle recessed panel effect.. "I THINK" lol. I would keep it away from the map borders, not center it, and only use it on certain surfaces. I tried it, this is the result, 150 bump and 10 positive displacement. Just picked a random yellow diffuse color. only added bump and diffuse, same map.

Its more next month.. so giving you a head start heh.

This looks really good. You may want to tone down the displacement on the wings and increase the bump on the rest

edited December 1969

I like what you did with the Colo. If I were you I'd now focus on the highlights (specularity, glossiness, and reflection). The way you have it now makes it look a bit like a plastic toy to me--fine if that's what you're going for, but more realistic reflections I think would take this to the next level.

And I agree with previous comments...the clouds look great.

edited December 1969

mcjam24 said:

Almost good enough to eat! ;-)
    edited October 2013

tweaked. It is easier to say what I have not put a shader I created on. The 2 human genesis snd the Wilmap beret.. I've changed the settings on the shader mixer scene, but having trouble setting it as a preset.

Also, added something thats not in the main image, I could have postworked a badge in but did it with a plane and opaque map. Needs work for close up, but fine at distance :)

badge.png
    530 x 700 - 544K
    tourist.png
    659 x 800 - 579K
    Post edited by Teofa on
  • DestinysGardenDestinysGarden Posts: 2,550
    edited December 1969

I'm just poking my head in to say great work everyone. I'm so thrilled to see many of you taking your first steps into the wonderful world of creating shader presets.
    Scott-excellent tutorials. Thanks for putting those up.
    cheers!

edited December 1969

I know, I know, in a month I'll look at these and go "hmm" but, for now, I'm so pleased.

Close up to better show off my shaders. Also, I had a bumper sticker made..."ask me about my shaders"

Changed my star to some amorphous insignia thingy and put it on the beret as well.

touristcu.png
    876 x 700 - 802K
    edited October 2013

standfast said:
    I know, I know, in a month I'll look at these and go "hmm" but, for now, I'm so pleased.

Close up to better show off my shaders. Also, I had a bumper sticker made..."ask me about my shaders"

Changed my star to some amorphous insignia thingy and put it on the beret as well.

So hard to know when to stop tweaking. There always seems to be something that can be improved.

Looking good.

Post edited by Kismet2012 on
    edited December 1969

As I said before I really do not know anything about planes. Have been looking up a lot of pictures as references but still not sure I have the look right.

Here is my latest version.

ONUC_25.jpg
    800 x 640 - 248K