More Non-photorealisitic Renders (NPR II)

Comments

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,528

Good example on what "Poster Edges" can do. Thanks for the tip.

• vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297
    Artini said:

Good example on what "Poster Edges" can do. Thanks for the tip.

No problem. 

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    Artini said:

thanks for the heasdup Martirilla

and

thank you mmitchell_houston  for the kind c and c

Currently I have a finished book that I need to restyle the images to make them less 3d looking - so I have been working toward a style for a few weeks now.

This is from the current Carrara challenge. The lead story says it all. Couple of K4's

Image may contain: people sitting and indoor

Image may contain: people sitting

Excellent images - hard to decide, which one, I like the best.

thank you Artini :)

edited February 2019

Carrara piece from last year reworked to the skin of its teeth

Below brief fling with Genesis - Filter Forge et PhotoDonut - interesting bringing old water colour skills intil the digital medium

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited February 2019

More fun with DIS's free toon shader and two flavors of photoshop postwork.

Full Panel.png
    1414 x 900 - 2M
    Full Panel 2.png
    1414 x 900 - 2M
    Post edited by vrba79 on

Been sick today, so I'm posting a bunch of art, seeing as I'm kind of stationary.

This time it's catgirl Joy as a Sword and Sorcery style chracter. I might have fudged the blur, but I need the practice doing action shots.

Rawr2A.png
    554 x 1257 - 1M
  • tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532

Did this one as a special request.  A bit outside my usual, but I'm pleased how it turned out.

Love Knows No Bounds (by request) by tkdrobert

Very nice!

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532
    vrba79 said:

Very nice!

Thanks.  When I was 1st asked to do this, I didn't know how I was going to do it.  I didn't think I had enough fantasy assets.  Most of the items I used in this render, I got for free.  I think it turned out nice.  The requester only specified that they wanted a voluptuous, warrior woman with metal bikini armor kissing a dragon.  I might start doing comissions at some point to fund additional model purchases.

vrba79 said:

second one's a beauty - I see you posted about poster edges?? this webinar by Tasos Anastasiades prof of graphic design in Cypress has some gems

tkdrobert said:

Did this one as a special request.  A bit outside my usual, but I'm pleased how it turned out.

lovely composition, reminds me very much of some of  Odilon Redon's work

tkdrobert said:

lovely composition, reminds me very much of some of  Odilon Redon's work

edited February 2019

bit of fluff so i can narrow down a workflow

carrara render worked up with the various native render passes 

Post edited by Headwax on
  • tkdrobert said:

Very cute. And I see what you mean about it being outside your norm... if I saw this "in the wild," based on the subject matter alone I would have never guessed you were the artist. 

You mentioned not having many fantasy resources. That's something I'm learning these days: if you see a sale, think about the possibility of future projects. I'm glad I did, as I had enough Sci-Fi resources on hand for two projects coming up. I still had to do some key purchases for alien figures, but in general I'm about halfway where I needed to be, rather than starting from scratch and having to scramble to get the resources I need.

But, you know... saying that, even though I can do superhero, sci-fi, steampunk and  generic fantasy,  if I had to do a Mech project, I'd be pretty much behind the eightball.

• vrba79 said:

A couple of my D|S "Toon shading for broke ass artists" method renders. A while back I compiled a nifty PDF tutorial on how to use it. The shader's own outlines suck, so I tend to disable them. One way to get an good outline with it is to use the geometry shell trick, but I decided to see what I could do with postwork instead, and this two step process worked rather well! It entailed rendering the image oversized(2x in this case), Applying "Poster Edges" with 5,1,6 settings then resizing the image(down 50%).

I'm glad to hear that you got good results by working 2-up (twice the size of the final image). That's one thing I keep bumping into with a LOT of digital artists who are upset with their results: they don't work large enough. Every single professional comics artist I talk to works with images at 600-1200 dpi, and they all say that you need the extra pixels to work with. And many of the amatuers I talk to work very small and then complain about how they are not getting the results they want. For myself, in Clip Studio Paint (aka Manga Studio) I find I can't get any results worth looking at when I work under 600 dpi (of course, that probably has to do more with my pen settings than anything else, but still...).

Anyway, just wanted to say that this process seems to have worked for you.

