*closed* RRRR chain render contest

TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
edited October 2013 in The Commons

Introducing RRRR chain render contest

RRRR (Random Runtime Roulette Renders) chain render contest is almost like the tradition RRRR contest, but as always, with a twist. The twist this time is that for your second render, you only pull three items and reuse one from your first pull, and for your third pull you reuse one item from the second. The item reused can be any of the four items, which means that you could be using one item in all your renders.

Who can play?

Anyone can play!

How do you prepare yourself for play?

The rules are very simple, but first you need to have all your items in some kind of order in a text file, dumped from the itemized history into a text file or a spread sheet. Remove things like software, gift certs, and special plugins from the list.
Then you use a randomizer to randomly pick 4 items from your list (your Runtime) for your start pull . You can use items from any store.
Now you can start, you can enter up to 5 times, remember to reuse one item from the previous pull for your second pull an onward up to five renders.

Randomizer that works well:
Random Org

Randomizer where you get all numbers in one draw: www.psychicscience.org/random.aspx

There are some situations where you allowed to redraw, these are:

- You picked something that doesn’t work, broken thing, only works in a version / software not used etc etc.

- You picked a software or add-on to a software or anything you should have filtered out from the list.

- You picked only huge environment props and will not be able to render a scene without crashing.

Bundles
If you pull a bundle, use two three complete items from it, or more if you like, but you do not need to use all, but only picking a hairpin from V4 Complete Bundle is “too little”. Clarification: A bundle still counts as only one pulled item.

The rules of madness!

Now you have successfully picked your items, make a scene, you can add other items as well but the one you picked should be prominent or cleverly used. Render it, post it and make us all laugh! Remember though that the renders must follow the TOS of the forum and that there are two categories, best and Funniest but every render automatically enters on both.

Contest duration!

It stats now, and will go on until Sunday October 13 23:59:59 DAZ local time.

Yes, we have prizes, thanks to our sponsors!

This months sponsors so far:
Totte with an item for each of the winners.
Jaderail Due to Summer is at a Close we are at $20 of GC's for this contest. Maybe that will increase soon.
KaribousBoutique Has donated a $5 GC to each category winner plus the grand total winner, plus a texture set or other item from her store at Rendo to each of those three. Karibou will also "gift" these winners the clothing set that corresponds to the chosen texture set, if the winner does not already own it. (Winners must have an account at Renderosity to claim the gift of a corresponding clothing set.)
Luci45 with $20 of DAZ GCs.

Any sponsors are welcome to add to the prize pool, just PM me.
Post entries here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/28997/

Post edited by Totte on

Comments

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

I have a bad habit of not finishing my RRRR projects, so I'm going to try to get an early start this time. And as self-imposed penance I'm taking two extra random draws (which won't be counted for chain purposes).

Draw...

500 - Sushi Time 1
    411 - Candace for Stephanie 5
    54 - Genesis Head Morph Resource Kit 2
    454 - Totally Bazaar Bundle

Penance draws:
    239 - Cleave
    187 - Our Lady of the Dragons

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    edited December 1969

...same here. I get a good draw, start plotting the possibilities, then succumb to Chronic "OS" (Oooh....Shiny") Syndrome after which the train of thought becomes hopelessly derailed and I find myself involved in other scene projects.

Have to rebuild the spreadsheet as I got a lot of new stuff over the last couple months.

So on question, do things like effects cameras qualify?

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,092
    edited December 1969

Well, I'm in! Draw 1:
    1161 = Stalker Girl Boots for Genesis
    854 = GIS Orion
    761 = Digital Cameras
    172 = Millennium Cat

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...same here. I get a good draw, start plotting the possibilities, then succumb to Chronic "OS" (Oooh....Shiny") Syndrome after which the train of thought becomes hopelessly derailed and I find myself involved in other scene projects.

Have to rebuild the spreadsheet as I got a lot of new stuff over the last couple months.

So on question, do things like effects cameras qualify?

Cameras do count, so does shaders. Although if you decided to use Carrara and pull a DS camera, repull according to the rules.
  • KaribouKaribou Posts: 1,325
    edited December 1969

Okay, I'm in! My muse has deserted me and I haven't had an original, creative impulse in weeks. I'm looking forward to this!
    Here's my first pull:

2089 Fantasy Girls: Kaly RO
    5359 Shrunken Head DNA
    97 A3 Sagittarian DAZ
    5262 Sexy Top V RO

I see either Genesis or the fitting room in my future...! The shrunken head should be fun.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

My Prize For this round has been posted. I wish it was more but the Summer contests got me.

edited December 1969

Can someone remind me if there are limitations on the software we use? Like... are DS, Poser, Carrara, Bryce, Vue, Lux, Blender, 3DS Max, etc. all okay? Or is this just a DS/Poser thing?

edited December 1969

Can someone remind me if there are limitations on the software we use? Like... are DS, Poser, Carrara, Bryce, Vue, Lux, Blender, 3DS Max, etc. all okay? Or is this just a DS/Poser thing?

