V5 & V6

edited December 1969 in New Users

Since I got brave enough to ask potentially silly questions, I'd like to ask some more...

V5 and V6 are both figures for Genesis 2, right? (I haven't tried working with Genesis at all yet, I have the basic figure, and that's it - I've stuck to V4 so far).

Soooo... If something says it's for Genesis (clothes, say), will it work for Genesis 2?
And if something is for Genesis 2, will it work for both V5 and V6?
Will stuff listed for V6 work for V5 and the reverse?

I'm thinking of getting V5 while it's on sale, but I'm a little lost content-wise, and being on the impoverished side, I have to be careful, so I want to make sure I have the correct impression of things. All these changes are a bit confusing. I've been rather happy with V4, but there is so much cool stuff out there for Genesis, I'm seriously tempted, especially with the sale.

I'm also tempted to start using DAZ Studio, since it's easier to use with Genesis, as well as Poser. I've been a long-time Poser user, since the very first version, and I am not comfortable with DAZ interface, but I suppose I could adjust.

I am also reading that DAZ isn't as memory-hungry as Poser? (I am using Poser 9). I have and 8GB system, and I crash Poser on regular basis when I render...

Thanks,
Tanya.

Comments

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited September 2013

Wrong, V5 or Victoria 5 is a generation 5 character for Genesis which is the generation 5 base figure. V6 or Victoria 6 is a generation 6 character for Genesis 2 Female (G2F) which is the generation 6 female base. An eventual M6 or Michael 6 is planned and will be a character for the eventual Genesis 2 Male base. Genesis 2 Female can wear Genesis clothing and use Basic Female and V5 UV mapped textures. Genesis cannot wear G2F clothing or use V6 textures (or Gia 6 and Girl 6 for that matter). There are add-ons in the DAZ store to allow G2F to Auto-Fit V4 clothing and use V4 textures as well as allow Genesis to Auto-Fit G2F clothing but not use generation 6 UV maps. As much as I like G2F for its improved realism I feel Genesis and its add-ons are the best buy for people starting out.

For a more thorough discussion you may wish to read this thread.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/29117/

Post edited by jestmart on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Totally agree with Jestmart. Also, there is more clothing and variety for Genesis that fits right out of the box and doesn't need adjustments, and Genesis poses beautifully. I don't particularly care for Genesis 2 except a few characters- and there's too much focus on skimpwear and not variety. How many bikinis and swimsuits does Genesis 2 NEED? Genesis has a much better variety of products.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited September 2013

We as users CAN convert any V4 and M4 clothing to Genesis and then save the converted item AS genesis only, you can then load that item to G2F as it can Auto Fit any Genesis clothing, You can then SAVE that version as G2F only. SO in truth ALL clothing Supported by V4, M4, and Genesis can be used on the Genesis two Female. I fail to see why more users do not see that.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    We as users CAN convert any V4 and M4 clothing to Genesis and then save the converted item AS genesis only, you can then load that item to G2F as it can Auto Fit any Genesis clothing, You can then SAVE that version as G2F only. SO in truth ALL clothing Supported by V4, M4, and Genesis can be used on the Genesis two Female. I fail to see why more users do not see that.

Does all of this happen in DAZ Studio?

edited September 2013

Jaderail said:

Does all of this happen in DAZ Studio? Yes, but you the user need to know HOW to do it. Tip: Not all items Auto fit well from V4 or M4 to Genesis, shoes need loads of work to fix or none at all. Once you DO have the item Auto fit to Genesis and adjusted for the BEST fit for most poses, you SAVE AS>Support Asset>Figure/Prop Asset and be sure you save as a New File name so you do not lose the original Item if you Save to the Same folder. Here is the M4 Cold Life shirt on G2F basic done this way, Auto fit to genesis1 Saved. Exit DS and Open again to update files, then G2F loaded and the Shirt-GN1 auto fit to G2F.

Capture1.png
    727 x 373 - 102K
  • edited December 1969

This looks extremely useful. I guess I will have to start using DAZ Studio... Unless you know how to do this in Poser? I really need to dig more into this. I have a lot of stuff for V4 that I'd like to convert. There is a utility by Evilinnocence (i think) that is supposed to convert anything to anything, but I'm having a bit of trouble converting stuff from V4 to Dawn (things just don't work quite right so far), and you need to buy a license for every figure, so I'm hesitant to spend more money on it. At least DAZ Studio is free. Now, once I go through the steps and convert clothing from V4 to Genesis (or Genesis 2) - would there be a way to get it into Poser? If it's a figure, can it just go through DSON like other things?

I'm sorry if I sound like an idjit - until recently, when my hands started getting arthritic on me, I used Poser mainly to, well, pose... For "analog" sketching. And for playing around some. Now I'm trying to all-out convert my artistic endeavor to digital, and there is a lot to learn. I don't even know Poser that well. And I'm trying to learn Vue and Blender and a couple of other things at the same time. Like tree modeling. Sometimes I feel like my head is blowing up. LOL

I did just buy the V5 package. Still figuring out what's what with it - but it did seem to install ok in Poser, thank God.

edited September 2013

Anything you Convert in DAZ Studio you can Create PoserCF Files for. You can then use DSON to send that into poser.

I Also use Xdresser (Cross Dresser) by Evil to Convert older content to V4. I then use DAZ Studio to Convert to Genesis or G2F if I like.

EDIT: To add then all you need is the V4 files, Include the full V4 morph package for XD and thats really all you need for Genesis. The conversions can even be used on Genesis males if you like with Auto fit.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

That's why I said "without any adjustments."