More Non-photorealisitic Renders (NPR II)

Comments

• vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297

More of Catgirl Joy

A combination of PWToon without outlines, and my Smooth paint postwork method.

J.png
    486 x 1263 - 507K
  • vrba79 said:

More of Catgirl Joy

Very cute. I like the results you get with your apprach – it has a nice anime cel-shader look.

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532
    tkdrobert said:

F15 Strike Eagle by tkdrobert

Another striking illustration. Y'know, at some point yer gonna hafta take that "Daz Noob" out of yer signature! ;-)

I think you're right.

• tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:

Another striking illustration. Y'know, at some point yer gonna hafta take that "Daz Noob" out of yer signature! ;-)

I think you're right.

HUZZAH! It now reads "DAZ3D Artist: Intermediate."  A new day has dawned!

tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:

I think you're right.

LOL.  I forgot I had DAZ noob in my sig until you pointed it out.  I still have a lot to learn, but yeah, not a noob anymore.

• tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:

I think you're right.

LOL.  I forgot I had DAZ noob in my sig until you pointed it out.  I still have a lot to learn, but yeah, not a noob anymore.

Yup. You might say, A noob day has dawned!

• what type of lights are people using in pwtoon? I try everything in distant lights and the models always looks like it has to much shadows or to dark.

• Do you have some examples? And what presets are you using? The shadows of the surfaces can be set to be lighter or darker. You could use a second distant light, but in general I think you will probably get better results with adjusting the shader settings than changing the lighting. But depending on what settings you are using, you will want to make different adjustments.

edited February 2019

what type of lights are people using in pwtoon? I try everything in distant lights and the models always looks like it has to much shadows or to dark.

When I use PWToon, my lights depend on the settings I'm using for the shader. That latest example with the catgirl featured a slightly -X angled distance light, set to 100% intensity, with no shadows. And a second distance light set to diffuse only, at 45% intensity sitting at Y axis +128 degrees. I then parent both lights ot a camera, so I get the exact lightng at any angle I render the image at..

Post edited by vrba79 on
    vrba79 said:

More of Catgirl Joy

Very cute. I like the results you get with your apprach – it has a nice anime cel-shader look.

Thanks. I'm experimenting with it to see if its a viable process for an entire comic project.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

congrats @mmitchell_houston  - great news !

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

My approach to lighting PWToon is to use AOA Distant + Ambient light, with occlusion shut off on the Ambient.

The distant light gives shadow and basic lighting, the ambient essentially 'fills in' base color, so I can tweak the baseline as I want. (It's possible to do this with each surface by changing the Shadow color, but that's... 1000x more work for no good reason)

• vrba79 said:
    vrba79 said:

More of Catgirl Joy

Thanks. I'm experimenting with it to see if its a viable process for an entire comic project.

If I may make a recommendation based on my own experience, once you have moderate confidence in the process (and I think you're there) you need to start making comic pages. Even if they are throw-away pages. I suggest this because you won't know how viable your process is until you start making sequential pictures and see if you can keep a consistent look from panel to panel. I learned very quickly in my b&w work that I needed to be very specific about my render dimensions, otherwise the width of my lines varied too much from panel to panel. 

In your case, I think you will need to focus on keeping your shadows consistent from panel to panel in terms of darkness and general appearance. 

If you try this, make sure you include a page that has the figure in long shot, medium and close-up. That will really give you a benchmark for moving forward.

And a last thought: I made two superhero pages for a comic I never finished, but it taught me so much in regards to addressing backgrounds and using 3D characters in a composed comic page. I feel that my art really grew from this point and the effort provided me with a leap forward that I would not have experienced if I had not made actual comic pages, rather than separate, static pin-ups. 

Good luck, I look forward to seeing what you do next.

PS: I'm not going to repost those comic pages (I've shown it here several times), but here's a link to one of them if you're interested: https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/181696 

vrba79 said:
    vrba79 said:

More of Catgirl Joy

If I may make a recommendation based on my own experience, once you have moderate confidence in the process (and I think you're there) you need to start making comic pages. Even if they are throw-away pages. I suggest this because you won't know how viable your process is until you start making sequential pictures and see if you can keep a consistent look from panel to panel. I learned very quickly in my b&w work that I needed to be very specific about my render dimensions, otherwise the width of my lines varied too much from panel to panel. 

