Oh Yikes! My Content is all on C: partition!

Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
edited December 1969 in New Users

DIM has been installing all of my content on C: and I need to move it to a different partition.

I thought I had DIM set up correctly, but it's all gone to C:/Users/Public/Public Document/DAZ3D, so apparently I'm wrong!

I think I need to do the following steps:

1. Move my content to my app or data partition
2. Tell Carrara, Bryce, DS, Hexagon where it went
3. Tell DIM about the new location so that DIM will stop defiling my SSD system partition with application data

Anything I'm missing?

Comments

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,040
    edited December 1969

DIM has been installing all of my content on C: and I need to move it to a different partition.

I thought I had DIM set up correctly, but it's all gone to C:/Users/Public/Public Document/DAZ3D, so apparently I'm wrong!

I think I need to do the following steps:

1. Move my content to my app or data partition
    2. Tell Carrara, Bryce, DS, Hexagon where it went
    3. Tell DIM about the new location so that DIM will stop defiling my SSD system partition with application data

Anything I'm missing?

Um - yeah. All Bryce content has to go in/under the Bryce install directory - so if you don't want it on the C: drive you'll need to install Bryce on your D: (or whatever) drive. And Carrara is the same - Carrara content goes under the Carrara install directory.

As for DIM - click on the gear-wheel in the upper right, go to the Installation tab, and define the directory you want to use to replace the 'My Library' path -- I'm using D:\s4stuff\ because I'm grouping similar content into sub-directories (gen4, gen5 plants, animals . . that sort of thing)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I have to admit I would never allow the DIM to install Bryce content, in fact I never used to let the old installers do it either. I always ran them to a temp folder and moved the Content myself.

• NeilV_1NeilV_1 Posts: 442
    edited December 1969

once you have moved the folder contain all your content go in to DIM
    and click on the cog icon and go to installation
    select the current installation paths and click the - sign on the bottom of the screen then click the + sign to set up the New path,
    Dont forget to Go into Daz studio and set up the new new paths in the Content Directory manager.

You may also want to change the download location for DIM this can be set in the in the Downloads tab on the settings (I have mine set to my spare drive rather than my C)

Daz-CDM.jpg
    488 x 521 - 116K
    DIM-2.jpg
    551 x 702 - 139K
    DIM-1.jpg
    551 x 702 - 206K
  • Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited December 1969

Thank you all, I will try this tonight after my work and other commitments are complete. Much appreciated!

Cohole, I use DIM because it helps manage everything and I already have nearly 400 products in my library. Nearly all from bundles, of course, but DIM helps keep things straight and I'm fine with it for Bryce stuff as long as I can make sure it goes to someplace other than C:. It looks like the advice above should help me ensure that. Also, I kind of see Bryce as falling to the wayside in my usage, only because DAZ has let it fall to their wayside. That's unfortunate because Bryce is a great tool and it was my first. But Bryce has been slow to get upgrades, can't use all of my CPU cores, seems to have a fussy remote rendering function, and maybe the biggest problem of all, it's difficult to get DAZ and Poser characters into/out of Bryce; much easier with other programs.

edited December 1969

Hello.

Before moving the folders wholesale, I thought I would try to uninstall and reinstall a couple of products after setting the DIM install folders to the new location. I tried this with Victoria 1 and Victoria 2 since they're so old they should be pretty harmless if I screw them up. This seemed to work, but I can't seem to get DS to "see" the content, not even after adjusting the Content Manager's folders to match those I set within DIM.

Part of the problem seems to be that DS can't see the content in its old location on the C: anyway. I realized this just now; none of the content is there except for V4/M4, and V5/M5 and they're not even in the smart content tab. When I click on smart content tab, it shows nothing in the left side windowpane, just options to watch videos on smart content (aka old name was "My Stuff" tab). I have tried to find it with both "Products" and "Files". That windowpane still appears blank with no content in it.

I'm sure this is something simple, but I'm just not getting it right now. This was always an issue with Poser too, I remember; but I am sure DIM will help me keep things straight once I get it properly set up. Will keep trying.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hello.

Before moving the folders wholesale, I thought I would try to uninstall and reinstall a couple of products after setting the DIM install folders to the new location. I tried this with Victoria 1 and Victoria 2 since they're so old they should be pretty harmless if I screw them up. This seemed to work, but I can't seem to get DS to "see" the content, not even after adjusting the Content Manager's folders to match those I set within DIM.

Part of the problem seems to be that DS can't see the content in its old location on the C: anyway. I realized this just now; none of the content is there except for V4/M4, and V5/M5 and they're not even in the smart content tab. When I click on smart content tab, it shows nothing in the left side windowpane, just options to watch videos on smart content (aka old name was "My Stuff" tab). I have tried to find it with both "Products" and "Files". That windowpane still appears blank with no content in it.

I'm sure this is something simple, but I'm just not getting it right now. This was always an issue with Poser too, I remember; but I am sure DIM will help me keep things straight once I get it properly set up. Will keep trying.

That is because You have A CMS Database for the Old folder. You may need to Import Metadata in the NEW folder to get the PATH into the Database.
    edited December 1969

I don't know what you mean by that...DS isn't even seeing the so-called "old folder".

