CARRARA CONTENT FOLDER SET UP

2»

Comments

• BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...apologies for the noob-ness, but what is a "scratch drive"?

It's when you run over a deer, and it damages your car a tiny bit, like scratches.
  • adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    It's a generic term referring to one or more disks that are set aside for temporary or "scratch" space. For applications like Carrara and DAZ Stuio it's the drive/folder that temporary files are store on.
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    edited September 2013

Kyoto Kid said:

It's when you run over a deer, and it damages your car a tiny bit, like scratches.

...from my experience having lived in Wisconsin, they usually put good sized dents in the bodywork and because of their high centre of mass and spindly legs tend to flip up onto the bonnet and into the windscreen. ;-)

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

adamr001 said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    It's a generic term referring to one or more disks that are set aside for temporary or "scratch" space. For applications like Carrara and DAZ Stuio it's the drive/folder that temporary files are store on.
    ...so that would still be on the C:Drive (and still be taking up space there)? If so, I don't see the advantage over just installing everything to the C:drive anyway.

BTW my system doesn't have an SSD, just two 7500rpm HDDs.

• ncampncamp Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

...so that would still be on the C:Drive (and still be taking up space there)? If so, I don't see the advantage over just installing everything to the C:drive anyway.

BTW my system doesn't have an SSD, just two 7500rpm HDDs.

If you install to D, the scratch disk will go to D unless you move it.
    edited December 1969

...thanks. Not totally up on the IT aspect of this stuff.

• BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

...from my experience having lived in Wisconsin, they usually put good sized dents in the bodywork and because of their high centre of mass and spindly legs tend to flip up onto the bonnet and into the windscreen. ;-)
    Smartypants! :D
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

Smartypants! :DLook who's talkin'! LOL!!!
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    adamr001 said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

BTW my system doesn't have an SSD, just two 7500rpm HDDs.Yeah,
    I don't have an ssd either. I install all of my stuff to the C drive. All software and content. So to help in this, I've installed a large C, 1.5 TB, 6GB/s SATA2

I have my older (but just by a few months) 500GB SATA2 HDD internally equipped and set up as my scratch drive. This works great as a place to dump copies of entire directories to, when I feel like a change - like now, when I am trying out installing everything via DIM...
    I copied all of my stuff that needs to be obliterated (in order to properly install cleanly with the DIM) over to it.

edited December 1969

...me again. Gave up trying to configure everything to work on the D:drive and decided to just install things normally to the Carrara 8.5 folder.

However i have a couple more questions.

In looking at the Native Content package files, I notice the Genesis/G2F files apparently need to go in the Content/Data/Daz3D folder and the rest to the Carrara 8.5 folder. How is this accomplished when you cannot set two different install targets for the same download in the DIM?

Also there is still a Carrara8 folder with what appears to be folders for the Woodlands Construction Kit. I also have a DL for the Carrara8 Native Content. Does this go there or in the 8.5 folder?

edited December 1969

...OK installed all the Carrara (except the 8.5 Native Content due to the two locations it has to go in), to the 8.5 folder, but when I open Carrara I cannot find any of it. All the Daz/Poser Runtime and Library stuff shows up fine in the browser but none of the installed Carrara content. Even with Smart Content I cannot find it.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

You have nothing in the Scenes, Objects, Shadesr, and Misc. Browsers? What about the scene wizards when creating a new scene?

Note: Screen shot is from C7.2 Pro and not C8.5

Picture_9.png
    1024 x 203 - 95K
    edited December 1969

...I have the basic scenes terrains and skies from the Carrara 8 Native content but I am unable to find the following:

Ecomantics for Carrara
    Skies of Economy for Carrara
    All of my Howie Farkes sets.
    HDR ProSets Yosemite for Carrara
    Digital Painters Shaders

The only one I can see is the Environ Kit - Woodlands but it even looks somewhat incomplete.

I installed all these to the Carrara 8.5 folder.

