Some confusion about LEGACY installers. (Solved, probably.)

linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,303
edited November 2013 in Daz Studio Discussion

edited and removed by user

Post edited by linvanchene on

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

There are some people who still use DS 4 and many who still use DS 3. Even Some who use DS4 or DS 4.5 for some work, will go back to using DS 3 for other work.

• linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    There are some people who still use DS 4 and many who still use DS 3. Even Some who use DS4 or DS 4.5 for some work, will go back to using DS 3 for other work.

The DS3 part I understand in so far that many addons and plugins were released that were not converted.
    But the DS3 users can use neither CORE nor LEGACY installers. Therefore LEGACY installers are not released for the DS 3 users.

- - -

I do not understand the DS4 part. I purchased allmost all DS4 addon, plugin products and I cannot think of any that I would miss in DS4.5.

I remember that I was rather not happy not having GenX around at launch of DS4.5 but what else is there that was crucial to any DS4 workflow that is still not available in DS4.5?

So what is it that keeps people from upgrading to a free DS4.5 pro version?

It really must be something extremely important if it raises the need to provide LEGACY installers. Which feature am I missing here'? I am sincerly puzzled at this whole LEGACY - CORE thing. I obviously was absent from the forum for too long that I do not know about it o.O

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,835
    edited December 1969

Fear, ignorance and the fact most of the user base are completely computer illiterate, so the idea of jumping through a few hoops scares the **** out of them.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Lower spec computer, no funds to get a new one tends to be the most common reason, but there are others.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Bear in mind that I doubt anyone is creating Legacy versions for content being built in DS4.5; the products that have Legacy installers are ones that predate 4.5, so the older version already exists.

• MBuschMBusch Posts: 547
    edited December 1969

I think would be more productive make an incremental upgrade for DS3 and DS4 to support the new DSON file format. The new file specification could be supported at least by DS4, once DAZ has deprecated support to DS3. Does it make sense?

edited November 2012

Thank you all for your inputs! They have given me a good overview over different perspectives.

Bear in mind that I doubt anyone is creating Legacy versions for content being built in DS4.5; the products that have Legacy installers are ones that predate 4.5, so the older version already exists.

Interestingly enough my last shoping spree seems to confirm that.

The result of that statisticly probably not representative sample yield mixed results:

- The large majority of those products seem to have CORE, LEGACY and Poser Companion files.

- The texture sets I purchased for the Hio Bundle have CORE and Poser Companion files.

- The dynamic clothing like Dynamic Sailor Girl comes only in LEGACY version.
    (Its seems to be a specific file type of its own anyway.)

- Some files are neither CORE nor LEGACY but just old school Gen4 like "Dinner Food"

- Cloud City was an interesting one:
    CORE and POSER Companion files.
    A special obj version called GENERAL CONTENT - gc in short. that was a new one for me.
    but no legacy version

- Cyborg V4 came with a special naming convention called POSER CORE
    At first I was not sure what that was supposed to be and am still not.
    Its not really a Genesis version sow how can it be CORE?
    Its more like old school Gen4 as well.

- Dark Embrace was the first product I downloaded to only features a DSON CORE version

And how was the metadata done?

Oh well

- Addison that I grabbed as "free" product by spending more than 30 had half way done metadata included.
    File type and categorization was not done so it would not show up in Smart Content or Tabs

- Urban Future 4 Psy District had no metadata at all included

- Curator Aquarum had no metadata at all included

- Stephanie 5 Elite Texture Joanie was missing the preview image in the /runtime/support folder so no preview image would show up in smart content

FAZIT:

17 products purchased 4 of them are missing features after installation.

This sample is right about representative of my other latest shoping experiences. About a quarter of the products I install seem to be missing metadata features when installed.

- - -

What seems sure is that shopping at the DAZ store has become more and more complex with different file types and different software versions supported.

I really hope this transitoin phase with a lot of updating of file types and metadata will sort itself out soon.

Post edited by linvanchene on
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

If there's one thing I learned from this thread it's that Daz is a smaller company. Given that I've been using Daz products for as long as I can remember, I'd always imagined this massive team with hundreds of artists and developers. Just makes me admire their work all the more.