In your case, I think you will need to focus on keeping your shadows consistent from panel to panel in terms of darkness and general appearance. 

If you try this, make sure you include a page that has the figure in long shot, medium and close-up. That will really give you a benchmark for moving forward.

And a last thought: I made two superhero pages for a comic I never finished, but it taught me so much in regards to addressing backgrounds and using 3D characters in a composed comic page. I feel that my art really grew from this point and the effort provided me with a leap forward that I would not have experienced if I had not made actual comic pages, rather than separate, static pin-ups. 

PS: I'm not going to repost those comic pages (I've shown it here several times), but here's a link to one of them if you're interested: https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/181696 

I used to do comics back in the day. I'm just out of practice.

vrba79 said:
    vrba79 said:

More of Catgirl Joy

Use Raytrace shadows, not deep shadows and see how that works for you.

tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:

I think you're right.

Yup. You might say, A noob day has dawned!

LMAO!

tkdrobert said:
    vrba79 said:
    vrba79 said:

More of Catgirl Joy

I wasn't even using shadows in that render. It just ended up looking like there are.

edited February 2019

Carrara Job

reworking an old render

Carrara native coverage pass for the pencil work

Daz horse, m4, carrara hair

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited February 2019

Another Carrara job

vrba79 said:
    tkdrobert said:
    vrba79 said:
    vrba79 said:

More of Catgirl Joy

I wasn't even using shadows in that render. It just ended up looking like there are.

I find Raytraced shadows works well with pwtoon.

Carrara Job

reworking an old render

Nice

Another Carrara job

Another good one.

thank you @tkdrobert  

just talking up Carrara ;)

love watching the images in this thread and how your work is evolving

• vrba79 said:
    vrba79 said:
    vrba79 said:

More of Catgirl Joy

I used to do comics back in the day. I'm just out of practice.

Then get thee back to the drawing board, bucko! 

• Carrara Job

reworking an old render

Very nice. This has a watercolor look that could easily pass for something handrawn. Honestly, the only thing that would make me suspicisous that this is 3D is that the Michael 4 anatomy (particularly the way the pec flows up into the arm) just looks so familair to me. Absolutely NOTHING wrong here, but it's just that I've seen that particular muscule configuration so many times in my own work that it just resonates in my memory. Man, you really have achieved a great style here! Please share more often.

• The MyClone Poser & Daz blog has returned, and has a lot that may interest those making comics with Poser and Daz Studio... http://www.jurn.org/dazposer/

edited February 2019

thanks for the heasdup Martirilla

and

thank you mmitchell_houston  for the kind c and c

Currently I have a finished book that I need to restyle the images to make them less 3d looking - so I have been working toward a style for a few weeks now.

This is from the current Carrara challenge. The lead story says it all. Couple of K4's

Image may contain: people sitting and indoor

Image may contain: people sitting

• The MyClone Poser & Daz blog has returned, and has a lot that may interest those making comics with Poser and Daz Studio... http://www.jurn.org/dazposer/

Interesting link. I had not seen this before.

I found his review of the new La Femme Poser figure to be the best I've read so far. Very useful info and it may well guide my decision to about whether to use/not use her in an upcoming project. 

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,528

thanks for the heasdup Martirilla

and

thank you mmitchell_houston  for the kind c and c

Currently I have a finished book that I need to restyle the images to make them less 3d looking - so I have been working toward a style for a few weeks now.

This is from the current Carrara challenge. The lead story says it all. Couple of K4's

Image may contain: people sitting and indoor

Image may contain: people sitting

Excellent images - hard to decide, which one, I like the best.

edited February 2019

A couple of my D|S "Toon shading for broke ass artists" method renders. A while back I compiled a nifty PDF tutorial on how to use it. The shader's own outlines suck, so I tend to disable them. One way to get an good outline with it is to use the geometry shell trick, but I decided to see what I could do with postwork instead, and this two step process worked rather well! It entailed rendering the image oversized(2x in this case), Applying "Poster Edges" with 5,1,6 settings then resizing the image(down 50%).

Test.png
    405 x 1205 - 598K
    Test2.png
    753 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by vrba79 on
This discussion has been closed.