Nope, any software can be used as the items are those who count!

edited December 1969

Totte said:

Nope, any software can be used as the items are those who count!

Sweet!! I got Carrara 8.5 for a song (thank you to those who sponsored the summer contest!!! I never would have afforded it otherwise!) And life has been so crazy that I COMPLETELY forgot I'd been subscribed at Cornucopia for the monthly fee to receive Vue updates as they came out. I just got Vue 11 in my hot little hands, so I'm ready to roll with some software that I have no idea how to use!

I have also decided that, in keeping with the "chain" theme, I will not only use one item from one pull to the next, but I will be telling a coherent story with my renders, as well. Like a twisted soap opera. With a shrunken head.

edited December 1969

I have also decided that, in keeping with the "chain" theme, I will not only use one item from one pull to the next, but I will be telling a coherent story with my renders, as well. Like a twisted soap opera. With a shrunken head.

...sounds a bit like "Mary Hartman". ;-)
    edited December 1969

I finally finished moving all new purchases to my pull list, here we go, Pull #1
    #2316 MECH 2012 Enforcer
    #804 Agnes
    #3045 SciFi Interior
    #3259 Star City Hangar (for Poser) (OnTarget)

Looks like Sci-Fi and with two environments, hmm, kind of cool. I think I know what item to keep though ;-)

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

OK, I'm in on this one early for a change!

First Random Set:

199 Monster Maul Kaiju Add Ons

761 The Hive

802 Caligo Fanum

169 Morphable Meerschaum

Interesting combination! 2 Environments, but I think I can blend them...

• hawkonthewinghawkonthewing Posts: 136
    edited December 1969

I'm in!

Pull #1
    273 Lisa's Botanicals-Grasses and Flowers
    186 Gemologica
    240 Jepes CosmicZ
    104 DM Steps to Eternity

• Ken OBanionKen OBanion Posts: 1,447
    edited December 1969

Trying again, for the third time (DAZ's site is cosmically goobered up again..., still)....

Pull #1:

498- DMs Steps to Eternity
    13 - 19th Century Suit Pack for Michael 3
    824 - Goth Guys
    1983 - Tools and Toolbox

Let's see if this one takes....

edited December 1969

I have also decided that I am going to try to use a different method of rendering in each of my images. I've had Carrara and Reality and Vue sitting on my PC for eons. I barely use any of the above, and they're all excellent. If I get really gutsy, I'll try a bridge to 3ds Max... Have I mentioned that without this contest, I'd never go outside my box??

And two renders with Steps to Eternity... should be interesting to see the differences!

edited December 1969

...well with Vue and 3DS you lose me . All I am best at right now is Daz 4.6.

edited December 1969

Trying again, for the third time (DAZ's site is cosmically goobered up again..., still)....

Pull #1:

498- DMs Steps to Eternity
    13 - 19th Century Suit Pack for Michael 3
    824 - Goth Guys
    1983 - Tools and Toolbox

Let's see if this one takes....

Obviously, the Gods of Random have seen fit to punish me for my absence throughout most of the previous RRRR. Okay. Lesson Learned!

Anyway....

Also used:
    Jamie Hair by AprilYSH
    Glyn Hair by AprilYSH
    M3 Poet Shirt
    Romance Textures for M3 Poet Shirt
    Ancient Prophesies
    Stephanie 3 Petite
    Donna Hair
    The Gunslinger for S3P

Rendered in Poser 9 because..., why not?

TAG: obanion#01

Title: Indiana Jones, This Guy Is Not

In the long and storied history of 'This is a really, really bad idea!', letting the grad student open the sarcophagus has got to be very near the top of the list!

"All-righty, then! So what say we pop this sucker open, shall we...?"

RRRR_Chain_01.png
    902 x 642 - 637K
    edited December 1969

Totte, your sample title in the Entries-Only thread reminded me of an old Texas joke:

Q: Why did the armadillo cross the road?

A: Um..., it didn't.

And on that note, here's draw #2:

1931 - Takeo for Hiro 5
    645 - Expansion Pack for V3 MFD
    750 - Future Light

And my Chained item, from Draw #1...
    Hmm, Let's go with the 19th Century Suit for M3

This is liable to get weird. (Lord, I hope so!)

edited December 1969

TAG:Totte#01

Totte said:
    I finally finished moving all new purchases to my pull list, here we go, Pull #1
    #2316 MECH 2012 Enforcer
    #804 Agnes
    #3045 SciFi Interior
    #3259 Star City Hangar (for Poser) (OnTarget)

Also used:
    Dystopia Commcenter
    V4
    Lemonade+AMP
    WWII-Guns (Webley)

For the screen image (rendered in Vue 11.5)
    Greeble Cityblocks for Vue
    Cydonia 1 for Vue
    Heavy Dropship

Agnes is overseeing the LOL-FRAG operation

rrrrc-01-final.jpg
    1200 x 960 - 222K
    edited December 1969

Cool one Ken, Indy is never wrong or?

edited December 1969

Totte said:
    Cool one Ken, Indy is never wrong or?

