Baylien's Bumblings

Greetings and Salutations!

This here is my very first posting to the DAZ Forums Art Studio. I've been tinkering with the program for several years now but only recently started to take a vested interest in it. It's become something of an outlet for the endless ideas that spin around in my head. I am by no means any manner of professional artist. This remains a beloved hobby for me but one that has become very important to me. So join me in bumbling around this delightful program as I share with you some of the ditherings that I somehow manage to produce!

Comments

• BaylienBaylien Posts: 30
    edited November 2018

Title: People of Ralara 

Synopsis: Ralara is a science-fantasy world that I have been building over the past 3 years. Here we see depicted the 3 dominant species on the planet. 

In the Kylian section you can see my most beloved characters that I've ever created, the Twins, Damek and Kaelec. Rest assured that you'll be seeing quite a bit of them and their shenanigans in the days ahead.

people-of-ralara_full.png
    2133 x 1064 - 2M
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553

Very nice. Great explanation of who they are. 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Great synopsis!  Looking forward to seeing more of this story!

edited November 2018

Kaelec is the eldest son of Kylana Kyloros, High Queen of the Kylian people and twin brother to Damek. First Son of the First of Kylian kind, much is placed upon his shoulders. A fierce warrior who has displayed himself to be supremely capable in the thick of war as both fighter and leader he epitomizes Kylian discipline, courage, and adherence to honor. 

Kaelec Profile Sheet.png
    4000 x 4000 - 6M
    Post edited by Baylien on
  • Damek is the younger son of Kylana Kyloros, High Queen of the Kylian people and twin brother to Kaelec. As Second Son by only a few minutes, he enjoys more freedoms than his twin brother does at times. A man who believes in living fiercely and passionately, he is far less reserved and at times far more reckless. Despite his famed headstrong temperament he is every bit the formidable warrior as is expected of a Kylian Elite. Though many believe him foolhardy, his free spirited and passionate nature belies a deep well of intelligence and empathy.

Damek Profile Sheet.png
    4000 x 4000 - 5M
  • The people's of Ralara have long been capable of expanding their reach beyond the borders of their homeworld. Such efforts however have been hampered due to the rampant civil wars that upended the Hytori Empire. In the centuries since, the Kylian Primarchy and the Voraci Federation have been more concerned with maintaining their independence while the Empire had been consolidating its power-base. Things looked to be continuing like this for some time...until an alien species made contact with Ralara. Their arrival sparked tensions that had been quietly simmering between the Kylians, Hytori and Voraci. In the interest of preventing all out war from breaking out between the three factions, the newcomers invited all three races to a peace summit. As the sons and heirs to the High Queen of the Kylian Primarchy, the Twins are making their way through the corridor of a station to serve as diplomatic envoys for their people.

-----------

I must have reworked this image about 12 times. I learned a few things making this (like how to make my own billboards!) and while it isn't quite what I had wanted from the start, it is close and I'll take it.

Citadel.png
    2500 x 1667 - 7M
    edited December 2018

In their quest to create the perfect soldiers, the Hytori of old experimented on scores of Voraci slaves. Only one of those experiments proved fruitul: Kylana.

Incapable and unwilling to go to the lengths necessary to replicate the success of her creation, the Hytori used her genetic code as the template by which others were uplifted. So was born the First Generation. The strongest and fiercest of all Kylian, they are the pinnacle of their species.

These are the Primarchs. These are the Immortals.

From Left to Right.

Averyx of the Winding Path- Primarch of Secrets

Casanna of the Blessed Earth- Primarch of Life

Raxen of the Vigilant Blade- Primarch of War

Sereya of the Painted Veil- Primarch of Wonders

Damiron of the Endless Quest- Primarch of Knowledge

The Immortals pt 1.png
    3200 x 820 - 4M
    edited December 2018

"...her only crown was the nimbus of starlight that shone brightly about her head. To see her was to see Hope and Justice personified. Mother of only two. Holy Matron to them all."-Fajal Deraqa, Historian

Kylana the Everlight, High Queen of the Kylian Primarchy. Mother of the Twins by blood. Matron to all Kylian by design. She is the First of their kind. A woman who has suffered many trials and in the face of them was required to be more so she made herself more. Many centuries ago she served the Hytori Highlords and the Hytori Emperor faithfully. As the ruthlessness of their empire began to take its toll however, her mate and husband Talos began quietly working alongside the Voraci rebels seeking to overthrow the empire. During a botched assassination attempt against the Hytori Emperor that failed, his dealings came to light. Kylana begged her masters for clemency, to spare him by exile or any other means. They refused and her beloved Talos was executed. Devastated her grief drove her to try and flee the empire and go into seclusion. She was thwarted when the Hytori Emperor interceded. Her then infant sons were taken as ransom to ensure her loyalty and by proxy, the loyalty of the Kylian Clans. It would be several years before Kylana managed to rescue her sons alongside Voraci rebels. She became a driving force behind the rebellion that toppled the Hytori Empire's supremacy. 

