Cute, Cute St. Patrick's Day Item

I love the little St. Patrick's Day special item for today. It went straight into my cart. Only one teensy-weensy teeny-tiny little flaw. The "shamrock" isn't a shamrock. It's a four-leaf clover. Shamrocks have only three leaves, not four, but the set is still adorable!

Comments

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,299
    melanie said:

I love the little St. Patrick's Day special item for today. It went straight into my cart. Only one teensy-weensy teeny-tiny little flaw. The "shamrock" isn't a shamrock. It's a four-leaf clover. Shamrocks have only three leaves, not four, but the set is still adorable!

A four leaf clover is considered lucky.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890
    edited March 2019

That reminds me that I bought a Mother Mary Catholic prayer book in a used book store when I lived in Switzerland and opened it up and discovered it was given to a little girl by her mother well before 1900 and within the book she had pressed a 4-leaf clover that she had found as a child in her prayer book. It was really sweet. 

Nowadays you can often buy potted shamrocks (oxalis) at gardening stores, but I've yet to see clover sold except as seed for easy to grow & mow gound cover and livestock graze. There is a new hybridized type of clover called 'mini-clover' that I am going to try and take over my lawn that is sheep fescue and rye grass. I want the rye grass gone as it is what makes for all the mowing. Sheep fescue can stay and spread with the clover. Maybe the city will allow pet goats and I can forget about mowing?!

+++++

I looked it up - shamrock, clover, and wood sorrel are all oxalis but they don't know which species was the species 1st called shamrock and used as a symbol of the trinity, probably because the different species all look so much alike they didn't really know to distinguish between them back then. I remember wood sorrel looks like miniaturized clover but has bright yellow flowers and likes shade from around here (I wonder if this wood sorrel is the species they hybridized with regular clover to make this new mini-clover sold as lawn cover that is so expensive).

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,183

You can rent goats or sheep for lawn maintenance.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,137
    NorthOf45 said:

So, who then cleans up the grass after it's been processed through the goat? indecision

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    NorthOf45 said:

So, who then cleans up the grass after it's been processed through the goat? indecision

Ya leave it as fertilizer ;). Of course, who wants to dodge goat landmines? :P

Laurie

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited March 2019

The term shamrock is derived from the Gaelic word seamrog which means “little clover.” It is famous as a symbol of Ireland. St. Patrick believed that the three tiny leaves represent the Holy Trinity, which it is all over the place on St. Patrick’s Day.

There is no specific “shamrock plant.” However, most scientists agree that the term “shamrock” refers to Trifolium Repens or the white clover. Others believe that it is also used when referring to Trifolium Dubium or suckling clover. Both species have leaves that are separated into three leaflets, hence the term “trifolium.”

On the other hand, clover or “trefoil” is a common term that refers to any of the 300 species that belongs to the Trifolium family. Trifolium plants like the red clover, white clover, Swedish clover, strawberry clover, and Alsatian clover are small, green, flower-bearing, and herbaceous. They can be short-lived, perennial, or annual.

A clover is trifoliate, which means the leaves are subdivided into three toothed leaflets, although four-leaf, five-leaf, and six-leaf clovers can be occasionally found due to a natural genetic mutation. It is believed that there is only one four-leaf clover in a hundred thousand three-leaf clovers, which is why it is widely accepted as a symbol of luck. Some people also believe four-leaf clovers represents faith, hope, love, and luck.

Shamrock vs Clover

What, then, is the difference between a shamrock and a clover?

“Clover” is a generic term that refers to trefoils, or any of the 300 species that belong to the Trifolium family. These plants have leaves that are separated into three leaflets, but you may find four-leaf, five-leaf or even six-leaf clovers as a genetic abnormality. “Shamrock,” on the other hand, means “little clover” and is used to refer to the white clover species or the suckling clover species. It is also the symbol of Ireland and St. Patrick’s Day.

In conclusion, shamrocks are clovers, but not all clovers are shamrocks.

BTW   I am part Irish  (I know everybody is Irish on St Patrick's day,  but I am part Irish all the time.) My eldest son married an Irish girl, so 4 of my grandchildren are more than half Irish.  Both my sons chose to go and live in Ireland. % of my grandchildren are also in Ireland.  3 of them were born in Ireland.  And My youngest Grandaughter is learning to speak Irish Gaelic.  Lá Fhéile Pádraig sona duit!

