Carrara Modelling Room - Can't delete portion of object

James_1903529James_1903529 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I'm hoping some of the masters here can steer me right.

I am trying to remove several walls and other objects from a portion of the DAZ Home.

So I load it in the scene
Go to the modelling room
Select the needed vertices to delete
Then press delete, and
... nothing.

It looks as though there are no ways to delete, that I can see.

So any help/walkthrough would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

James

Comments

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited September 2013

I've had this happen too.

It's weird how Carrara refusesto cooperate sometimes.

A few things to try - Be sue the selection tool is set to "all" and not points, lines, or polygons. But sometimes polygon selecting is best. No pattern here I've ever been able to find.

If delete still fails, try to dissolve, or even cut. If that fails, try the empty polygon command, and then delete whatever is left in points and lines.

In a worst case scenario I have had to resort to putting a new shader domain on the selection, adding a shader with full alpha so it doesn't show in renders, and hide the polygons from the command in the view menu.

Good luck getting it to work!

Post edited by Sockratease on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited September 2013

Does it reside in the Figures section of your runtime? Does the house have a hierarchy something like the screen shot?

If so, it may be protected. There's ways around it, but be aware, if you do actually delete parts of it, you'll most likely collapse the shading domains and lose the UVs, in which case you will need to rebuild them to use the textures.

An easier way may be to hide the parts you don't want to see.

Note: This will only work on rigged models. Static props- not so much!

Select Model in the house's hierarchy.

Click the wrench icon to enter the vertex model room, or you can do this by editing in the Assembly room.

If the area you want to hide has it's own shading domain, you can go to Selection--> Select by--> Shading domain. A little control panel will open with a list of the shading domains. Find the one you want and highlight it, then click Okay. If there are multiple domains, then repeat the process until all the areas you want are highlighted.

If you need specific areas within a shading domain, but not all of it, you can manually highlight the polys if you wish.

Once the Polys you want are selected, go to View-->Hide Selection. The polys are now hidden and won't render.

The polys aren't actually deleted, so the shading domains and UV mapping remains intact.

Picture_10.png
    987 x 752 - 154K
    Picture_9.png
    196 x 156 - 15K
    Picture_8.png
    337 x 225 - 33K
    Picture_7.png
    985 x 754 - 153K
    Picture_6.png
    249 x 330 - 20K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Continued....

Picture_13.png
    575 x 487 - 69K
    Picture_12.png
    966 x 753 - 141K
    Picture_11.png
    231 x 356 - 39K
  • SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

Yup - with cr2 files or other protected stuffs, that is all true.

But it's refused to delete polygons on some of my own creations! That's why I went with the ideas I posted. I never understood why that would happen to one of my own models - but they are usually crazy high polygon count fractal obj files made through highly unorthodox means...

Hopefully one of these techniques will work.

edited December 1969

Yup - with cr2 files or other protected stuffs, that is all true.

But it's refused to delete polygons on some of my own creations! That's why I went with the ideas I posted. I never understood why that would happen to one of my own models - but they are usually crazy high polygon count fractal obj files made through highly unorthodox means...

Hopefully one of these techniques will work.

Don't let the posting time fool you! ;-) I think you and I were responding at around the same time, it just took me longer to get my act together and my typing thumbs in gear. We essentially cross-posted.

Since Andy's not here to post faster than me, you'll have to take my standard response to getting beaten to the punch:

Curse you Andy- I mean Sockratease, and your nimble fingers!

• Frank__Frank__ Posts: 302
    edited December 1969

evilproducer's step by step instruction should work, but sometimes I had problems even with this work-around. Last help was to select the to-be-hidden vertices, add them to a new shading domain and set the alpha for new shader on this new shading domain to 0.

edited December 1969

I just had the issue where it wouldn't work on a Poser prop. They were eyeglasses, but they only used morphs to adjust the shape. There was no rigging. I believe that if the Poser style item is rigged, then the described method should work. If not, then it won't and the shading domain and alpha solution may be the best method.

I really should see if the method I described works on Carrara's rigged objects.

edited December 1969

Nope! The method I described will not work on Carrara's own rigged objects for some reason.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited September 2013

if it's a figure you need to derig it sometimes so you can work on the mesh

select model
    edit>smooth object
    then animation>detach skeleton

via daz-spooky thanks :)

of course if you lose your rigging then...... you can't open doors etc as easily

other thing to try is make a morph on the rigged figure if you can then just collapse the verticies into a black hole clump

Post edited by Headwax on
  • pavel_bf2dd66d99pavel_bf2dd66d99 Posts: 12
    edited December 1969

Sometimes I have the same problem, pressing delete doesn't do anything, even on new object, that has no UV or textures attached. But I discovered, that "Delete" command in the menu works in most of the cases. I have no explanation for this, not sure if this is intentional or rather a bug, but I suggest the later is the case.

Hope it helps.

• tbwoqtbwoq Posts: 238
    edited September 2013

Hi Yandorx.

Some features(like Delete) are greyed out in Carrara's model room on Poser imports. They are semi-protected in this way to preserve the Poser import features. There are ways to convert Poser imported models to a native Carrara model to gain access to the features, but as mentioned in earlier replies, you will loose most of those Poser features(like conforming clothes etc.). Its probably safer to just export/import(.obj) the meshes you want to work on.

----

Nope! The method I described will not work on Carrara's own rigged objects for some reason.

The method of hiding polygons in the VM works for native rigged objects. In the assemble room sometimes you have to check and then uncheck 'Display skining bounding boxes' for it to show up in the final render(s).

Post edited by tbwoq on
  • James_1903529James_1903529 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hiding it worked perfectly. Thank you for that, and thanks everyone for the feedback/input... much appreciated, as always.

James