----------

Holy fudge biscuits there are so many flaws in this piece but I will go cross eyed if I keep tinkering with it. I learned yet more things while making this. Things I will apply to future pieces. 

• In their quest to create the perfect soldiers, the Hytori of old experimented on scores of Voraci slaves. Only one of those experiments proved fruitul: Kylana.

Incapable and unwilling to go to the lengths necessary to replicate the success of her creation, the Hytori used her genetic code as the template by which others were uplifted. So was born the First Generation. The strongest and fiercest of all Kylian, they are the pinnacle of their species.

These are the Primarchs. These are the Immortals. (Part 2)

From Left to Right.

Alyenne of the Shining Steel, Primarch of Industry

Nerix of the Amber Flame, Primarch of Vices

Erinne of the Unseen Dark, Primarch of Shadows

Hyrion of the Rising Light, Primarch of Justice

Kalyara of the Black Rose, Primarch of Death

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Really looking forward to how this story is going to unfold.

Great job on the render of the High Queen and her sons, I totally understand that there is just a point where something needs to be done, even if its not done as much as we would like.  Still turned out great.

• Really looking forward to how this story is going to unfold.

Great job on the render of the High Queen and her sons, I totally understand that there is just a point where something needs to be done, even if its not done as much as we would like.  Still turned out great.

Thank you, Ice Dragon. It's very appreciated! I'm still focused mainly on world building and lore development before I get to the actual story spinning in my head. I've got one last thing involving the Kylian Primarchy before I move on to the Hytori Empire. I'm excited to keep working on this on-going idea!
  • "She tried to flee when they took him from her. She chose to fight when they tried to take all that she had left of him."

Here we see the Kylian Prime Family before the rebellion that changed the whole of Ralara. For his part in aiding the Voraci Rebels against the Empire, the mighty Talos was torn from his family. The Emperor and the Highlords made an example of him.

Primarch Talos the Dawnking, Consort to the Everlight

Queen Kylana the Everlight, High Queen of the Kylian Primarchy

Primarch Damek the Sunspeaker, Son of the Everlight, Primarch of Clan Talos

Primarch Kaelec the Lightbringer, Son of the Everlight, Crown Prince of the Primarchy

Family.png
    2000 x 2000 - 7M
  • "We are the Light."-House Solastris, Motto

The proud and mighty Great House of Solastris has ruled as the masters of the Hytori Imperium as the exemplars of what it means to embody power, grace, cunning and ruthlessness for over a thousand years. While their sovereignty has been tested over the centuries, the family has managed to cling to the Golden Throne of the Hytori Imperium through it all. In recent years their power has been greatly diminished due firstly to the rebellion of the Kylian Clans and the once scores of Voraci slaves that served the empire. In-fighting following the death and defeat of Emperor Kysis Solastris, the reigning sovereign during the Black Rebellion, saw many powerful Solastris psions at each others throats as they vied to claim the throne. Finally, several of the noble houses have increasingly challenged Solastris rule successfully, resulting in a shift in the dynamic of power in the Imperium. Many have begun to wonder if House Solastris should even continue to rule.

House Solastris prizes psionic strength, intelligence, cunning, beauty, power and loyalty. These are traits that have been cultivated in each of its members over the generations. The current generation is no different. They are perhaps the most ruthless of any Solastris generation in many years. The current members of House Solastris find themselves pitted against the Elyssian Concordance, a council of Highlords whom have banded together in the interest of placing a check on Solastris rule. At first, there was open war between the Loyalists and the Concordance until a stalemate was reached. Forced to either compromise or see the collapse of the Imperium entirely, the sovereign ceded some power to the Concordance. The monarchy and the Concordance now exist in an uneasy balance.

Pictured here:

Galatan Fyurion Solastris II, Lord-Emperor of the Hytori Imperium (Center)
    Kolvis Araqiel Solastris, Crown Prince of the Hytori Imperium, Archon of the Warsworn (Left)
    Saidara Malara Solastris, Princess of the Hytori Imperium, Grand Magistrix of the Institute of Higher Mysteries (Right)

House Solastris.png
    2000 x 1250 - 4M
  • WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893

This is like Game of Thrones in Space! You've done so much work on world-building and character development. yes I hope, for you characters' sake, that you're less homicidal than GRRM. 