Post edited by Chohole on
    NorthOf45 said:

Nearest once I know of around here are 50 miles away. laugh Used to be they were at least almost as common a chickens or ducks, which are also are not so common anymore.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited March 2019

Up in North Wales, during a recent storm, the goats decided to relocate down from the mountain and visit the local town instead.
    https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/goats-cause-havoc-at-a-crossing-in-wales/

They even featured on the TV

Post edited by Chohole on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780

I wonder if that rainbow is in the package and how they made that

• Linwelly said:

I wonder if that rainbow is in the package and how they made that

Jusy looked at it, is such a pretty set. The What's Included lists Sunbeam, so maybe that's the rainbow. But it's probably the rays showing through the trees.

I tried making a rainbow out of a strategically placed DAZ Studio primitive torus with a iRay water (rainbow dispersive) but that didn't work and so added a CC0 rainbow seemless tileable texture to the iRay emmissive color channel but again the results were 'not quite' what I wanted. 

Around here, in rural midwest and southest USA clover always refers to the bigger clover with the white flowers or a smaller species with a pink flower. They are called white clover and red clover.  Both are used as lawn filler and cattle grazing. You can pull the white stems out of the white clover flower and get sugar out of them that tastes quite good. We used to do that as kids looking for 4 leaf clovers. Those that grew up on farms or growing their own food in this area know that the 'clover with the yellow flower' is wood sorrel as they made clear to me when I first moved from the big city. We use the word shamrock for such a plant only on March 17th.

When we used to visit my Granny up in the mountains, there was a swinging bridge that would cross the river down below and everytime we'd get near to the otherside of the bridge an old billy goat would chase us to the side we started on again! That was the funniest goat. On the other side of the bridge is a steep mountainside that a railroad track was cut into and after heavy rains and if we'd go swimming in that river, that river would fill up with snakes swimming downstream the flooded river because they got washed in during down pour down the steep river banks and mountain side. Scary to have a mess of snakes and their sidewinding swimming strokes with their mouths wide open coming right at you! Funny now though. 

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276

I stumbled upon an older product yesterday that came with a bent plane in the shape of a rainbow - the promo said for "Curved Text" but I'm sure it would work for a rainbow and I'm wracking my brain trying to remember what product it came with. Ugh, I hate having a crappy memory. If I remember it I'll link it. Though I think any curved plane primitive Might work. :)

• cherpenbeckcherpenbeck Posts: 1,409

Just for fun: a real-wold lucky clover (oxalis, they can get fairly big)

clover.JPG
    648 x 486 - 122K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,709

our lawns were always full of clover growing up and lovely and soft to sit on but these days they all seem to go for those tough turfs that are drought resistant that are rough on the butt.

• melaniemelanie Posts: 763

Just for fun: a real-wold lucky clover (oxalis, they can get fairly big)

Wow, nice! And the four-leaf ones are really hard to find, which is double lucky when you find one.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,268

I stumbled upon an older product yesterday that came with a bent plane in the shape of a rainbow - the promo said for "Curved Text" but I'm sure it would work for a rainbow and I'm wracking my brain trying to remember what product it came with. Ugh, I hate having a crappy memory. If I remember it I'll link it. Though I think any curved plane primitive Might work. :)

There is a free morphing rainbow over at Most-Digital-Creations.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276

There is a free morphing rainbow over at Most-Digital-Creations.

Cool! I found it (second to the last item on the left): https://www.most-digital-creations.com/free_poser_poses_textures_morphs_props_26.htm

Thank you, Charlie!

Thanks for the rainbow.

In the 80s, for a month or so, you could get a real 4-leaf clover encased in a clear acrylic keychain in a box of Lucky Charms. It seems my name was on it so I must of saved some box tops. I'm not sure how they managed to get that many 4-leaf clovers though for all those cereal boxes; maybe they had a 4-leaf clover only hybrid to get all those. I lost my keychain years later swimming at Homosassa Springs, FL aka Weeki Wachee. frown

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

This is yet ANOTHER set that slipped through quality control (if that department even exists in Daz3D). Instead of appearing under Environment/Landscapes it's Environment/Landscape without the 's'.

And there is a partial rainbow, or, more correctly, a trapezoid with rainbow colours.

• OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123

So they're sham shamrocks?

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342

I'd like to know the shirt, pants, boots Ollie is wearing. Love the outfit and the bow tie.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932
    Spit said:

I'd like to know the shirt, pants, boots Ollie is wearing. Love the outfit and the bow tie.

I think it's this one: https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-house-brownie-outfit-for-genesis-8-males

Leana said:
    Spit said:

I think it's this one: https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-house-brownie-outfit-for-genesis-8-males

We need a 'Wee Willie Winkie' Victorian-style night shirt & night cap...