Video Problems

Can't figure out what I changed to make this happen.

The first pic shows the model but it's missing several sections of the outer skin on the bottom but when I change the angle of the view (see 2nd pic) the sections missing reapprear and other sections disapear.

I'm using a Quadro k600 on 8GHz RAM
HP 6200 Pro
Win 10 Pro
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz, 3101 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

Anybody have any ideas?

Comments

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

Turn backface culling off.

• handyman4545handyman4545 Posts: 399
    edited March 2019

Wow Asc!
    I actually find myself for the 2nd time (I think) thanking you.
    That worked and the asnswer, though not rife with great detail on location or description, was reletively easy to find and use.

"Display" tab
    "Backface Visibility" selection.

This is actually a good tool to know about in larger, more complex drawings.

Back-face culling
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On the left a model without BFC; on the right the same model with BFC: back-faces are removed. In computer graphics, back-face culling determines whether a polygon of a graphical object is visible. It is a step in the graphical pipeline that tests whether the points in the polygon appear in clockwise or counter-clockwise order when projected onto the screen. If the user has specified that front-facing polygons have a clockwise winding, but the polygon projected on the screen has a counter-clockwise winding then it has been rotated to face away from the camera and will not be drawn. The process makes rendering objects quicker and more efficient by reducing the number of polygons for the program to draw. For example, in a city street scene, there is generally no need to draw the polygons on the sides of the buildings facing away from the camera; they are completely occluded by the sides facing the camera.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Curious about another error message issue that appears when I boot the Hexagon program.

OpenGL 1.4 not supported
    This may produce unpredictable results

Post edited by handyman4545 on
  • Curious about another error message issue that appears when I boot the Hexagon program.

OpenGL 1.4 not supported
    This may produce unpredictable results

Wow Asc!
    I actually find myself for the 2nd time (I think) thanking you.
    That worked and the asnswer, though not rife with great detail on location or description, was reletively easy to find and use.

"Display" tab
    "Backface Visibility" selection.

Or just the icon in the bottom bar.

And that's not an error message. That's a warning. Update your graphics driver in the hopes that the manufacturer finally joined the 2000s or get yourself a (semi-)recent card that actually supports it.

Or keep on running like that and hope for the best.

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

Handyman,

Another trick I've used when I get that missing geometry is to reset my viewpoint. I get that most often when I've been using View Detail and have zoomed beyond the point Hex expects. I reset to View All then re-select the area I want to zoom on with View Detail and the issue goes away.

The Open GL message is a warning. I think of it as a CYA for Daz that if something behaves oddly with the UI they can fall back on "update your drivers". I have one machine that I can't upgrade Open GL anymore. Although I rarely use it for Hex, I get that warning too and haven't seen any issues so far. I suppose eventually Hex will upgrade to the point where it will fail on my older machine, but for now I'm okay with it on the rare times I use it to open a project.

• handyman4545handyman4545 Posts: 399
    edited March 2019

Been a long, long time since I fooled around with the computer system components so when I installed the new (refurb) K600, I expected the card to work fine.
    The mfg says the card runs Open GL4.4 so I expected 4.4
    What I had was 1.1
    That was the error message in Hex and when I finally got around to opening DAZ, it refused to open at all.
    In addition, I'm supposed to have 1G of video mem and the system specs have been showing 0.0

I went online for a driver update and after 5 minutes of download and instal, I went from V10.18.13.5330 to 23.21.13.9133
    System info now shows the new ver but the ram still reads 0.0 (maybe I'm missing something?)

I'm about to restart the system to set the new driver...

UPDATE
    After updating the driver and restarting the system I now show the 1G video ram but no indication of the Open GL ver.
    Since DAZ now boots I'm assuming I have at least the min Daz requires.
    Hexagon no longer shows the "CYA" warning message.
    Video adapter driver update was 3/22/2018

Thanks again guys for your input.

UPDATE 02
    Huge difference in the video performance of Hexagon for a small cost in herdware upgrade!
    The high poly drawings now navigate smoothly with nearly zero drag!
    Very happy with teh results.

Post edited by handyman4545 on

The mfg says the card runs Open GL4.4 so I expected 4.4
    What I had was 1.1

The card may be capable of that but if you run on ancient (or Windows default) drivers the all the card capabilities in the world won't help you.

It's like your car being capable of 200mph. If you don't shift up a gear or two and always stay in First you'll never reach that speed.

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

UPDATE 02
    Huge difference in the video performance of Hexagon for a small cost in herdware upgrade!
    The high poly drawings now navigate smoothly with nearly zero drag!
    Very happy with teh results.

That is awesome, man! :) But now we'll expect bigger and better things from you with your next model. ;-)

• Oooo.
    The proverbial "pole" has been set.

I'm actually working on a new project. Not the standard starship thing. That's starting to get too easy and I hate to say it, tiresome.
    I think I need a break from it.
    I'm seeing soooo many variations of the ST saucer and cigar ships I'm sick of the design.

I'm really excited now that the system is functional and low dollar.

The SHARP, HDTV cost $110
    The refurb HP 6200 Quad cost me $86
    The Nvidia K600 cost $20
    The adapter from DVI to HDMI was $16
    All I need now is 2 more 4Gig DDR3 chips to max the Ram and I'm good for probebly another 5 years. 

Daz is happy with the new hardware now and more importantly, so is Hexagon.
    PSP CR2 is even giggling a little now.

I feel like I'm now properly attired to do this thing better.