Millennium cat question...

McGyverMcGyver Posts: 6,995
edited October 2013 in The Commons

Edited original post...

Forget it, the question was stupid and so am I... It looks like the textures are included but they are not, I was fooled by the first line in the product description but checked out before reading the last sentence... very cheesy. There are no textures for this product but after googling this subject I found a nice FREE set at PlanIt3D... (Thank you PlanIt3D for making a bad day go easier).
So caveat emptor if you buy older DAZ stuff without fully reading the text to the last word.

But really... NO textures DAZ... not even one ratty stray cat gray?... Cheeeeeezy.

Edited again...

The textures are here if you need them... http://www.planit3d.com/source/poser/p_textures2.html

And edited again.... Special thanks to Lyne of Lyne's Creations, who actually made the MATS.

Post edited by McGyver on

Comments

• Mari-AnneMari-Anne Posts: 363
    edited December 1969

I have my Daz mats for the MilCat here:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library\Runtime\Libraries\Pose\MATMilenniumCat

All in all a total of 12 different materials

• Proxima ShiningProxima Shining Posts: 969
    edited December 1969

I am not sure if I recall this correctly, but I think the cat mats are a separate product, here in DAZ store.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 6,995
    edited October 2013

@ Mari-Anne- You must have bought the bundle or something, there are no textures that come with the Millennium Cat... There is no texture folder either... Just Geometries, Character and Pose... and the Pose folder does not contain MAT poses.
    Unless when you bought it it came with textures... I don't know... but when I downloaded it, that is all it came with... aside from the breed morphs, it is the same as the LE version...
    I gotta wonder why they would charge $14 for the set and not even include one stinking texture, but thats their business... whatever floats the boat.
    But anyway thanks for the info.

In case anyone is wondering, I erased my original post after I noticed the last sentence in the product description... "Textures shown are part of the Classic Cats Combo"... (It would be more beneficial to show a blank textureless cat in the promo though.), But anyway my OP was asking if the textures went missing or something... Alas they were never there.

@Proxima Shining- Yeah, I sorta figured that out... Slowly... I suppose that is how they did stuff like that back then, but the promo image sort of implies there are at least 3 cat textures included... The text however does later state that those are part of "Classic Cats Combo"... My bad for not reading the last sentence.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Did you get the mill cat bundle? That has all the mats in it, and isn't very much more expensive than the plain mill cat, especially as it's 50% off at the moment

edited December 1969

No, but thanks chohole... I just needed a little cat "mascot" to be sitting on the roof of a hover-car for a promo render I was making... the cat is tiny in the image, but I was determined to get one in there... the Poser cat just looked terrible no matter which way I put it (bends weird?) and when I downloaded the MilCat I got confused... easy with me.
    Yeah, besides... I'm not a PC club member anymore.

• Proxima ShiningProxima Shining Posts: 969
    edited December 1969

There is the Millenium Cat item, which is a "naked" cat without textures.

Then there is the Classic Cats Combo, which is mats only item.

And then there is the most economical Millenium Cat Bundle, which contains both abovementioned products. For some strange reason this one is incredibly cheap, especially if you compare it to the Combo bundle.

For me, this all is very strange. The Millenium Cat should contain everything that is in Millenium Cat Bundle, a texture-less cat simply does not make any sense.

• SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,681
    edited October 2013

I use those free textures as well but in the future I need other to buy the oned at DAZ as Lyn's textures aren't for commercial use.
    Those textures were created with the aid of her own cats by the way ^^
    I have been wondering about all these different mil cat items as wel.
    These seems to be 2 of the same mil cat in the store onke one of them had the addiction LE to it but I couldn't discover a difference with the free one.

Post edited by Sylvan on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Estroyer said:
    I use those free textures as well but in the future I need other to buy the oned at DAZ as Lyn's textures aren't for commercial use.
    These seems to be 2 of the same mil cat in the store onke one of them had the addiction LE to it but I couldn't discover a difference with the free one.

The LE version has fewer morphs -- the full version has breed morphs, more head morphs, and body morphs.

edited October 2013

Le has no Breed morphs etc, is just the basic cat.

