Taiga - issue with hair

HaruchaiHaruchai Posts: 1,884
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hope someone can help with this. I just installed Taiga and I am having an issue with hair on her.

No matter what hair I try I am getting distortion around the eyes - see pics.

No issues with any other characters. I am guessing there is maybe some eye morph misbehaving. Also, not sure this is a general issue as I can't find a thread where this is mentioned by anyone else.

DS 4.0.3.47

Comments

• ThorneThorne Posts: 169
    edited December 1969

I have addressed this issue before-- it is caused by DAZ Studio's auto-fitting feature adding extra morphs into the hair. These morphs need to be turned off and then a bit of scaling done to fit Taiga. I created a fit pose for that purpose which was posted in the old forum. I am going now to see if I can locate that post and will post again once I find the link. It's really an easy fix. Stay tuned! :)

• HaruchaiHaruchai Posts: 1,884
    edited December 1969

Thorne said:
    I have addressed this issue before-- it is caused by DAZ Studio's auto-fitting feature adding extra morphs into the hair. These morphs need to be turned off and then a bit of scaling done to fit Taiga. I created a fit pose for that purpose which was posted in the old forum. I am going now to see if I can locate that post and will post again once I find the link. It's really an easy fix. Stay tuned! :)

Thanks Thorne. Did a search for 'Taiga' both here and via Google site search for the old site but didn't turn anything up.

Appreciate the help.

• ThorneThorne Posts: 169
    edited July 2012

I finally found the post- absolutely NOTHING works on the archive forum, including the search feature. If it weren't for a little fairy magic I'd never have found it, lol.

http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=185903

Since this is likely to come up again, I'm going to repost the relevant information here. The link to the old post shows that it was specific to a certain hair model but the fix should work (might require minor tweaking on the scaling/translations part) on any hair model (since this forum does not have the nice formatting features that the old forum had, it isn't as neat but all the information is here):

------------------------------------------

(hair fit pose download at the end of this post)

This problem is with all custom morphs for Genesis, not just Taiga. The morphs in the hair are added automatically by DS when you apply the "Fit To" function; they were not added by the developer. These auto generated morphs will have to be turned off, as was explained above, in order to avoid these fitting problems. The DAZ Studio "Fit To" function will try to fit something to something else, no matter if it screws up the shape or not.

To fix the problem with the Chelsea hair or any hair on Taiga:

Load the hair.

Fit the hair to Taiga by using the Fit To parameter under the Parameters:Misc tab, or by selecting the hair, right clicking, and selecting "Fit To" from the subsequent drop down menu.

In the case of the Chelsea hair, it loads with a smoothing modifier already attached but disabled. Just leave it that way as it is not required.

You'll have to give DS a minute to do it's fitting thing, at which point you will see the distortions shown in the original post. (There will be a little progress bar at the lower right of the screen). This is easily fixable but as I pointed out, this is created by DAZ studio for all morphs used whether custom or not, as part of the Fit To function which is extreme. These added morph targets to the hair are NOT part of the original hair figure. They are 100% added by DAZ Studio's auto-fit function.

Under the Parameters tab, select "Currently Used". You will see that DS has now created new morphs in the hair for the custom Taiga morph as well as for the Genesis generic slaved morphs, PHMLashesHideLayer, PBMBreastsHeavy, and FBMBasicChild.

Turn OFF (set to 0%) the Taiga morph, the PHMEyelashesHideLayer, and the PBMBreastsHeavy morphs. Leave ON the FBMBasicChild as this only affects scaling and is therefore needed.

Finally, select the Hair in the Scene tab. Go to the Parameters:General:Transforms:Scale tab and set the master scale parameter to 92% (it will be at 86.8% for Taiga).

Go back to the Scene tab and select the ChelseaHair:Hip body part. Now under the Parameters:General:Transforms:Translation tab, set the yTrans parameter for the hip to -3.80. This will place the hair in about the right position for Taiga.

A Note About Fitting 3D Figure Models:

The DS auto-fit function is similar to the conform to function in Poser- once an item is fitted or conformed the body translations will no longer work (but the scaling will). Most items will have a hip body part however and this is the part you will need to select in order to move the figure.

Any of these parameters can be adjusted to achieve the look you are going for. Welcome to the world of 3D.

If you'd rather not get that much into it, I have created a pose file that will do all the above for you. UnZIP to your DAZ Studio Library and it will be in in your Content Library tab in the Presets:Characters:Thorneworks:Taiga folder. Be sure to apply the pose AFTER auto-conforming the hair to Taiga.

http://www.ichloe.com/dollies/TaigaHairFitsPose.zip

Post edited by Thorne on
  • HaruchaiHaruchai Posts: 1,884
    edited December 1969

Thank you for going to so much trouble. Have downloaded and will read and digest.

Really glad the fairy magic is still doing it's stuff :)

• jade monkeyjade monkey Posts: 111
    edited December 1969

thank you for the tips, and the pose file!

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited December 1969

Why is it that some hair the morphs work on certain hair sets and other do nothing when u dial up? Talking bout hair under the character library. The ones from hair library work fine.

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited July 2012

Nevermind. Just remembered you must open it in poser and resave with use external binary morph targets unticked:)

Post edited by Zev0 on