On-topic though, I don't see any harm with them supporting their earlier software though I can understand the frustration at losing the metadata on your installs. There are a lot of reasons why people choose not to upgrade, so continuing to support their paying customers is only good business practice.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I still use DS3A for most NONE Genesis renders and other reasons, Plugins not updated to DS4 being one of the big ones. The Legacy installers are Perfect for me because they do not contain data I do not NEED on my HDD in DS3.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I still use DS3A for most NONE Genesis renders and other reasons, Plugins not updated to DS4 being one of the big ones. The Legacy installers are Perfect for me because they do not contain data I do not NEED on my HDD in DS3.

Now I am confused again:

I thought LEGACY installers are for the "old" Generation 5 Genesis formats like .dsf / .dsa

The CORE installers contain the "new" DSON Generation 5 Genesis formats .duf.

Generation 4 content uses the .dpc / .ds installers. Is there also a cool word for those? Is POSER CORE the term that now is used for them?

( I noticed that term being used for the V4 compatible Cyborg V4)
    As far as I understood Genesis cannot be used with DS3 at all. So I do not understand how you would be able to find any use for LEGACY installers for DS3?

I thought the main reason from upgrading Generation 5 content from .dsf / .dsa was that Poser users can now use the new .duf files with some Poser Companion files. But all that really has nothing to do with DS3 at all.

hmm is there a sticky somewhere that gives an overview of the different file types and the terms used?

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited November 2012

I was talking about the OLDER content that has has been updated. Not the Genesis Items. I've had Five of my older content come in the three File format when I did a Reset for them.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • MBuschMBusch Posts: 547
    edited November 2012

Jaderail said:

Now I am confused again:

I thought LEGACY installers are for the "old" Generation 5 Genesis formats like .dsf / .dsa

The CORE installers contain the "new" DSON Generation 5 Genesis formats .duf.

Generation 4 content uses the .dpc / .ds installers. Is there also a cool word for those? Is POSER CORE the term that now is used for them?

( I noticed that term being used for the V4 compatible Cyborg V4)
    As far as I understood Genesis cannot be used with DS3 at all. So I do not understand how you would be able to find any use for LEGACY installers for DS3?

I thought the main reason from upgrading Generation 5 content from .dsf / .dsa was that Poser users can now use the new .duf files with some Poser Companion files. But all that really has nothing to do with DS3 at all.

hmm is there a sticky somewhere that gives an overview of the different file types and the terms used?

There are one here: DSON File Format Specification. The .duf files are not exclusive to Genesis figure, indeed is a new file format to hold since a Figure/Prop asset to Material/Poses/Shapes presets.

Unfortunately some new installers for DS brings the assets and presets in the 2 flavors: the old .daz and .ds or .dsa, and the the new .duf. The new installers for the GIS series or Moonshine series as example. It is annoying, because at least you have 2 files of each prop and preset present in the product. Worse, if you decide delete the .daz directly from your content library the .png preview file gone together because it is shared by both files, the .duf and the .daz.

Post edited by MBusch on
  • alpickrelalpickrel Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I just got a new computer...renders in less than 5 minutes what used to take 45 minutes. I installed only Daz Studio Pro 4.6 for 64 bit. I am using this new install manager to down load products I have accumulated over the last two years...back when i was using version 4 and 4.5 on the older computer. I still am a novice with this program and am still finding new surprises every time I open it to play with it. Good surprises and confusing ones. (I just figured out how to build a replica of Michael 4 using genesis base figure. I just figured out that all those "duplicate entries" in content library and smart content panes are not duplicates, but refer to different file extensions and products that work with different versions and different programs that use the same picture icon. Big step for me.) AND I do NOT use any other 3d modeling program....yet. I do not use Poser.

Just read all this thread. It came up when I searched the word "legacy"

My question, using the install manger I put everything I thought i needed from previous products on the new machine. I did NOT install any of the legacy versions. Given the above information, I assume I will not need them. Is this correct?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

That's correct, the Legacy version is for DS releases before 4.5