Thanks, Totte! I was thinking of that scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark - you know, that "Seriously, guys, you really don't want to do this...!" scene near the end.

LOL-FRAG!? Would you believe I actually Googled that to find out what it meant? Then I took another look at the image.... Oh. Never mind.

edited December 1969

MelanieL said:
    Well, I'm in! Draw 1:
    1161 = Stalker Girl Boots for Genesis
    854 = GIS Orion
    761 = Digital Cameras
    172 = Millennium Cat

TAG:MelanieL#1

Title: Who Done It?

The investigation team was mystified. The crew members were obviously dead, but with no visible marks of violence. And there was no sign yet of any assailant.

"Make sure you get everything recorded before we move them" said Inspector Vee, still with her gun at the ready.
    "What do you think, maybe poison?" asked Sergeant Thomas.
    "Then why is the cat still alive?" the Inspector wondered.

Also Used:
    Crew members (D5, M5 and S5): all with Basic Suit (with Supersuit and Fabricator shaders), Future Cop boots and Duarte, PH Classic and PH Wild hair respectively
    Investigators (Thomas, V5 and Liu): all with Sky Chaser outfit (except for the boots), the women with PH Bubblegum and Duarte hair
    Cat: Pen's Mil Cat Fur (freebie) shader
    Crockery and food from Diner Tableware and Food sets

MelanieL1-Who-Done-It.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 363K
    edited December 1969

And so it begins...
    Ken OBanion "Indiana Jones, This Guy Is Not" - congratulations on being the first to post in the new contest!
    Totte "Agnes is overseeing the LOL-FRAG operation" - yes, I almost missed the obvious too, till Ken pointed out the text in the image - funny.
    And here's my next pull:
    639 = Wolf
    982 = Horse Accessories
    363 = Pattern Magic I - Two-Toned Fabrics
    Chained Item: I think I'll go with the Stalker Girl Boots for Genesis

edited December 1969

Here's my first pull:

5359 Shrunken Head DNA
    97 A3 Sagittarian DAZ
    5262 Sexy Top V RO

Title: Remains of The Day

Kaly knew what she'd find, but it didn't stop the grief. There, on the ground, were the shrunken, dried remains of her tribal sister. She would find revenge...

Okay, so I TRIED rendering this in Reality, but I can't get the lighting right in Reality 2 (DS.) I'm considering DS as my first new software toy, since I rarely, if ever, render in DS. I may be stretching my "New toy with every RRRR render" goal, but it'll do for now.

RemainsofTheDay.jpg
    1800 x 1854 - 399K
    edited December 1969

Next pull:
    4481 Princess DAZ
    1825 Elleth Hair DAZ
    1932 Eve Clothes DAZ

And, since I'm making this a soap opera, I will definitely use Kaly in my next render, possibly Saggitarian for A3, too, if I can get Poser's fitting room to cooperate. I'm going to try a Poser-to-Vue import this time...

• StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,659
    edited September 2013

Here's my first pull:

5359 Shrunken Head DNA
    97 A3 Sagittarian DAZ
    5262 Sexy Top V RO

Kaly knew what she'd find, but it didn't stop the grief. There, on the ground, were the shrunken, dried remains of her tribal sister. She would find revenge...

Okay, so I TRIED rendering this in Reality, but I can't get the lighting right in Reality 2 (DS.) I'm considering DS as my first new software toy, since I rarely, if ever, render in DS. I may be stretching my "New toy with every RRRR render" goal, but it'll do for now.

Oh my gosh that is tragic, horrifying, and darkly hilarious all at once. That shrunken head is something! ...and the pink outfit on the corpse...

Post edited by Storypilot on
    edited September 2013

Oh my gosh that is tragic, horrifying, and darkly hilarious all at once. That shrunken head is something!

Lol!! Thank you. And I was really going for the dark humor, so I'm very glad you appreciated it. It's truly not every day that one renders a shrunken head. On a skeleton. Wearing skimpwear. :D

Still, I have to keep up my game to be in league with this crowd. Melanie's suspiciously innocent cat made me laugh out loud. I've no doubt my own cats are completely capable of such a feat, should they decide I'm not showering them with enough tuna fish and belly rubs!

Post edited by Karibou on
    edited December 1969

Pull #2
    #960 Beard for Michael 4
    #3745 Vignettes for Cheirocrates
    #2426 MORE Textures & Styles for Vintage Army (Rendo)
    And my chain item is Agnes.

edited December 1969

Here's my first pull:

5359 Shrunken Head DNA
    97 A3 Sagittarian DAZ
    5262 Sexy Top V RO

Love it!

edited December 1969

Beautifully weird - and I'm impressed with the "new toy" self-imposed challenge - but don't be giving Totte any more ideas! :)
    On cats: yes, I usually think they are capable of anything, very tricksy characters.