And hooo boy... I've seen some pretty swole guys around here, but those twins are so ripped they probably need to floss between their abs when they're showering. Wouldn't want to get on their bad side, for sure!

edited December 2018
    TigerAnne said:

This is like Game of Thrones in Space! You've done so much work on world-building and character development. yes I hope, for you characters' sake, that you're less homicidal than GRRM. 

And hooo boy... I've seen some pretty swole guys around here, but those twins are so ripped they probably need to floss between their abs when they're showering. Wouldn't want to get on their bad side, for sure!

Game of Thrones in space. I like it. Haha, the House Solastris is pretty brutal. Everywhere I've looked, elves who are associated with "Light" and the "Sun" are more or less the "good-guys" who are fading and waning in power. So I took that idea and flipped it on its head. The Hytori are very much a people who consider themselves to be the Light of the World. They believe that their ways are whats best for Ralara. That philosophy has lead to many atrocities across their world's history. From the extermination of "lesser" races, to the "uplifting" of others, the Hytori are beautiful but that beauty hides some very twisted beliefs. That's not to say these beliefs are held universally by all Hytori but the upper echelons that drive their society are very entrenched in these viewpoints. 

Haha, the Twins are the pinnacle of their species. They were born and raised to be warriors and leaders. Being on their bad side is never a good idea. ;)

• "Lets make this fun, shall we?"

The notorious pirate, Captain Khorin Scythewing is a hero to many and an annoying thorn in the side of high class merchants across Ralara. Captain Scythewing is from one of the few surviving Dra-Hytori Clans. The sister race to the Hytori, many centuries ago their Suntouched cousins decreed that the peaceful Moontouched were lesser and must be purged. The ensuing war was long and bloody seeing the annihilation of the entirety of the Dra-Hytori homeland. Cities were razed, countless were slaughtered and the Dra-Hytori were forced into hiding. During the era where the Hytori Imperium reigned supreme over Ralara, their people were hunted that much closer to extinction. When the great rebellion rocked the foundations of the empire, the Dra-Hytori resurfaced as crucial allies. Their people live mostly in migrant fleets of ships or caravans around Ralara serving as mercenaries, bounty hunters, scavengers or pirates. 

Khorin is a veteran of many conflicts. He is a thrill seeker who enjoys the rush that comes with a newfound challenge. Intelligent and crafty, he has been a thorn in the side of various Hytori merchants and Voraci trade barons for many years. For reasons unknown, he is ever a friend and ally to any Kylian he comes across. His ship, The Masquerada, is legendary as is his reputation for being a man of honor...where honor is warranted. 

Khorin Scythewing.png
    2000 x 2000 - 5M

"Warrior, fallen. Father, forever."

Having lost him to the tyranny of the Hytori Imperium as only boys, the Twins visit the memorial to their father expressing a deep reverence and loss for him.

Unrelated to my Ralara world, here we see my pale half-orc Divine Soul Sorcerer from my Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition campaign. He looks like a grump (and he sometimes is) but he's a good bean with a lot of responsibility on his shoulders. I tried experimenting with a frosty/white skin. I'd say it came out pretty well! I love the contrast with his eyes. 

Just something fun that I wanted to do!

edited February 2019

The Twins getting up to some shenanigans. It had been a while since I made a render of them. I was going through withdrawals! So, this came about because I wanted to depict them doing something fun. Enjoy!

• mori_mannmori_mann Posts: 1,152

That's an awesome orc. Pale skin can be hell to light sometimes. Well done!

• Thank you @mori_mann! I don't know how many times I had to tinker with his skin to make it turn out right. Lol

edited February 2019

"A new world awaited us. Maybe one better than the one we left behind."

A friend commented that it would be cool to see the Twins with long hair and black sclera. I worked on Kaelec first. When the initial render came out I was blown away by how vastly different his appearance was. He seemed more intense, more brooding, and definitely more powerful and emotive. Personally, I love how it came out!

• Damek was second to work on in the suggested concept of long hair and black sclera. While I wanted to project that Damek is a powerful man, he is also a man who is a tad more optimistic than his twin brother. So I tried to go for an image that was both thought provoking and inspiring. Hopefully I hit the mark!

• Trying my hand at sequential stuff. It's a lot of work! But I am happy (if a bit choked up!) with how this came out. In the world that is in my head, this is the onset of a terrible war that changes everything the people of their world know. Enjoy!

edited April 2019

"First of the Chosen. Prince in the Void. Beloved by the Dark. The Bringer of the Ebon Dawn. Such were his names. For he is the most loved...and the most feared."-Cassius Krassus, Treatise of the Voidborn.

This is Declan. His creation was helped by my twitter followers. I really enjoyed working on him. :)