Exporting Morphed Object Is Unmorphed

thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I posted about this previously and my recollection was that Carrara doesn't export the mesh as distorted by a morph unless 1) that option is checked in the export settings and 2) the object is rigged.

It has taken me a while to get back to this particular issue and I have added a bone to the object in question and still there is no joy when exporting as an object file.

This issue is in particular with a vertex object created in Carrara with the morphs likewise created in Carrara. It is a simple object and, in fact, is just the morphing D6 I posted on sharecg.

Now, it isn't that complex and I could create a D6 object with the pips modelled into it (as opposed to it being flat-faced when unmorphed and then using morphs to adjust the pips), but it seems that Carrara should be exporting the mesh as morphed.

It does work to "Save" the morph when in the modeling room and the morph is selected for editing, but this is not a desirable solution as what I want is actually a blend of multiple morphs.

This is all with Carrara 8.5 Pro build 243 on OS X.

Any ideas?

Comments

• FenricFenric Posts: 351
    edited December 1969

Looks like a Carrara bug: I just tried to make a simple cube and morph dents in it. Carrara's exporter just doesn't export the morphed shape, even with "Export object with morphs and skinning" checked.

My Object Sequence Exporter does it correctly - you can download and use the free trial: it's limited to 10 frames at a time, but since you only want one that doesn't really matter.

• thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452
    edited December 1969

well, I'd best report it then. Thanks for checking and providing a work around. I appreciate it!

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Different thing I've run into (but in the same vein) is that I can't seem to export hair objects morphed (not carrara hair but the actual poser hr filetypes). For cr2 hair, I have no problems, but for the hr2 hair it always exports without morphs or movements I've made, in the default style and position.

edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    Different thing I've run into (but in the same vein) is that I can't seem to export hair objects morphed (not carrara hair but the actual poser hr filetypes). For cr2 hair, I have no problems, but for the hr2 hair it always exports without morphs or movements I've made, in the default style and position.

Yes, that fails for me as well (now that I've tried it). Fenric's workaround straightens the hair out (so to speak ;-)) which does until Daz fixes it.

edited December 1969

thoromyr said:

Yes, that fails for me as well (now that I've tried it). Fenric's workaround straightens the hair out (so to speak ;-)) which does until Daz fixes it.

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle, I picked up nearly all of Fenric's stuff during the PA sale, but don't have the Object Sequence Exporter yet; I had seen it on his store but wasn't sure whether I would ever need to use it. Didn't realize that it could be used to get around my current 'hairy' problem :) Great news to hear that it works, and this will be very useful to me indeed (I export a lot of Carrara scenes as objects to render in Thea, and one of my peeves is that some of my best hair props I can't use because of that bug Carrara has in exporting hr2.

Thank you Thoromyr, I'm tickled pink that there's a solution this easy and handy, and thanks to the awesome Fenric for making it, I'll be cruising by his store later today (when I get off work) to pick it up, excited to give this a try :)

• mikomodamikomoda Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Fenric said:
    Looks like a Carrara bug: I just tried to make a simple cube and morph dents in it. Carrara's exporter just doesn't export the morphed shape, even with "Export object with morphs and skinning" checked.

My Object Sequence Exporter does it correctly - you can download and use the free trial: it's limited to 10 frames at a time, but since you only want one that doesn't really matter.

This seems to be a great tool and I installed it to the extensios folder inside c 8.5 and even c 8.1.1. (Both 64bit versions on Win 8). But where is the plugin located? I can't find it! There is no command and even no Fenric sub-menu in Assembly room’s “Edit” menu :roll:

Any suggestions?

• mikomodamikomoda Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Found it as an option in export dialogue! :red:

edited December 1969

Although I picked up the object sequence exporter back when this thread was shiny and new, I've only just got around to playing with it.

I'm having a trouble. I can't seem to export an object sequence, not sure what I'm doing wrong? If I put together a V4, for example, with hair in a certain style and clothing the way I like it, I then click on File, Export, then select Object Sequence (.objs) it gives me the little box to choose how many frames and switch Y and Z etc, but then gives the infamous 'an error has occurred'. What am I doing wrong?

edited December 1969

C8.5 has some bugs for sure. Does it crash if you only export the hair? Or just V4 and the hair together?

edited December 1969

The Object Sequence Exporter only exports one thing at a time... so make sure that you are selecting the figure. Try choosing a bone (like hip) rather than a group.

In order to get the "good" data for exporting, I can't combine objects - it just doesn't work: I can only export one master object at a time.

edited December 1969

thoromyr said:
    C8.5 has some bugs for sure. Does it crash if you only export the hair? Or just V4 and the hair together?

Well it doesn't really crash; just gives the 'error has occurred message' and doesn't do anything. However I hadn't tried to export the hair by itself though, only as part of a grouping and from what Fenric said:

The Object Sequence Exporter only exports one thing at a time... so make sure that you are selecting the figure. Try choosing a bone (like hip) rather than a group.

In order to get the "good" data for exporting, I can't combine objects - it just doesn't work: I can only export one master object at a time.

Ah I see, so my whole 'make it a group, then export' approach is what's causing the problem. I didn't realize; making it all a group of one object and exporting works when using the regular Carrara export for .obj, so I was trained to think that was the way to do it.

I'm not sure how to use it if I can't group things together though. I use the export so I can then import into TheaRender and render my scene unbiased. The thought of exporting every individual part separately and then trying to move them around in TheaRender so they are all in the right position relative to each other is just too much work/too difficult. Also I'm not at all sure how to export a poser hair (.hr) that is attached to a figure. I can export the V4, for example, using the .objs format, but she shows up bald, no trace of the .hr that was attached to her, and .hr hair files don't show as separate figures in Carrara; they are attached to the 'head' portion of the V4/M4 figure.

edited December 1969

Let me think about what might be possible... I need to figure out how to get Carrara to stop blowing up when people pick something other than a bone or primitive, anyway.

But,to answer that particular question: you export the hair by selecting it directly

edited December 1969

Thanks Fenric :)