Look, it's no big deal to start this all over from scratch if I need to. DIM makes it easy to "uninstall" all content and re-install it. I still have the downloads intact, so the process should go very quickly.

I just saw a thread on setting up your content your way or something like that, so I'm going to review it before I do anything drastic, but even with the drastic, I don't think I will permanently break anything. It's not working correctly at the moment anyhow, haha! :lol:

edited December 1969

I have copied my content over to another drive partition, renamed the original folder on C: so that I can be sure that it's not being used (before I delete it), and then I reconfigured DS4 so that content would point to the new location.

Still could not find any content, so next I uninstalled DS4 and reinstalled it, then re-pointed the content location. This was slightly better because now I see some folders in the content tab. But not much better because the folders are empty and I still cannot select any actual characters outside of Genesis female.

This should be a lot easier than it is. I can't even "find a person" to put in my DS workspace except for two Genesis female sample characters; one with pants and one with shorts. Finding anything seems needlessly difficult because there are too many confusing folders, folder paths that end up in dead-ends, and folders that don't give you what you think you should be seeing. You click on Victoria 4 and all you get are poses and no actual character or "actor" to select. What, why is that?

Specific examples: In "My DAZ 3D Library" under "People", good luck finding any people. The Victoria 4 folder only contains folders for clothing (V4 Domino only, whatever that is), materials, and poses, but no person. Michael 4 only has folders for Clothing and Materials, and nothing else. To make matters even worse, Michael 4 folder has clothing/materials/epsilon and also a whole 'nother "Materials" folder NEXT TO clothing. Why two empty "Materials" folders in different places?

Under "Runtime" (I only looked because I hear that term all the time) I see some folders plus "Texture" and also "Textures". Now I ask this with all seriousness. WTF?

Most of these folders have nothing in them. "People" should show me "people", right? Or call them Actors, I don't care. But when "People" only shows me poses or something, that's just weird and illogical.

I have nearly 400 things in my library and I can't find even a dozen of them, how funny is that? Can't find any people/characters/actors except for two sample Genesis 2 Female figures. That's it. A reinstall of DS4 actually allows me to see a few more things than before, but no way can I find my entire library, and no people or animals.

I fear I need some help and tutorials aren't getting me beyond the clutter. I'm exhausted and now I'm starting to ramble.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

Michael and Victoria 4 are Poser format figures, so they live in Poser Formats>My DAZ 3D Library>Figures>DAZ People (assuming you installed them to My DAZ 3D Library). The stuff in the DS Formats People folder will only be the DAZ Studio format stuff, which on older items will be material settings and not the actual props and figures.

"Texture" would be a typo for "Textures" and should be reported as a bug.

edited December 1969

Thank you Richard, I will look again this evening.

edited December 1969

That folder structure does not exist on either my C partition nor my F partition (where I have been migrating stuff to). In fact, A search of these drive partitions for any folder or file named "figures" yields no hits.

edited December 1969

Update:

I have removed the C: folder paths from DAZ Studio and just left my F: paths in place. My F partition does contain a copy of what was in Public/documents/my daz library. Anyway, I can now see more of my purchased items inside of the Content Library, but still can't see everything and many things appear to be in the wrong places.

A couple of examples:

1. I still find only poses where I would expect to find "people".
    2. Under Poser Formats/My DAZ 3D Library/Pose, I see folders starting with "IDAZ", "IFREAK", "IMAT", and other thigns. They do not appear to be "poses" as I would expect, but instead appear to be materials, injection morphs, maps, and even clothing.

I do not know what half of this stuff even is, because this needs to be part of my learning process, not part of my setup process.

I suspect the database is somehow buggered up and I'm hoping that there might be a "refresh" or "reset" function for it (without clearing the contents, of course).

Failing that, can anybody tell me what the most common reason could be for finding stuff in the wrong folders within the content library?

edited September 2013

I'm making some progress now. It looks like my database may just be "mostly" intact. After stumbling over the knowledgebase on the DAZ site, I learned about the readme files, which apparently are... um, distrbuted? with each content item. I also found that in DIM, you can click on the little circled "i" icon and a browser page will open to the readme on DAZ3D.COM. I'm assuming that the readme HTML files on DAZ will be more current than those that are distributed with the content, especially legacy content that has been out for several years.

Anyway, I've begun reviewing the various readmes to learn where things live.

I suspect that the learning curve here will be very very steep, and that's just learning about how to find things, not so much about developing my skills.

For example, apparently "Pose" isn't necessarily about "Posing", it may be a holdover from "Poser" days. Such as for V4 and so forth.

Hopefully what I read a few days ago (about being able to customize the content folders and categories and such) will be usable and reliable, because it's a bit messy how things are set up right now.

I've also observed that there seems to be zero "Smart Content," not even V5 or M5 which came with Carrara.

Overall, I'm still frustrated with the disjointed arrangement of content and how much of a hassle it is to find anything, but at the same time, I am having some success finding things, even if it is one lousy readme at a time.

I shall keep going. Eventually maybe I'll be able to make something! :smirk:

Post edited by Subtropic Pixel on