Saving new content... confused about folder locations

DrHemulenDrHemulen Posts: 80

I'm trying to make a few products for fun, just to get the hang of things, but I'm a little confused as to where I'm supposed to save the various assets.

I have made and mapped a new folder for my project, a simple accessory .

I get that I save the item itself as
\props\DrHemulen\Gizmoes\compass.duf

I also get that textures go into
\runtime\textures\DrHemulen\Gizmoes\map.jpg

But how about the matrials themselves? I'm assuming that a material is just a file that references the various settings and the locations and names of the texturs. Do I drop them in
\presets\materials\DrHemulen\Gizmoes\material1.duf ?
What if I want to offer multiple materials?

From the documentation it sounds like everything has to go in very specific places, but there doesn't seem to be any defaults when saving.

I've googled and searched the documentation, but most of the hits refer to older filetypes that don't seem to be relevant any more.

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

The most common placement these days (and the one I personally prefer) seems to be in a subfolder of the items -- in your example, \props\DrHemulen\Gizmoes\Materials\compass_mat.duf

• DrHemulenDrHemulen Posts: 80
    edited October 2013

OK, great, thanks a lot.

One more thing, when I save a material, how much is saved? I can see I can save "shader presets", but where are they in relation to saving materials, and when do I have to save shader presets individually? Is it only a shader preset when I start messing around with the brick network? I just want to do materials that use the AoA SSS distributed with DAZ, and fiddle with the user parameters.

Post edited by DrHemulen on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Shader presets are for applying to any surface, material presets are for a specific set of surfaces.