Extinction and De-extinction - Render Challenge 45

HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
edited February 2019 in Art Studio

The latest Carrara Challenge is to illustrate the concept of Extinction and/or De-extinction.

I'd like to invite anyone who uses Carrara to join in. 

I'll be posting some of the work here for those interested in following along.

The thread is here https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/307951/carrara-challenge-45-extinction-and-de-extinction/p1

Excellent start by the artist Bunyip02_Carrara

and 

Below a w#onderful Narrative work by Stezza_Carrara9

and another Work in progress by the artist Tynkere

and one by headwax-carrara about the plight of the Mountain Gorilla

Post edited by Headwax on

Comments

• GreybroGreybro Posts: 2,470

These look great. I wish I could force myself to use Carrerra more often.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922

thanks Greybro - would be wonderful to see you working in Carrara :)

here's a guy called Gregor Mendel

His experiments on plant hybridisation led him to be known as "The Founder of the science of genetics" - one of the threads that lead to the idea of Dextinction - this time via breeding and hybridisation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregor_Mendel

artist headwax-carrara

edited February 2019

work by the artist Stezza 

Dodo - De-extinction!

This one took several renders - 

First I rendered a rooster minus his head and then I rendered a dodo minus its body  and saved them out as PNG files

with PSE I combined them both to get a Roodo bird!

then I set up a scene with a mad scientist ( there's always a mad scientist ) in his lab working on the project to bring back the extinct Dodo bird ( he failed miserably ). I used a plane to use the combined Roodo PNG image to show him up on the table.. I also modeled the straw bales, glasses and scatters the other day and used them.

then I adjusted the final render to get my final image.

edited February 2019

work by the newcomer and quick learner Tynkere !

Tynkere said:

Brains...  Not sure where everyone was going with that, so probably not a good idea to joke about borrowing someones brain to help with Carrara.  I do promise to give it back though.  O_o

On a more serious note, some amazing renders & great stuff!  Had no idea Carrara ould do so many different things-- esp. making your own props

Anyway, here's revision 001.

Had to figure out why a road roller would be in a conservation awareness render-- otherwise it's just a distraction and the whole concept is "no future."  Added some signs and a kiddo playing on it to hopefully add context.

work by the artist Headwax-Carrara

Here's something on worked on a while ago. "Medieval Beekepers."

According to https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/national-honey-bee-day-save-species-decline-pollinators-environment-pesticides-a8461426.html

"... one-third of the UK’s bee population has disappeared over the past decade and 24 per cent of Europe’s bumblebees are now threatened with extinction. 

Given that bees pollinate around one-third of food crops and 90 per cent of wild plants, which in turn provide food for livestock, the implications of this ecological disaster are alarming for biodiversity, the food chain and, ultimately, our ability to feed ourselves."

This work is modelled vaguley after The Beekeepers and the Birdnester by Pieter Bruegel the Elder , 1568.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited February 2019

Finally, I have decided on an idea.

This is such a great theme, yet I have been experiencing a lack of creativity.  Well, picking up on the theme description that referred to education, I remembered some lessons from Latin class decades ago.  

Carthago Delenda Est.

Post edited by Diomede on

thank you Diomede - that's a terrific work!

A Giant Extinct Cow Is Being Brought Back to Life. Scientists are currently applying back-breeding genetic techniques to modern cows containing applicable DNA in order to restore the auroch — a massive bovine renowned in ancient history. The auroch is the ancestor of modern domesticated species of zebu and taurine cows.

Increasing carbon dioxide levels may be making milkweed—the only food monarch caterpillars will eat—too toxic for the monarchs to tolerate. And higher temperatures may also be driving summer breeding areas further north. That means the monarchs’ migration routes will get longer and therefore more difficult.

Honey bees are going extinct because of excessive use of pesticides in crops and certain blood-sucking parasites that only reproduce in bee colonies. It's true that the extinction of bees would mean the end of humanity.

Actually, chocolate milk can come from any kind of dairy cow. Brown cows make the same kind of milk as black and white Holstein cows and reddish Devon cows. Chocolate milk gets its color and flavour from cacao beans. Cacao beans are seeds from cocoa trees.

Overexploitation was found to threaten over 70 per cent of the species we assessed while agricultural activity threatens over 60 per cent of the species.

So overexploitation includes hunting, logging, fishing and the gathering of plants.

A wip by MaJourney  

MAJourney said:

I has no idea what to do with my brain...can I borrow yours?

edited March 2019

Seriously good Manta Ray with link to free mopdel! By Stezza(note to self up to page 4)

MantaRay

you can grab the model from the Wacky Modeling threadsmiley

edited March 2019

Still a couple more days to get an entry in.

Here I tried for a realistic render, which isn't normally my thing.  I went to a natural history museum and took some pictures of the displays.  Here is my attempt to model and render something akin to what I saw.  The text is quoted from the actual display.

Post edited by Diomede on

Entries are closed.

The voting thread is open.  Anyone with a Daz account is invited to check it out and vote.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/313556/carrara-challenge-45-extinction-and-de-extinction-voting-thread#latest

Voting is complete.  Headwax had the most combined votes with entries like the following.  Congrats, Andrew.

Thank you to everyone who voted or visited.