Bryce and parallels or similar

I am using an old macbook pro laptop running snow leopard to run Bryce and I have recently bought an late 2015 imac. Has anyone used parallels or a similar programme to run the pc version of Bryce as i already use Hexagon and would like the convenience of having bryce on the same mac.

Comments

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,807

Yes, I've run Bryce under Parallels (on a MacBook Pro). In my experience, it works fine.

• Thanks for the reply I have decided to go with virtualbox as its free. Does bryce run ok on windows 10?

Thanks for the reply I have decided to go with virtualbox as its free. Does bryce run ok on windows 10?

In my experience, yes. I haven't tried the VirtualBox/Windows 10/Bryce combination, but Windows 10 and Bryce seem to get along OK under Parallels.

Your mileage may, of course, vary, but Bryce has worked pretty well for me under emulation. There are some very minor glitches -- the Sun azimuth/pitch control is a little hard to control with the mouse because it responds too quickly, the color picker can sometimes not give the colors you expect (but if you option-click you get an RGB picker, which works fine), etc. But everything I've encountered so far has been at the level of minor annoyances rather than show-stoppers.

I have a vague memory that someone in another thread recommended installing Bryce manually, rather than letting the DAZ Install Manager do it.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,119

Indeed, DIM is great for Studio, but Bryce needs to be installed manually. I have a PDF (https://horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/BryceContent_v4.pdf) that explains where Bryce and its content must be installed (Mac and Win).

• Thanks for the reply I have decided to go with virtualbox as its free. Does bryce run ok on windows 10?

In my experience, yes. I haven't tried the VirtualBox/Windows 10/Bryce combination, but Windows 10 and Bryce seem to get along OK under Parallels.

Your mileage may, of course, vary, but Bryce has worked pretty well for me under emulation. There are some very minor glitches -- the Sun azimuth/pitch control is a little hard to control with the mouse because it responds too quickly, the color picker can sometimes not give the colors you expect (but if you option-click you get an RGB picker, which works fine), etc. But everything I've encountered so far has been at the level of minor annoyances rather than show-stoppers.

I have a vague memory that someone in another thread recommended installing Bryce manually, rather than letting the DAZ Install Manager do it.

I have tried both windows 10 and osx snow leopard and the programme seems to run ok. There is a problem with moving the camera though, once you start moving in a direction you cant change it to the opposite direction it just keeps going in one direction, as this is happening on both platforms it has to be an issue with parallels or the mouse i am using but all other functions work fine. If i cant solve this issue i wont be using parallels i will just have to keep using my old macbook pro running snow leopard.

Thanks for the reply I have decided to go with virtualbox as its free. Does bryce run ok on windows 10?

I have tried both windows 10 and osx snow leopard and the programme seems to run ok. There is a problem with moving the camera though, once you start moving in a direction you cant change it to the opposite direction it just keeps going in one direction, as this is happening on both platforms it has to be an issue with parallels or the mouse i am using but all other functions work fine. If i cant solve this issue i wont be using parallels i will just have to keep using my old macbook pro running snow leopard.

I hadn't encountered this before, but I think I see what you mean.

What I find is that the camera seems to have some momentum -- if I click on one of the cross-shaped controls on the left of the interface, then drag, it starts moving in one direction. If I drag in the other direction, it resists moving in that direction, at least at first. If I continue to drag, I can eventually get it to respond.

I get better control if I click on the arrow-shaped tips of the controls, rather than the central sphere. Releasing the mouse button also makes it easier to get the camera moving the other way.

I get this effect with both a mouse -- Logitech G302 -- and a trackpad -- Apple Magic Trackpad. So I can definitely see the problem, but at least on my setup it's possible to work around it.