The Horse Trouble

edited September 2013 in New Users

Hi. I just got my Horse 2 bundle on sale (have been wanting that for ages), but I am having trouble installing it. I have the DSON installed in my Poser 9. I was under the impression that that's all I need to get this new stuff working in Poser? At least the Genesis 2 female seems to show up fine.

Anyways, I installed it into my Runtime for animals - no go. I got the pngs, but loading the figure gets me an empty space. Funny thing is, Poser *thinks* there is something there - it's in the Figure menu - but nothing shows up in the window. I tried different directories, including the main Poser Runtime (they are all sitting in my Documents directory) - and it's all the same thing.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, folks. I really would like to play with my horse. :)

Cheers,
Tanya

P.S. I did try to look for something on this topic, but didn't find anything - sorry if I'm repeating something.
P.P.S. I first loaded just the PC files. Then, out of desperation, I loaded all the files. No go.

Post edited by briar.druid_b79ac7ca09 on

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Did you install both the core files and the PoserCF files to the same location?

• edited September 2013

I installed the Poser files by themselves first, which didn't work. Then I added the other files (don't ask me why, I was desperate). Both procedures gave the same result. In other words, yes, ultimately they ended up in the same directory. I tried Poser files alone in a separate Runtime, in the Genesis Runtime, and in the default Poser Runtime. Then I added the other files to all three. Then I restored the original Runtimes I had backed up before the installation, so I can start afresh at this point..

Just to be totally unambiguous, I keep all my thematic stuff in separate Runtimes - Animals, Genesis, V4, Clothes, etc.

(CF, not PC, of course. Duh. :D)

edited December 1969

Are you installing using DIM, or manually extracting the zips? Is that the same way you installed G2F?

• edited December 1969

I'm doing it manually. I don't remember how I did G2F, to be honest. It makes a difference?

Thanks for helping me, btw. :)

• edited December 1969

I re-downloaded the Horse 2 Bundle, and had the Install Manager plop it into it's own separate directory/Runtime. And everything works now. I'm a tad bewildered as to why it didn't work before, but, I guess, from now on if I am dealing with Genesis-ish stuff, I'll let the Manager install it. Whatever makes it happy...

edited December 1969

When installing manually, you need to make sure that you move what;s INSIDE the "Content" folder in the zip into your actual content folder (e.g. "My Library") -- you don't want a folder named "Content" inside "My Library".

• edited September 2013

Thank you. :)

To be perfectly honest, this business with Genesis-ish stuff is driving me a tad nuts. I've been sort of on auto with V4 and similar stuff - you know, happily downloading zips, unzipping into a backup content folder, then copying the Runtime into whatever Poser Runtime I want. No fuss, no muss: Runtimes merge, Poser happy. I didn't realize that you have to copy *all* the folders from a Genesis-ish Content folder into the Poser Runtime. There ends up being a Runtime within a Runtime, which sent me off the deep end for a bit... That's why the Horse 2 wasn't working: I only copied the Runtime from the Content folder, rather than all the folders (data, etc.) - I thought the extra folders were for DAZ Studio. And then I tried just installing the PoserCF thing, not realizing that that is just an additional file for Poser, not the whole thing - I should have, really, since that folder is kinda small. I finally figured it all out. I hope.

There must be instructions on doing this someplace, but I'm bad on patience. I did try looking, but I suspect I gave up too soon, and thus made a fool out of myself.

Now I just spent two hours figuring out that Genesis morphs are not installed the way V4 morphs are, apparently. It seems that they just show up, rather than having to be injected, and then I have to close Poser, and re-open it before they are there - it seems that simply refreshing the Runtimes in the Libraries Palette is not sufficient for some reason. And then I had to look for them for awhile, since the organization of the morphs is not the same, and they are more nested...

At least now I know how to do the Genesis installation manually, since I like keeping local content backups outside my "official" Poser Runtimes, and, frankly, the installer applet drives me up the proverbial walls.

So, it all seems to work now. Sort of. I wonder if there are any extra morphs for the Horse's mane...

Do you happen to know if the skins for the original Mil Horse would work with Horse 2?