Also still not sure what is going on with the two different install paths showing for the Carrara 8.5 Native Content that I mentioned in my earlier post. (haven't installed this yet because of that)

• paulg625paulg625 Posts: 4
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...OK installed all the Carrara (except the 8.5 Native Content due to the two locations it has to go in), to the 8.5 folder, but when I open Carrara I cannot find any of it. All the Daz/Poser Runtime and Library stuff shows up fine in the browser but none of the installed Carrara content. Even with Smart Content I cannot find it.

This is the same problem I am having. My first problem was the wizard stuff wasn’t showing up. I read enough info here to solve that issue and decided to try install a few things that were for Carrara. As someone stated above I purchased a Howie Farkes scene. I used the DIM to install. I have the 8.5 version of Carrara and the latest DIM. The wizard and Carrara content show up but not the Howie stuff. I can go to the DIM and look at where it installed it but can’t get Carrara to see it.

I initially tried several different approaches as others here have. Trying to set it up as a runtime ( there is no runtime at the level of the Carrara folder) and it won’t let me enter it.

I set it up as a folder and it will let me see the file structure but nothing shows up in the files.
    I tried in the Scene tab to find but it never shows up there either.
    So any help would be appreciated in the matter.

• paulg625paulg625 Posts: 4
    edited December 1969

paulg625 said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

This is the same problem I am having. My first problem was the wizard stuff wasn’t showing up. I read enough info here to solve that issue and decided to try install a few things that were for Carrara. As someone stated above I purchased a Howie Farkes scene. I used the DIM to install. I have the 8.5 version of Carrara and the latest DIM. The wizard and Carrara content show up but not the Howie stuff. I can go to the DIM and look at where it installed it but can’t get Carrara to see it.

I initially tried several different approaches as others here have. Trying to set it up as a runtime ( there is no runtime at the level of the Carrara folder) and it won’t let me enter it.

I set it up as a folder and it will let me see the file structure but nothing shows up in the files.
    I tried in the Scene tab to find but it never shows up there either.
    So any help would be appreciated in the matter.

I failed to mention I am using a Mac for this I noted that there was a problem with the DIM installing files not sure if this might be a part of problem. I know they are working on this or may have fixed it and I am simply having NOOB difficulties. Just wanted to give as much info as possible.

• invisigothinvisigoth Posts: 155

Has anyone solved this yet?

i just reinstalled carrara and everything is blank, wizard, browser....

i added a folder with custom shaders, and get this ..

Screenshot 2023-02-24 133644.png
    408 x 125 - 8K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712

find out where DIM installed it (it will tell you) and either uninstall it and correct the path in advanced settings in DIM

or cut and paste it to the correct spot (probably not advisable)

for me C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\Carrara8.5

• invisigothinvisigoth Posts: 155

WendyLuvsCatz said:

find out where DIM installed it (it will tell you) and either uninstall it and correct the path in advanced settings in DIM

or cut and paste it to the correct spot (probably not advisable)

for me C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\Carrara8.5

as you can see, i have the content where you said, and everything in carrara is still empty 

Screenshot 2023-02-28 203256.png
    521 x 649 - 55K
    Screenshot 2023-02-28 203832.png
    979 x 613 - 131K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712
    edited March 2023

are you sure? it looks like much should be in subfolders

namely presets

Capture.JPG
    1920 x 1040 - 185K
    Capture.JPG
    1235 x 824 - 121K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Did you also install the Carrara 8 Content pack?

The Carrara 8.5 Content pack only includes the 8.5 updates. You need the Carrara 8 Content to get the main categories, wizard, example models, lights and shaders, etc.,

Also, they need to be installed to the Carrara 8.5 installation directory. 

Oh Man!!! I just looked at this picture you've attached. That's all messed up! Totally!!! Carrara will find Nothing in that mess. Go back and install it the right way, like Wendy's showing!

edited March 2023

This is how you're DAZ 3D > Carrara 8.5 folder should look - with the exception that Wendy might have more or less stuff installed than what you have:

(screen shots by Wendy)

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited March 2023

Inside the "Presets" folder in the above structure is this

(screen shots by Wendy)

Post edited by Dartanbeck on