BTW: Did you get her jawline from poser edges, or is that hand drawn?

• Just had an urge to experiment, because you are all so inspirational!  Sorry, it's chibi people, because that was the last file I worked on :-)  Used a variety of Filter Forge filters, and photoshop to composite.

• mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited February 2019

Just had an urge to experiment, because you are all so inspirational!  Sorry, it's chibi people, because that was the last file I worked on :-)  Used a variety of Filter Forge filters, and photoshop to composite.

Nice first effort (and no one here objects to Chibi, at least as far as I know!). This is very cute and you got some good line definition on the hair and her skin (a bit soft but that's par for the course, really, with this type of treatment). 

Did you do the background and foreground together? I'm seeing a few artifacts here and there that make me think so. In general, you will get better results if you do the foreground and background separately, as it lets you fine-tune your effects better. Nevertheless, great first effort.

Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
  • Thank you for the feedback!  Yes, you have a discriminating eye, they were together (as it was preexisting render).  I will keep working on the style/technique... I watch a lot of anime, but in my head they are all dimensional!

"BTW: Did you get her jawline from poser edges, or is that hand drawn?" That was from the poster edges.
  • vrba79 said:
    "BTW: Did you get her jawline from poser edges, or is that hand drawn?" That was from the poster edges.

Heh. Thanks for ignoring my typo: "poser edges," indeed. I did mean "poster edges." And I'm impressed. Usually poster edges delivers softer lines.

edited February 2019
    vrba79 said:

Heh. Thanks for ignoring my typo: "poser edges," indeed. I did mean "poster edges." And I'm impressed. Usually poster edges delivers softer lines.

Well as it turns out I accidentally left a fine outline on. But when I managed to turn it off and do a render without it, then ran them both through photoshop, the results were extremely close. There's a difference, but its a fine one. So it does add a decent, mostly even outline, regardless.

tests.png
    1085 x 645 - 702K
    Post edited by vrba79 on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276
    vrba79 said:

second one's a beauty - I see you posted about poster edges?? this webinar by Tasos Anastasiades prof of graphic design in Cypress has some gems

Excellent video! Thank you for posting it. I don't use Poser but it give me some ideas. :)

• vrba79 said:
    vrba79 said:

Well as it turns out I accidentally left a fine outline on. But when I managed to turn it off and do a render without it, then ran them both through photoshop, the results were extremely close. There's a difference, but its a fine one. So it does add a decent, mostly even outline, regardless.

Subtle, but important difference! Thanks for the tip.

• I'm going to buy Topaz Studio tonight.

Not that it matters, but does anyone know of any coupons or discounts (or referral bonuses) available? If so, post or PM me.

Thanks!

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276

This is the style I'd LOVE to be able to achieve with my renders:

• This is the style I'd LOVE to be able to achieve with my renders:

Okay, I gotta thing for that type of music. Not always, but I'm definitely in the mood right now. And that image at around :30 is FANTASTIC.

edited March 2019
    vrba79 said:
    vrba79 said:

Repeated the process and got the same result. I guess the mix of that particular shader, with that particular lighting plays well with that particular postwork effect.

vrba79 said:
    vrba79 said:

Subtle, but important difference! Thanks for the tip.

No problem, I'm just glad that it wasn't a fluke and is repeatable. Given that the shader itself is free, and since even Gimp has Poster Edges, the look can be had for the low low price of $0.00!

Post edited by vrba79 on
    edited March 2019

Quick test from iClone 7 with toon effect.

studio02pic05RrightSharp.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 411K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited March 2019

Another test from iClone 7. As usual, the light has a big impact on the render. This one is with the directional light.

studio04pic03.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 504K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited March 2019

Painterly effects on the cover. Thoughts? Too much? Not enough? Colors?

What about the new composition with the gun between them? I think it's better, but I'm concerned about the dead space to the left. Thoughts?

This is the full mock up with cover edges.

This one includes only a ghost of the text so you can focus more on the image, but still figure out where the text will go.

Combined-Proof-01-1200.jpg
    1200 x 909 - 382K
    Combined-Proof-01faded-1200.jpg
    1200 x 909 - 363K
    Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
This discussion has been closed.