Is There A Way to Show My Entire Category Map?

I was wondering if there is a script or a way to print out or do a pdf of my custom categories inside Studio.  From the top level all the way to the end of each branch. I imagine it would look a bit like a family tree

Comments

• That looks really useful! Something I have not found in the store. Thanks!

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,204

Careful, product page says: Not supported on Windows 10.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    JazzyBear said:

Ya I have this but its not what I'm looking for.   I need a way to see a map of my custom category system.  There doesn't seem to be a way to actually print it or to open all of the categories at once to view it.  It would look like a very involved family tree I would think lol. 

• Does the ancient DOS computer command TREE still work?

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724
    JazzyBear said:

Ya I have this but its not what I'm looking for.   I need a way to see a map of my custom category system.  There doesn't seem to be a way to actually print it or to open all of the categories at once to view it.  It would look like a very involved family tree I would think lol. 

Can you browse it in Windows Explorer?

JazzyBear said:

Does the ancient DOS computer command TREE still work?

I don't know.  How would I do that?

Taoz said:
    JazzyBear said:

Not sure how I would do that?  I'm willing to give it a go though

Taoz said:
    JazzyBear said:

What I mean is, does it consist of folders somewhere in the DAZ Library or are the data in the CMS only? If they are in the CMS only, it may not be easy.

Well it looks like they are in the CMS, according to this thread:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3014421/

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    Rob says

"Start with... http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/metadata/list_compatibility_bases/start ... and replace 'var oContainer = oAssetMgr.getCompatibilityBases( true );' near the bottom with 'var oContainer = oAssetMgr.getCategories();' ... then replace 'var sOwnership = "";' with 'var sOwnership = "user";' ... then save and execute the script. This will provide you with a list of custom categories (i.e., user owned categories). This will NOT however provide you with a list of custom categorizations of assets, if that is what you are after; obtaining that information is performed in the context of an asset - e.g., http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/metadata/asset_categories/start.";
    Taoz said:
    Taoz said:
    JazzyBear said:

What I mean is, does it consist of folders somewhere in the DAZ Library or are the data in the CMS only? If they are in the CMS only, it may not be easy.

lol I kind of figured it would not be easy.

Chohole said:
    Rob says

"Start with... http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/metadata/list_compatibility_bases/start ... and replace 'var oContainer = oAssetMgr.getCompatibilityBases( true );' near the bottom with 'var oContainer = oAssetMgr.getCategories();' ... then replace 'var sOwnership = "";' with 'var sOwnership = "user";' ... then save and execute the script. This will provide you with a list of custom categories (i.e., user owned categories). This will NOT however provide you with a list of custom categorizations of assets, if that is what you are after; obtaining that information is performed in the context of an asset - e.g., http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/metadata/asset_categories/start.";

Yes I am looking for the second one, the custom categories I created inside Studio.  I will have to look further in to that when I am a bit more awake.  Scripting remains complete gibberish to me no matter how hard I try  lol.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,204

If you want to get an idea of what the tree would look like, try the Categorize popup. Right-click any item in your content library and select "Categorize..."

You can see which categories that particular item belongs to (the bright white entries), but you can also expand every branch of every category one at a time (default and custom). You won't change anything if you don't click any check marks (or just cancel), but you will get an idea of how quickly the tree branches out, so imagine all those braches expanded at the same time.

If the categories are .djl file based it seems to be fairly easy to create a treeview list of them all, at least one showing the file names. If it has to include icons it's more complex, how much I'm not sure.

NorthOf45 said:

If you want to get an idea of what the tree would look like, try the Categorize popup. Right-click any item in your content library and select "Categorize..."

You can see which categories that particular item belongs to (the bright white entries), but you can also expand every branch of every category one at a time (default and custom). You won't change anything if you don't click any check marks (or just cancel), but you will get an idea of how quickly the tree branches out, so imagine all those braches expanded at the same time.

I have a very large custom category system in place.  I am looking for a way to actually see it in its entirety with all of the branches extended all the way.

Taoz said:

If the categories are .djl file based it seems to be fairly easy to create a treeview list of them all, at least one showing the file names. If it has to include icons it's more complex, how much I'm not sure.

I do not need the icons just the tree itself.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,696
    edited February 2019

Chohole said:
    Rob says

Yes I am looking for the second one, the custom categories I created inside Studio.  I will have to look further in to that when I am a bit more awake.  Scripting remains complete gibberish to me no matter how hard I try  lol.

That's the first one - make the changes Rob suggested (lines  156 and 159 if you download the current version of the script) and it will give you a list of categories, formatted like this:

/Default/Creatures/Realistic/Default/Creatures/Realistic/Big Cat/Default/Creatures/Realistic/Big Cat/Powerage/Default/Creatures/Realistic/Big Cat/Powerage/BigCat_armor/Default/Creatures/Realistic/Big Cat/Powerage/BigCat_armor/Mats/Default/Lost and Found/'66 Motor Scooter/Default/Lost and Found/'Blowin' in the Wind' Tool

Which lets you see the tree, though you get the trunk and all branches on each line. I just pasted the script into the ScriptIDE pane, made the edits, and clicked the execute button at top-right, then the results appeared in the grey area under the edit area.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Chohole said:
    Rob says

That's the first one - make the changes Rob suggested (lines  156 and 159 if you download the current version of the script) and it will give you a list of categories, formatted like this:

/Default/Creatures/Realistic/Default/Creatures/Realistic/Big Cat/Default/Creatures/Realistic/Big Cat/Powerage/Default/Creatures/Realistic/Big Cat/Powerage/BigCat_armor/Default/Creatures/Realistic/Big Cat/Powerage/BigCat_armor/Mats/Default/Lost and Found/'66 Motor Scooter/Default/Lost and Found/'Blowin' in the Wind' Tool

Which lets you see the tree, though you get the trunk and all branches on each line. I just pasted the script into the ScriptIDE pane, made the edits, and clicked the execute button at top-right, then the results appeared in the grey area under the edit area.

Thank you! I will give this a try

edited February 2019

Here's a small app that can convert paths to tree format. Either load the paths from a text file or right click the left pane and paste the list of paths from Clipboard.

https://taosoft.dk/software/freeware/pttc/PathsToTreeConverter.zip

paths_to_tree_converter.png
    886 x 543 - 84K
    Post edited by Taoz on
    Taoz said:

Here's a small app that can convert paths to tree format. Either load the paths from a text file or right click the left pane and paste the list of paths from Clipboard.

https://taosoft.dk/software/freeware/pttc/PathsToTreeConverter.zip

Thank you very much!  Will give this a shot as soon as I have a spare moment.