And honestly if you want to buy the textures do buy the bundle rather than the tex packs separately. Looking at the prices will show you what I maen. THe Mill cat bundle is only $19.95 and the bundle of cat materials, Classic cats bundle is the same price.. So by buying the mill cat bundle you get the morphing cat free.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

Estroyer said:

I'm not going to dispute what you say, but I went back to Lyne's site and I did not see anything that said "no commercial renders"... I checked the Readmes and they only say "No redistribution or selling" of the files.
    But in the event you are right, I chose not to use them, even though the render is to be used as a promo for a freebie of mine and is therefor not a commercial render.
    I did accidentally find a substitute cat, since I intitially wanted a kitten anyway... I found it in RDNA's Freebie section, its a standalone figure named "Kitty Cat"... Its by Yanelis3D: http://forum.runtimedna.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=836
    The readme specifically says:
    "LICENCE:
    COMMERCIAL USE:
    YOU MAY USE THIS ITEM ON COMMERCIAL RENDERS, ILLUSTRATIONS, ANIMATIONS, AND DEMOSTRATIONS. IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO GIVE CREDIT, PLEASE DO NOT CLAIM THIS ITEM AS YOUR CREATION."
    So I'm pretty sure that means its for commercial use...
    So in the end what was a minor detail ended up being a four hour adventure...
    edited December 1969

Here is what I wanted it for...

BT-51.jpg
    1000 x 684 - 245K
    edited December 1969

Ooh, that's a swish vehicle

edited December 1969

I read it on Lyn's website where I got the textures from. Perhaps that info was outdated. I am on my phone now but I am curious enough to look into it tomorrow.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552
    edited October 2013

Last I checked some of Lynn's stuff us okay for commercial use with attribution. I've stopped using freebie content though. It don't want to keep track of licensing of free content which may or may not be clear or which could change. Not saying hers is unclear. Just that I recently decided to rid myself of most freebie content due to licensing issues.

I would like to see a new mil cat. Mil cat is looking a bit dated.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited October 2013

my free Milcat LE had a tabby texture
    not easy to find though but was there was in free bundle of animals I think is no longer in store

I since bought all of em

I even did my own with 3D paint in Carrara

Model-Color.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 349K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited December 1969

Actually, I'm wondering about something... I never asked this and I don't recall ever reading a post where someone asked this (not to say this has not been covered 10,652 times- so I suppose this is a dumb question)...
    Older DAZ models used to come with "Templates"... They seem to match up with the UV maps... I assumed they were there if you wished to make your own textures. What is the policy about that? Say if I base a texture for the MillCat on that template (its under "resources" on the product page)... is it okay to post that as a freebie, or is that a No-no?
    I'm starting to get familiar with making MAT Poses (so far just for Poser), so if I made a MillCat texture I'd want share it.

edited December 1969

And of course I am unable to find the non-commercial statement about Lyne's textures ><<br /> What I did find, was a statement where she said she didn't want her textures to be SOLD through a commecial site.
    So I guess I mixed up "used" and " sold"...

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

But really... NO textures DAZ... not even one ratty stray cat gray?... Cheeeeeezy.

You will find that with a lot of the older animals - try the Mildragon2 - or don't ... LOL

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited December 1969

I always assumed that is what templates indeed are for.

edited December 1969

That would be good... and so have I, but I never confirmed it. I hope so.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited December 1969

Yes, templates are there to be painted over and may be used for producing commercial and freebie textures.

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,209
    edited December 1969

Also, you could check on Renderosity free section, Arma Vision created a number of textures that look rather nice. Just go to search and type in Cat.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991
    edited October 2013

And if you'd like a free kitten morph for the Mill Cat:
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/rrfilelock/download.php?fileid=42301&key=2124

Kitten.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 273K
    Post edited by TJohn on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,091
    edited December 1969

This is Lyne's 2013 EULA that came with several of her freebies - note that, apart from submissions to E-ON, it states that renders and animations are OK for personal and commercial use...

Lynes-2013-Licence.jpg
    1215 x 771 - 201K
    edited December 1969

I've been away from my computer since I was last here, I just saw all the replies and I wanted to say thanks to everyone... great kitten morph! and loads of kitty textures too! Thanks a lot... I might redo the kitten for the promo, tjohn's looks more like what I had in mind!
    Thanks again for all the replies!

• agdepagdep Posts: 0
    edited November 2013

Estroyer said:

The LE version has fewer morphs -- the full version has breed morphs, more head morphs, and body morphs.

Edit, find the brred morphs, no Angora. The breeds, it's the same ugly cat, only skinnier...I don't like it...

Post edited by agdep on
    edited December 1969

agdep said:
    Estroyer said:

I would like to know where are these breed morphs. Serously I can´t find them. I had the LE version, bought the full version (for something like an Angora race), and standing in the viewport it's the same LE version, select the head, yes, many morphs, selected the figure (Millenium Cat), no one morph...it's some kind of joke?

In Poser I find them on the parameter dials/sliders. select the cat and they are under body

• ColemanRughColemanRugh Posts: 511
    edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    And if you'd like a free kitten morph for the Mill Cat:
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/rrfilelock/download.php?fileid=42301&key=2124

Very cool Tjohn!!