Determining file sizes???

WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
edited December 1969 in The Commons

As is always an issue with anything downloaded on the internet, the odds of a file not downloading thoroughly is common. It was always helpful for me to now how big my download is supposed to be, so I know if it downloaded properly.

The way the available downloads is now, I can't tell. And since not all files require the whole click, click, click window routine, I don't now if my stuff is installing properly or not.

Anybody else having this issue? If so, how do I remedy it?

Comments

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,714
    edited December 1969

As is always an issue with anything downloaded on the internet, the odds of a file not downloading thoroughly is common. It was always helpful for me to now how big my download is supposed to be, so I know if it downloaded properly.

The way the available downloads is now, I can't tell. And since not all files require the whole click, click, click window routine, I don't now if my stuff is installing properly or not.

Well when they have converted all the files to zip format, it's easy to test if files are corrupt. I use WinRAR myself for testing downloaded files, it can test at least a thousand zip files (probably more but I haven't tried) with a few clicks.

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
    edited May 2012

Taozen said:

Well when they have converted all the files to zip format, it's easy to test if files are corrupt. I use WinRAR myself for testing downloaded files, it can test at least a thousand zip files (probably more but I haven't tried) with a few clicks.

So now I not only have to switch to the zip files vs the exe file, I also have to test them to see if they are corrupt because Daz will no longer tell me the file size?

And what is an .sit file? I don't have a mac. I am not being offered a .zip file to check if the file is downloading right or not!

This is ridiculous!!!!!

Post edited by WillowRaven on
    edited December 1969

So now I not only have to switch to the zip files vs the exe file, I also have to test them to see if they are corrupt because Daz will no longer tell me the file size?

Well the file size that was listed on the old download page wasn't completely reliable anyway since it was only approximate, like 45.22 MB. You'll need the number in bytes (in this case e.g. 45.221.349) to be able to check if the downloaded file has the correct size.

Besides, even files with the correct size may be corrupted during transmission, though it's rare. When testing zip files size is irrelevant, as the file contains a checksum that will reveal if the file is corrupted even if the size is correct.

As an alternative you can use a download manager (the new site supports these) which checks for file corruption, but still, it's only zip files and other formats with an internal checksum that can be tested 100% (well 99.999999%) reliably.

• atryeuatryeu Posts: 612
    edited December 1969

The old site could use download managers too, but it flies through the 4 tries in no time at all. The tries are still listed so download managers are still a bad idea :( I thought when they brought up the download managers that would mean the limited number of tries would be eliminated as well :(

edited December 1969

So what ya'll are saying is this is also harder and more time consuming and labor intensive than before, since I will now have to somehow assure that my file is downloading fully and properly trough some kind of external software than them just giving me an estimated file size to compare to ... right?

And what the heck is a .sit file. I am not being offered a .zip file.

edited December 1969

.sit are for MAC users. The .zip files are not available yet.

edited December 1969

atryeu said:
    .sit are for MAC users. The .zip files are not available yet.

Another reason I need to know if my file is downloading properly or not. I don't even have a zip file option as a back-up choice :(

edited December 1969

I just want the sizes back so I can download anything at all :( I can't download if I can't plan ahead and see what files I can do and what I need to wait and try at the library when I can... *is on dialup and has an 8hr session limit and 250hr/month time limits* :( Takes me about 1hr for 10mb, and most files now are 100mb+ and I can't download those so I really need those sizes listed too :(

edited December 1969

atryeu said:
    The old site could use download managers too, but it flies through the 4 tries in no time at all. The tries are still listed so download managers are still a bad idea :( I thought when they brought up the download managers that would mean the limited number of tries would be eliminated as well :(

Yea, you're right. DAZ said however that you can use download managers on the new site, so that needs some clarification.

edited May 2012

So what ya'll are saying is this is also harder and more time consuming and labor intensive than before, since I will now have to somehow assure that my file is downloading fully and properly trough some kind of external software than them just giving me an estimated file size to compare to ... right?

Maybe the mods are going to kick my butt for advertising now, but the DAZ Content Downloader automatically checks if the file size is correct for every file it downloads. It's not availalble right now though as I'm working on an update (hopely ready within a week or so) that will work with the new store. But otherwise you can get it here:

http://taosoft.dk/software/3DConDo/

Post edited by Taoz on
    edited December 1969

Taozen said:

Maybe the mods are going to kick my butt for advertising now, but the DAZ Content Downloader automatically checks if the file size is correct for every file it downloads. It's not availalble right now though as I'm working on an update (hopely ready within a wekk or so) that will work with the new store. But otherwise you can get it here:

http://taosoft.dk/software/3DConDo/

Well, hopefully you won't get in trouble since I am the one who started the thread and would find something like this quite helpful. Let us know when it's adapted for the new site, please. :D

edited May 2012

Well, hopefully you won't get in trouble since I am the one who started the thread and would find something like this quite helpful. Let us know when it's adapted for the new site, please. :D

Sure. Will announce it in the DAZ commercial forum and on the maillist, when the new version is out. :)

Post edited by Taoz on
    edited December 1969

Taozen said:

Sure. Will announce it in the commercial forum when the new version is out, and on the maillist. :)

It's a good thing I subscribed, then, because I almost never check the commercial threads ... lol.