DAZ Invents New, Amusing, And Very Useful Adverb For Sarcastic People

2»

Comments

• (*Sigh!*) Stamping the dust from my feet and moving on.

• kloolessklooless Posts: 115
    AllenArt said:

I'm not really too bad when people say something I think doesn't sound right, but for some reason the term "on accident" really makes me nutty. LOL. Like people have forgotten that things happen BY accident, not ON it. LMAO. Saying "pled guilty" rather than "pleaded guilty" sounds wrong to me as well. Pleaded IS the past tense of plead...there is no pled (except here in America where no one cares about grammar anymore - even the legal profession...lol). But like th3Digit has said - language evolves over time.

Laurie

Ahh, another who cringes at the term "on accident". People look at me so weirdly when I start twitching after they've said on accident.  My poor daughters had it drilled into them, so they are now cognizant of others saying it as well!  Another term that drives me nuts, nu-cu-lur (i.e. nuclear).

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,677
    th3Digit said:

when you read Shakesphere and the like and see how the language has evolved ...

Shakesphere, is that like an earthquake? ;)

• 3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,689
    edited October 2017

carrie58 said:

soooo would I be a pain in butt to meantion that "seemlessly" should actually be spelt "seamlessly" ........

That's the entire joke of the thread.

This thread ? A joke ? I shall have to ask you, Sir,  to step outside so that we can settle this like gentlemen !

*Edit: I think I just spotted one right at the end of that video clip! I'd always imagined them as more akin to John Cleese's centurion ("Domum! Um!") in Life Of Brian.

Post edited by 3dcheapskate on
    edited October 2017
    xyer0 said:
    th3Digit said:

when you read Shakesphere and the like and see how the language has evolved ...

Shakesphere, is that like an earthquake? ;)

I do believe that he's actually the brother of Britney Spheres !

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,838
    AllenArt said:

I figure in the internet age we've all become very adept at reading typo (or typosese if you prefer).

Laurie

Spend any time on these forums and you either become adept at it, or go nuts (looks at RH) cheeky

• Bejaymac said:
    AllenArt said:

I figure in the internet age we've all become very adept at reading typo (or typosese if you prefer).

Laurie

Spend any time on these forums and you either become adept at it, or go nuts (looks at RH) cheeky

I had a feeling I was going to be calumnised

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

Now there's a word you don't hear everyday, Richard. (probably because it doesn't exist smiley)

Seriously, though, without rules language would cease to have meaning and thus lose its purpose, which is to communicate in an understandable way. That is not anal, it is simply common sense. Mistakes are one thing, but discarding all the rules out of ignorance or sloppiness is not evolution, it is devolution.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

In the interests of fun and blood pressure, the BBC in the shape of Radio 5 and the rather excellent presenter Dotun Adebayo present a late night (or early morning!) talk show with various subjects around grammar, etc.  It airs at 1am on Mondays so in just under 11 hours from now.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,166
    edited October 2017

+1

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • GranvilleGranville Posts: 679

Hey -  you're fooling yourself if you think any human or god is controlling language! Language is constantly changing and evolving. See my review of Words on the Move by Columbia University Linguist, Dr. John McWhorter.

• SixDs said:

Now there's a word you don't hear everyday, Richard. (probably because it doesn't exist smiley)

It does now.

• Language evolves, but when "Eats shoots and leaves" evolves into "Eats, shoots and leaves" we are all in big trouble.

• Pack58Pack58 Posts: 750

Like Baby Barry who only comes out at night and eats, roots, shoots and leaves. Has me wondering how kiwis are an endangered species?

edited February 2019

Shhhh ! Trying not to wake up this old thread... but... I couldn't resist... it's* still there...

*the 'seemlessly'

• melaniemelanie Posts: 763

I used to work in a word processing center and one of the managers dictated his documents. He always used the word "irregardless." I would correct it to "regardless," but he would send it back uncorrecting it back to "irregardless." It was a losing battle. LOL

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited February 2019
    melanie said:

I used to work in a word processing center and one of the managers dictated his documents. He always used the word "irregardless." I would correct it to "regardless," but he would send it back uncorrecting it back to "irregardless." It was a losing battle. LOL

I think both are actually acceptable, regardless and irregardless 

rather like whelming and overwhelming or flammable and inflammable, they mean the same thing just emphasised

both rather messy words I wouldn't use myself in written language 

nonetheless, however, anyway, all the same are probably better 

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,104

I rejoice that English is not a dead language!  New words are always welcome!

• Greymom said:

I rejoice that English is not a dead language!  New words are always welcome!

And there's a weath of new spellings for words that use the dreaded "ough" devil

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited February 2019

How many people have you heard say "I could care less"? I mean, in actuality you couldn't care less because if you could care less, well then you would care even less. Or something like that :P

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • AllenArt said:

How many people have you heard say "I could care less"? I mean, in actuality you couldn't care less because if you could care less, well then you would care even less. Or something like that :P

Laurie

how careless cheeky

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    Chohole said:

and surely a semi colon rather than a colon in that instance.

Hard to believe Chohole got by without “don’t call me...”

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=dont+call+me+shirley&view=detail&mid=9230C4F1DE6B73B0EDBB9230C4F1DE6B73B0EDBB&FORM=VIRE

• I think this entire thread is out to see...

• well 3Dcheapscape went and woke it up, now it's hungry .........

• no I don’t care laugh

when you read Shakesphere and the like and see how the language has evolved and in more modern times look at American English spelling, the new words being added to dictionaries and new ways of using old words you realise languages are living evolving things like the people who use them, the concept of grammar and spelling was actually invented, not all that long ago relatively speaking either.

Like art, fashion, music breaking the rules for some becomes mandatory.

Just take a look at the origionals of America's founding father's correspondance to see how quickly spelling, capitalization and grammer can and has morphed. English is constantly evolving, only the printing press gives it the illusion of stability.

• i love lamp
  • CbirdCbird Posts: 493

I once graded a short story where the hero kept killing people, then stepped over their prostate bodies. I suspect his victims might not have been long for this world anyway.

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

Text is a noun.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    Cbird said:

I once graded a short story where the hero kept killing people, then stepped over their prostate bodies. I suspect his victims might not have been long for this world anyway.

LMAO